sass smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
After weeks of indecision I decided to buy a Sass smock in olive green ventile in all but name and I thought I'd post my initial thoughts.

I have to say I was a little disappointed by the feel and look of the fabric. It was shinier, more rustly and less natural-looking than I had expected. No doubt this was due to the proofing that Paul at Sass had told me about.

The sizing is very generous. I am 5ft 11ins and 42 chest and ordered a 180 40-42 ins and it is pretty big and long in the arm, although by adjusting the velcro cuffs and midriff cord it can be made to fit.

I'm really impressed with the storage space. The external pockets are huge and with the poachers' pocket and the internal chest pockets and arm pocket there is more than enough room to stash everything.

I haven't had chance to test it in rain yet, although that will probably change this weekend. I'll post again when I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Shiny? Rustly? .... I hope that changes, as thats the last thing I'd want to be wearing for that price.

Hope it works out though and look forward to seeing if these kinks iron themselves out as it gets worn in.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Tell us how you get on as I am about the same size as you and have considered many times to get that jacket (or one in the "Kit-carry" family)from SASS.

I know them to be a very good company, but it's good to know from first hand how the products cope! ;)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Once its been through the wash once the fabric is completly different ,
Far better feel to it .
Twodogs

That's good to know. I've just returned from a weekend in the woods with it and its beginning to grow on me. The weather was good so no chance to test its water resistance but having that amount of storage space was very useful. I've a feeling its going to win me over. Now I need some rain!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I love mine but wear it so much haven't washed it...well thats the story I am sticking to.
Good jacket, spoke to Paul the other day about some pants.
Dave

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Same here had mine for a while and love it.
My mate has one of the newer ventile alike and has cottonproofed it and reckons it performs, weatherwise at least as well as his single ventile smock(also cottonproofed).

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I have a SASS Kit Karry and very good jacket 10/10 cant think of anything i do not like.

Anyone wanting one try ebay first, there has been several in recent weeks.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've got a black one from SASS made, i think, from the same heavyweight cotton fabric- i think they used to market it as 'special quality cotton' until they realised how much people wanted things like ventile! Had it for about 6 years now. Great quality, not too waterproof though, and does take rather an age to dry.

Washing with a large amount of 'Comfort' or similar fabric softener does wonders to cheaply reproof the fabric (contains a large amount of silicon i believe), and certainly when treated like this, it helps it dry out quicker.

For a while i had a goretex (ex dutch issue parka liner) permanently buttoned into the inside of it. These are very thin, pertex lined, and you don't notice you are wearing them (until you have to do any heavy exertion). Completely waterproof and no damage from flying sparks.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok just a few points as I spoke to Paul at Sass today.
The manufacturer reckons its as good as ventile if not better as they tried to improve on ventile. I does stiffen up when wet but not as much as what people say ventile does.
I got really wet today and all I had was a little dampness at the cuffs no leakage anywhere else. Its quiet but only as much as what its rubbing against ie your goretex trousers!
Finally talking about washing Paul says ignore the instructions in the coat and hand wash in hand hot water with minium of powder rinse well and then drip dry not tumble dry.
I am in the process of looking at the trousers that they do in 'Oxford Weave' as I like them so much...he's sending me a sample of the sand colour they do £65.
Dave

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
HI

Had a quick look and this is the only one at mo on evil bay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SASS-sas-SMOCK-combat-JACKET-German-FLECTARN-dpm-VGC_W0QQitemZ370191107841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item370191107841&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1684|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Ref: 370191107841

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
BUMP - i have to wash my SASS smock today, Tommy please tell me what you mean!!!

The way it was explained to me was you choose very gentle stuff to wash it in like soap flakes or the ecover liquid and use the bare minimum amount you feel you can get away with and still get it clean. Then gently hand wash in warm water, rinse and drip dry. That way, Paul said, you preserve the proofing for the longest possible time.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
But what soap specifically? And I never new the smocks came with any sort of proofing on them. Again what specifically is the proofing they apply?
thanks in advance.

I've had mine for 6 months nearly and only washed in once - in the washer - cold water - no soap/conditioner/softner - just plain old water. Came out fine but then again it wasn't too dirty to begin with. I'm just wondering how I would clean it if it was caked in mud and such.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE