First trip out in the new canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Took a sneaky trip up to Loch Lomond on Sunday to give my new boat it's maiden voyage.
Put in at Aldochlay and set off round the south end of Inchtavannach, as I came round the corner into the big water things got a bit scary with big 4ft swells breaking and gusts almost tipping me out. Hence the reason I've no photos of the trip out.

Camp for the night. You can see how strong the wind was pressing against my tarp. It even snapped one of my placcy tents pegs I've been using since I was about 12 years old.
DSC00890.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

View from my hammock
DSC00892.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00894.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

By about 4 o'clock the wind had dropped completely so I went back out for a play again.
DSC00897.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

As the light dropped I got a text message to say a few guys from SOTP were on their way round.
DSC00900.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

We had company for the whole night with this little guy sitting within arms reach of us munching on Stu's mediterranean tomato biscuits.
DSC00905.jpg

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Looks like a good trip Rich did you get my pm ref my chuffin client!!!!!

Sounds like I would have had fun paddling the old sevvy against winds and swell like that.

Still it looked great and I was gutted to miss the trip ill be up for the next one for def.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a good trip Rich did you get my pm ref my chuffin client!!!!!

Andy

LOL

Yeah I did mate, I hope you give him a hard time when you see him.

We'd have probably taken the easier route round the north end if you'd come, saying that my Sevy did okay in the wind considering.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Rich, great pics, pic 8 is a nice scenic shot pity those bouy's are in it.No luck with the wind again! at least there doesnt look like theres a down pour to go with it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks like a great trip out there Shewie, thanks for sharing :)

Got to ask the question though..... is that a wallaby? Only reason I ask is because the picture is very blurred but from what I can make out the stance seems to indicate it

We had company for the whole night with this little guy sitting within arms reach of us munching on Stu's mediterranean tomato biscuits.
DSC00905.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a great trip out there Shewie, thanks for sharing :)

Got to ask the question though..... is that a wallaby? Only reason I ask is because the picture is very blurred but from what I can make out the stance seems to indicate it

Yes it is Steve, there's loads of them on there. I didn't believe it myself until I went there the first time. They do normally hop off when they see you but this guy made his way down to our camp and settled with us for the night.

Glad you got the boat wet. For such a windy day, just drop your tarp/hammock lower down ?

Nick

I probably would've done Nick come nightfall but the wind dropped completely in the end.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Out of curiosity,seeing as this thread is about canoe camping, how hard/or easy is it to right them if worse came to happen and you capsized? and how easy is it to get back in?
The reason i ask is because i had a two seater angler sit on top (for messing about on the coast) and before we took it out properly we practised capsizing and righting(righting not a problem getting back in without tipping again abit tricky) and getting back in and it wasnt as easy as i thought it would be, (we wore wetsuits and bouyancy aids) and a sit on top sits alot lower in the water than a canoe and wearing wetsuits we were'nt as affected by the cold?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Great pics and post, my canoe fund is about to be used up seeing as my wifes expecting, oh well one day.

All the best.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for comments guys

No shots of me paddling unfortunately although I think there will be some on SOTP eventually.

Got to try out the new Honey stove by cooking some chinese pork ribs with rice and mushrooms. Found some dead oak to use for embers as the pine I'd brought with me was just burning too hot to cook on.

Can't wait for the next one :D

Great pics and post, my canoe fund is about to be used up seeing as my wifes expecting, oh well one day.

All the best.

Congrats Simon :35:

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Nice pics shewie, looks like you had a good one. And interesting company:D
I'm hoping to get into canoeing at some point as well.

My sea kayak does fine on the lochs but would be no use for river travel.
I also like the fact you can get soooo much more gear in a canoe to make life that wee bit more comfortable:beerchug:

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
I really am going to have to convince SWMBO that we NEED a canoe.

Simon

Let me know how you fared with the other half, if it was successful i will try it and if it wasnt successful at least i can try something else to get my canoe!!

Those photos really instill what its all about, i have a trip in may and after seeing your post i really really cant wait!

wallabies too ! i wonder how they got there???
somebodies pet that they no longer wanted maybe???

Improviser

Tenderfoot

i can relate to that mate im in the same boat (pardon the pun) g/f expecting due in november, me & the bro in law goin on since xmas bout buying a second hand canoe and sundries.

As she has not a clue about this if we dont dive in soon she will put me on a lead & give me spending money outa my wages!! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE