The right to wield??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I enjoy using different styles of edged tools. As I've got older there are fewer and fewer in the rotation drawer. There are a couple of Moras, a few mid range scandies one BCF and one Serrata. Several folders and other odds and ends too but that's not what this is about.

My advice, for what it's worth, to anyone starting out, is get a Mora. Learn to use it, sharpen it and care for it. When you are happy with your ability go and look around for your ideal knife, which might just be that Mora.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Its not that an expensive knife can do more than a cheap one (designed for the task i.e. a mora not a kitchen knife), id say that in most occasions almost all the tasks can be done with a mora over a more expensive bushcraft knife. IMHO it’s the ethos of using a knife with natural products (wood, leather etc) and the warm feeling of promoting a dyeing craft, knowing that your knife is individual and personal to you and that a craftsman has poured his heart and soul into your piece.

Where the may well be some snobbery i think the majority would advise that they get a cheaper knife (what’s £10 for a mora against the investment of a bushcraft knife) to learn to sharpen, discover personal preference of grinds size etc. and generally see if bushcrafts for you.
Just a few thoughts,
George

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think it depends more on the tool maker than the tool. You can get good knives and bad knives regardless of price.
The key is to become familiar with knives (or all tools that are important to you) Once you `know` a tool you can tell what is a good one and what is a bad one from the feel in your hand and knowledge of the way it was made.
I use paints, pencils brushes and paper as my everyday tools. I do not have to look at price anymore, i know what is a good brush from a poor one and I know paper quality from touching it. I know good graphite and I know I can buy the best in stationary box for £1 of all places because I use it and `know`.
This applies for all tools. For me to pick up a knife Im not able to tell beyond the basics what is a good knife from a bad one, but Im sure an expert in the field can discern quality in a way that I have yet to learn in this field. Quality is an unspoken language.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I own several top end knives to show my students and just because they are nice to own and feel great in use.

However I normally use a Frosts Mora as I have dozens floating around. On courses I only use a Mora. I think its important to use the same knife as the clients to demonstrate that practice and a little skill will allow them to achieve good results.

Some people can be a little anal about the tools they use. It's results that count. I would rather some carved a perfect feather stick with a flint flake than a demented christmas tree with the latest designer knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE