knife hygiene.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Ok... Im sorry for the overly erudite and complex terminology... my meaning is to use the little thing crammed inside the thing what sits on your shoulders... lol

Yes today the human race has degraded so far from reality that Im suprised kids even know what dirt is & heaven forbid... fresh air... yes we are becomming a species so far removed from our natural habitat that we will have to design an enclosure for ourselves like the ones they have in modern zoos... hahaha

what scares me is Im also a qualified OH&S Auditor too... lol

So I say ban anything with the words "Anti- whatever" get sick once in a while and move on... Our chosen hobby is all about getting back to nature, why are we bringing the very opposite out there with us?

Karl

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Templar, I'm not a fan of the cotton-wool wrapped society either. I'm happy to hear a wipe on my trousers is enough as I didn't want to have to wash it every five minutes.

The only reason I was asking is I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to kill myself :p

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
and considering that most native peoples in the third world who use their large blades to clear all sorts of brush, clean game, dig holes and prep food with the one blade and hardly ever wash them... they still live...

Whilst I agree that hygiene can go "over the top" (to use an army expression ;) ), but at the same time please remember that as "gung ho" and romantic as it sounds to rough it without proper hygiene, the lack of it is a killer. Millions of people in the "third world" of which you speak, die of diarhoea every year.

I think the question of "knife hygiene" is perfectly acceptable and many ignorant people could benefit from the replies.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Susi: Im not against hygiene in the field, its a very important aspect of living in any environment, but I do believe you will find that the vast majority of deaths related to the runs is from contaminated drinking water and not from tools used... because I actually live and work in the "third world" of which I speak... the water from an average "clean" water source contains a high amount of human and animal waste, either from directly unloading of the waste into the water source or from leaching through the soil. Also the use of human waste to fertilise crops is still wide spread here too... so I think a little something on your knife is the least of your worries... sorry to sound preachy but its the truth of the matter here in the "third world".

Asa S: Its not meant to be a ribbing mate, and Im happy to have people ask questions when they are not sure, it shows intelligence and thought... keep asking and learning.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Something no one has mentioned is the possibility of picking up something nasty on your knife blade and then cutting yourself, even slightly with it. Any bacteria on the blade is now in your blood stream.

I believe that I will continue to wash mine. Plain old soap and water will do nicely, you don't need an autoclave! But, I'm not going to give 'er a swipe on my pant leg, either. But, to each his own.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Something no one has mentioned is the possibility of picking up something nasty on your knife blade and then cutting yourself, even slightly with it. Any bacteria on the blade is now in your blood stream.

I believe that I will continue to wash mine. Plain old soap and water will do nicely, you don't need an autoclave! But, I'm not going to give 'er a swipe on my pant leg, either. But, to each his own.

Yeah, but then you'll get a lot of 'Well don't cut yourself' replies to that :p

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I personally think it all depends on your own immunity, if your are from a family where dirt was quickly washed off, and you were encouraged to wash your hands every five second, then it is quite possible safer to wash every knife and your hands, after every use.
But if you grew up in a house where hand washing was mandatory only after toilet trips, and before bed time, chances are, you have a reasonable immunity to all local bugs.
My daughter hardly gets colds, sniffles, upset tummy and the like, as she has a good immunity to everyday bugs, her friends comedown with everything ‘going’, for I suspect the same reason.
So if you have to ask the question I’d say wash in very hot water, wipe, and oil your knife after every use.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I like to take a mora knife to prep meat with, if I don't take it I use my hipfask of whiskey and give it a good swill, normally then a good wah in soapy water when I get home.

Never been ill yet.

If I knew I'm going to get it bloody I just use the good old cheap knife, plus its got a plastic handle too so really easy to clean.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I usually wipe it on my trousers as many people here it seems.
But when butchering game or fish I wash it in a stream or use sphagnum moss.
I have however never washed my sheath knives in soap and water in the field nor at home, as I don`t bother. I`ve cut myself countless times whittling and preparing game and never got an infected wound. Maybe I`m just lucky, I don`t know. But infected knife cuts seems very rare up here, as in, I`ve never heard of any.

If you want to properly clean your knife then do it. Better safe than sorry as they say.

Tor

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
You guys know entirely too much about how to prolong the wear of your underwear! LOL.

Now I know why Traderran bought those "peanut" lighters, it was to burn his underwear when he took them off!

Seriously, I have always suspected that carbon steel might not allow anything such as bacteria to grow on it. I wonder if it has any anti-bacterial properties? Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Carbon steel anti-bacterial ? I don't think Iron of Carbon has those properties* (but keeping the blade polished, clean and free of rust and crud means the 'bugs' don't have anywhere to live )

If you want your blade to stay totally hygienic, you should get it silver-plated

Or leave it exposed to strong sunlight so the UV can kill the bugs

Personally I subscribe to the "Peck of dirt" theory

* I shall, however ask a Bio-chemist I know and get back to you

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I did a bit of research on this and discovered that stainless steel has some antibacterial properties. Carbon steel apparently does not. Ceramic blades are not antibacterial, but they are "pitless" on the surface and therefore have lower bacterial counts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE