Lost Crafts by Una McGovern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I did a search but was a bit surprised to not find this so I figured I'd throw it out there.

My sister had this book, and it was pretty cool - some of it will be quite basic for a lot of people, but a very interesting read for many, I'm sure. It details plenty of lost crafts such as coopering, wheelwrighting, rushlights, making coracles etc. It goes into extensive detail for some (basically describing the whole process), provides historical excerpts as sources, and at the end of each subject it provides information on where to go to pursue the craft yourself. Twas a great book, and one I must buy for myself!

Not sure how this ISBN stuff works so I've just copied both numbers from Amazon
# ISBN-10: 0550104267
# ISBN-13: 978-0550104267

Pete

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Reviewed by a certain Robin Wood too :)

Indeed it was, and it may be the only amazon book review I have done. When I bought it there was only one 2 * review which I didn't feel was very fair. It is not a "how to do crafts" book more a taster, general interest and historical book, if you enjoy that sort of stuff as I do then it is a good one.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
I got a copy for Christmas, as has been said it doesn't go into vast detail on each topic but it covers a large variety of lesser known crafts and provides enough information to inspire people to learn more and enough detail to give you a taster of the craft. I think its a great read personally and would reccomend it as an addition to anyones bookshelf.
George

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Shewie - Beware though - after reading it I spent the rest of the holiday obsessing about how I couldn't properly peel rushes for rushlights! :p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed it was, and it may be the only amazon book review I have done. When I bought it there was only one 2 * review which I didn't feel was very fair. It is not a "how to do crafts" book more a taster, general interest and historical book, if you enjoy that sort of stuff as I do then it is a good one.

Well...on yor recommendation, I've ordered it :)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE