Making a sling for a Woodlore neck sheath (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Back when he was appearing on the BBC Tracks series Ray Mears would often carry his neck sheath slung under his arm using a sling fashioned from paracord. Although I usually carry my knife in a belt sheath I do find that this shoulder set up can be handy.

I spent a three weeks with Woodlore in Namibia in 2004 and quizzed Ray about this set up, the following is based on what he told me...

You will need approximately,

3.5 meters of thick cord (5 - 7 mm dia.).
60 centimeters of thin cord (4 mm dia.).

5860545081_230bc46e27.jpg

This text presumes that the reader is right handed and that the knife will hang under the left arm, with this in mind, the cord should be wrapped so that the working end nearest the throat of the sheath exits the belt loop in a way which will pull the handle into your body.

5861096730_8073a2ec50.jpg

It will take about 11 to 12 rotations to fill the belt loop, note that the working end nearest the throat should be about 30 -35 cm long. The cord end at the bottom of the sheath will be longer, do not worry about how much extra cord there may be, you will need some spare to make adjustments later.

5861096804_e343194267.jpg

You are now going to tie the working ends together using two double fishermans knots, begin with the shorter working end nearest the throat of the sheath.

5860545275_6b95becfc4.jpg

Tying a double fishermans knot.

5861096946_400d72793f.jpg

Both knots tied.

5860545417_c5f07c261c.jpg

Once the knots are tied pass the sling over your head and tighten it to secure the knife under your arm. Check that when tight the knots sit comfortably on your chest and not at your shoulder where it would interfere with rucksack straps, if they do, adjust accordingly.

5860545485_28cd4366f3.jpg

Some neck sheaths provide a slot for a firestick, the following describes how Ray secures the steel to the shoulder sling.

5861097130_388bd340fc.jpg

The first stage is to attach the 60cm piece of para cord to the shoulder sling using a Prusik knot.

5861097204_22ef0c22cc.jpg

Loop the working ends two or three times around the sling.

5860545695_b6c9b2fee5.jpg

Then pull them through the bight.

5860545767_0885c0f5b6.jpg

Secure the bight with a knot, insert both working ends into the firestick eyelet and secure with a knot.

5860545861_9fdab0d342.jpg

The Prusik knot will slide along the sling.

5860545939_2cd25f0dde.jpg

Secure your sheath tightly under your arm and confirm that the fishermans knots do not interfere with your pack or other equipment, only then should you trim any excess cord.

Thanks for looking

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjellstorm

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Very nice, I've used baldrics before but that's leagues better in terms of looks and simplicity, plus you've got a length of cord if you need it. I'll need to buy me some paracord!

Pete

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Its looks great but surely with a bergan it is going to be problematic?

I have used this set up while wearing a pack and the cord didn't dig in too much, however you are right, if someone is heading out with sizable pack then a proper neck knife set up (like the one demonstrated in Pict's excellent video tutorial) would be another way to go.

If I'm traveling light I carry my gear in a shoulder bag which poses fewer problems while wearing a shoulder sling, that said my knife is usually carried on my belt these days.

:)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
It took a bit a successive link following,but I knew I would find a tutorial for what I was looking for - going to have to get some more paracord. Cheers for posting (even though I'm a few years late!)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It took a bit a successive link following,but I knew I would find a tutorial for what I was looking for - going to have to get some more paracord. Cheers for posting (even though I'm a few years late!)

Now that is perseverance, this is an old thread. Find some thicker cord for the neck loop, it will be more comfortable, it doesn't have to be anything special, something from B&Q will do the job. The cords used in the tutorial are the ones supplied by Woodlore with their Aussie hootchie.

Stick some pics up when your done. :)

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I did the same sling style wrap on my Rm knife about 8yrs ago,And when I took the Cord off I saw that I had put a Deep scratch on the sheath where I had wrapped it to tightly and had to use a knitting needle to push it through ,I was well gutted.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I did the same sling style wrap on my Rm knife about 8yrs ago,And when I took the Cord off I saw that I had put a Deep scratch on the sheath where I had wrapped it to tightly and had to use a knitting needle to push it through ,I was well gutted.

That is character, not damage and anyway your supposed to whip it off now and then to winch freshly killed deer of the ground or to help fashion a makeshift marquee or similar. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE