Forest, Fishing and Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 17, 2009
London
Hi All

I am new to this forum and will start by saying Hi to all.

I am getting incredibly bored of normal campsites, as they are too busy, kids running around and shouting, and all the usual stuff.

Basically, I am looking into wild camping, and want to know if anyone knows a nice spot that matches my description. I would like to set up camp next to or very near a river or lake where I can do a little bit of fishing. I would like to set up camp inside a forest, and preferably have the permission to make a camp fire. I just want to relax in a secluded area, I dont mind if there are people around, but I dont want a busy campsite either. I would prefer wild camping in an area where the owner of the land is easy going with what I want, or even a wilder campsite that matches my description.

Any ideas?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
First of all, welcome to the forum! I'm certain someone here will be able to point you in the right direction, however we'll need a bit more info from you! Where abouts do you stay, what kind of distances are you willing to travel etc. How much experience do you have, what sort of kit etc etc, load us up on info about yourself and what you like, don't like and you should get a more meaningful replay than this :D

Apr 17, 2009
London
Cool, sounds fair enough.

I live in London, and am pretty much willing to travel just about anywhere in UK, with the exception of Scotland as it is a bit far to travel for a camping weekend (even though I know there are some nice spots up there, and wild camping is not illegal).

I have done a bit of camping in South Africa (where I am from) so have a fair bit of experience. However, I dont plan on camping 100% bushcraft style, will take most of the supplies with, so hopefully it will be relatively close to a place where we can park the car and so we dont have to trek for too long with all of the supplies.

Basically just looking for a relaxing spot to pitch a tent, sit around the campfire with a few beers and do a bit of fishing in the river/lake that runs alongside our camp. Just want to get out of the hustle and bustle of day to day life in London and rough it up a bit.

Hope that answers some questions.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I would like to set up camp inside a forest, and preferably have the permission to make a camp fire.

Best not light fires in forests (or on heathland). It's really bad etiquette to lay waste to acres of the environment. I've wild camped in Scotland for years and don't risk it.

Jim

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
You can have fires in forests and woods you just have to be sensible. Unless the conditions are ultra dry. As always you need the land owners permission. Have a look at songs of the paddle forum too they may have some ideas.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm not a angler, so can't recommend any specific spots or contacts, but I live in Maidstone and have seen aglers along the banks of the Medway doing night fishing - there's a sign on the gate that says it private property though. I work in Canterbury and I have seen one or two other private fishing lakes that also have night fishing.
So, my suggestion is, why not do a google search for private lakes that allow night time fishing? There will be a fee to pay, but at least you can guarantee you can go there and, at night, there is unlikely to be many around so you could find a secluded spot all your own!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE