watch strap compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all
anyone here know where I can get hold of a watch strap compass?
the sort you thread onto the strap rather than a compass on it's own?
I had one made by gelert and well it wasnt um...rugged enough and basically fell apart-it was only a cheap plastic mount and button compass but it was handy for the general direction i was travelling in,
it bust about a month or two ago and I'm finding life very irksome without one.
If anyone could point me in the direction of a more abuseable one (I think last one was done in my constant jumper removal and general bashing) I would be very grateful
many thanks in advance
Regards
Sa,

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
People who are in to the sport orienteering usually use thumb compasses, which are great and fast for navigating. Some of these guys however use wrist compasses. In the even more narrow field of bike orienteering (it exists! Weird, huh?) wrist compasses are the norm. If these suits your need is another question, but they are built tough and have scales adapted for fast reading. If you can find an orienteering shop the can most likely order one for you.

221881055S.JPG

This is a wrist compass made by Moscompass, the model is called Moscow 8B and is made for bike orienteering, the pic is taken from an orienteering webshop called letro (letro.se). As you see, it's a pretty big difference to the ordinary field compasses usually used for outdoor purposes. It differs in use too, but once you have learned to use it, it's very fast and reliable. Personally, I prefer a ordinary compass (silva ranger range) or thumb compasses (silva 66 OMC).

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
A google on watch strap compass found a Silva model for a fiver, obviuosly I have no expereince of it, but might be worth a shot if no one suggests a model based on personal expeerience.

Graham

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Silva has two watch strap models. One is a watch-strap version of their SERE compass, and is fairly crap IMNSHO (bubbles in short order). The other looks like one of their normal compasses, but with everything but the house cut away. I had one for years, but it did die and I never bothered to replace it.

I've got a watch strap compass (on my watch strap) which is the same style as the Silva one, but is not branded. I got it fairly cheaply, attached to a webbing keyring at the Eden Project, so is probably available from other tourist attractions.

I've not had any problems with it, and it was very economical.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've seen them for sale in the various outdoors shops around the Lake District, but usually find that if you compare a few, north is all over the place. Anyone else found this?

Dave

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I've seen them for sale in the various outdoors shops around the Lake District, but usually find that if you compare a few, north is all over the place. Anyone else found this?

Dave

yes. Well, not in the Lake District but I do notice cheap-o's that point all over the place.

I sometimes use a wrist compass similar to the one shown by big swede, suunto model. It's got a 'side-reading window' and a card instead of a needle. You read the bearing through the side which means the card is reversed as seen from above, so not always easy to read. Kind of weird from what I am used to but is an ok compass.
http://www.suunto.com/suunto/Worlds...LDER<>folder_id=2534374302757916&bmUID=i46IQ2.

I've used both silva wrist models, both developed bubbles. That Marbles compass looks to be my next tiny compass.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
My recta as stated lives on my watch strap and has done for the last few years and i never take my watch off (unless operating machinery), its still points to a coincident north with all my other compasses (as i teach nav that quite a few) including a silva 54 and recta DP6 which are not cheap compasses.

For the price (about &#163;4-&#163;6) just get one you wont be dissapointed

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I use a Silva SERE40 slip on compass, had it for the last 5 years and still going strong, no bubbles, no diviation...I had it when I was still in the services and it goes with me everywhere..

Karl

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'm sorry, I feel a bit thick now, I should have read the OP a bit more thorough. I thought you wanted something completely different. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE