My new SWC Knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
A while back I invested after considerable thought in a custom made knife by Steve Wade Cox, and it arrived this morning!

And boy was it worth the wait!

I'll try to post some pictures soon but for now I'll try a describe her. . .

She has beautiful maple scales with black fiber inserts that cloak the tapered tang to perfection . . .

. . . The brass bolts and lanyard hole add to the charm of the handle before it descends nicely to the blade. . .

. . . the blade starts as a strong and powerful looking 4mm, tapering gently towards the immaculate spear tip where it is a more slender width of around 3mm . . .

. . . Its new home is a rich brown tan neck sheath with firesteel holder that fits like a glove.

Hope you get the idea!

And if you were wondering, Yes, I like my new knife!!

If anyone is considering one of Steve's knives, you won't be disappointed!!

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
I have one of Steve's knives and they it is great, the level of workmanship is awsome he reduced the blade size for me as I have wee hands. A real user for me.
Good luck with it. I like the sound of a black liner and maple scales.

sparksfly

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
London
Hi Chaps,

Steve is certainly a busy chap - my new knife arrived last thursday too. It is a woody clone with tapered tang, oak burr handle scales and my name etched on the blade. The quality of the workmanship is awesome and someone more sentimental might have been tempted to keep it in a display case. Instead, I took it camping at the weekend and used it for making a billy hanger / food skewers, preparing food, striking the firesteel, and I even batoned it through some birch logs to make kindling. It performed brilliantly.

The only downside to ordering a knife from Steve is that he is in high demand and I had to wait about 5 months for mine. However, I consider that demand for his knives is a positive endorsement of the quality of his work, and five months' wait is nothing compared with the decades of useful service I can expect from my knife.

Highly recommended.

Sparksfly

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
I'm just putting the finishing touches to one of his woody clone blades with some gorgeous desert Iron Wood. Will put some pics up when done. Am very impressed indeed with the quality of his blades (I bought 2) most notably the superb grind. Get's my reccomendation anyway.

Apr 2, 2009
cardiff
hi, i have tried getting hold of swc knives over the last week and a half but i cant get hold of him. does anyone know if he's still making them? any help would be great cheers

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
I received my SWC knife last tuesday......so he should still be alive:eek: .
GREAT knife and looks better then a standard woodlore (proper birdseye and black handle liners).

I learned that you have to have alot of patience with Steve regarding emails.....but just keep waiting for his reply. I'm confidend he will come trough. The reply will probably start like: "I'm sorry for the late reply, i'm having difficulty with my computer..etc...." :D

I can imagine that the man has TONS of work with his superb woodlore clones and since he only works by himself i think you have to bare with him regarding his poor communication managing.....It's worth the wait though!:headbang: :headbang:

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
Looks like a lot of people got there knives recently.

Happy owner of a SWC knife since last Monday :), and as like Bogeyman said, his communication is slow but the wait is really worth it !

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Sorry folks!

Forgot to out the pics up here, apologies for the quality, from my phone!

Knife1.jpg

Knife2.jpg

Needless to say, I well impressed and really pleased with my choices and Steves workman ship!

Sorry for the delay!

Drew

DFT

Mar 3, 2009
West Sussex
Hi Drew,

Great looking knife!
I know this is a while after you posted these pics but I'm planning to order an SWC knife this week and was wondering about the width and profile of the handle scales?!
I'm cursed with big hands and therefore tempted to ask for a wider handle but if he does quite broad scales as standard then I won't bother.

I know it's a big ask but if you have a minute and don't mind posting a pic or two of the top or underside of your knife (spine view) so I could see the thickness of the scales and liners in relation to the tang that'd be a big help.

Many Thanks

Dan

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
he DFT

I have a SWC my self, and the overall thickness is about 2,5 cm at the widest point which is 3 cm wide.
I didn't do got extra liners my self but that would a an extra 2 to 3 mm I think.

Hope this helps.

Bas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE