A good wide-brimmed hat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
As far as Stetson hats being not the quality that they used to be, I think that back in the 1960s and 70s they may have slumped some, but I don't think that is true today. Stetson's come in a wide range of quality from 1X to 100X. They are for the most part made of rabbit fur; wild hare; and beaver fur. The more expensive ones have higher grade furs such as Chinchilla blended in. I just did a price check and found them running from 45 dollars to 5000 dollars for a 100X hat. (Yep, pardner, I said 5000 dollars!) They have just about every price point in between covered as well. They make non-cowboy hats as well, such as the fedora. (read Indiana Jones). By the way Shepler's in Wichita, Kansas has a huge selection of Stetson's and I know that they used to do a brisk overseas trade. I assume they still do. (bit of trivia: The hat man at Shepler's back in the 80's told me that the older a man gets the smaller his hat brim choice. He said he could look at a man and predict his brim size before he asked. He attributed it to creeping conservativism.)

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I I was thinking of getting a cattleman from akubra but I'm a little worried about how it would do in the rain... I also can't seem to find a dealer around here. Also, I hate those people that make the cowboy comments. I mean I'm not a cowboy and just because it's a wide brimmed hat doesn't mean it's a cowboy hat...

Note it is very wide brimmed - an excellent hat, my wife pinched mine. Very suitable for someone whose skin can't take the sun. These hats are tough and will cope with rain - read shower proof but will need to dry out naturally and be reshaped possibly if soaked.

Steve

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Couple thoughts about the cotton Tilleys - I love mine to bits, but it does get a bit damp when out camping - something to consider... Needs some significant re-stretching when it gets like that.. Otherwise can't fault them - hard wearing and very comfortable.. I picked up one of the hemp ones (in brown) towards the end of last year - looking forward to putting that through its paces this year..

Out of curiosity, anyone know of an Akubra stockist near York? Might be interested in taking a look at them...

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
stephendedwards said:
Note it is very wide brimmed - an excellent hat, my wife pinched mine. Very suitable for someone whose skin can't take the sun. These hats are tough and will cope with rain - read shower proof but will need to dry out naturally and be reshaped possibly if soaked.

Steve
What do you mean by reshaped exactly? My knowledge of hats is quite limited... How wide is the brim though? My skin can take the sun ok I guess, maybe not that well but ok. Know where to find a pic of someone wearing it for perportions?

B

Bigox

+1 for Akubra. I had a Cattleman for over 10 years. It was a bit too tight to begin with and then I forgot it in the car on a sunny day and the band shrunk up till it fit my dad perfect. Rather than stretch it out I gave it to him and he has been wearing it for nearly 5 years.

I now have a Colly. I think it is one of the biggest models they have. Maybe too big as I think I preferred the Cattleman. My old Cattleman would soak through a bit but only after a long hard rain and even then only on the top where it bowls. I have Scotchgard my Colly a little and it wears fine in snow or rain. Another pro of such a hat is that it is very warm around a campfire on a cold day. The brim acts like a reflector. I am in the USA and I was able to find a better selection for less money by ordering directly from Oz.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Aha! Here's my rainwear hat. (Didn't get given a parrot, though :sigh:)

pinkpanther_petersellers.jpg

is that a sou wester? I got one the other month and it's been brilliant in the rain (tho the guys at work laugh there asses off at me and call me Ahab :lmao: ).

As for braod brimmed hats, I've got both a leather and a felt one, both from charity shops. If it's really sunny I prefer the leather, but for more general weather I prefer the felt (tho for winter wear I have yet to find something that beats my old tweed cap:cool: ).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a tilley TH5 hat in "mocha" colour. I've worn it in the rain a few times and it got wet of course but I don't think it soaked through, though I didn't wear it through a whole storm or something. It's made of hemp so I don't know if that's better or worse than the cotton hats they sell but it seems to work alright. My heads pretty big though so I got one that's tighter than it's meant to be (didn't have my size at the store) so I can't wear it for long without my head getting kinda itchy. I was thinking of getting a cattleman from akubra but I'm a little worried about how it would do in the rain... I also can't seem to find a dealer around here. Also, I hate those people that make the cowboy comments. I mean I'm not a cowboy and just because it's a wide brimmed hat doesn't mean it's a cowboy hat...

I like the Tilley hats, but lets be honest all these Kakadu hats etc, well, lets be polite and say the wearer does stand out from the crowd:eek: I do have a nice tweed flat cap I got back in the 80's though, but its not rainproof.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
As far as Stetson hats being not the quality that they used to be, I think that back in the 1960s and 70s they may have slumped some, but I don't think that is true today. Stetson's come in a wide range of quality from 1X to 100X. They are for the most part made of rabbit fur; wild hare; and beaver fur. The more expensive ones have higher grade furs such as Chinchilla blended in. I just did a price check and found them running from 45 dollars to 5000 dollars for a 100X hat. (Yep, pardner, I said 5000 dollars!) They have just about every price point in between covered as well. They make non-cowboy hats as well, such as the fedora. (read Indiana Jones). By the way Shepler's in Wichita, Kansas has a huge selection of Stetson's and I know that they used to do a brisk overseas trade. I assume they still do. (bit of trivia: The hat man at Shepler's back in the 80's told me that the older a man gets the smaller his hat brim choice. He said he could look at a man and predict his brim size before he asked. He attributed it to creeping conservativism.)

As far as stetson having a bad spell yes they did from 76 to about 82
the company changed hands at this time. The got back on there feet
and the same hi quality hat they use to make.
Stetson is the only hat that I will ware 20x every day and 50x on Sunday
So don't be afraid to try them they are the best
By the way when it is raining you put a hat cover over your hat
most hat stores carry them
And that man told you right I am down to a 3in brim and the hat that I ware is the open road style Lindon B. Johnson special
same style fo over 45 years

And I only take my hat off for 3 things Church star spangled banner
And Texas our Texas

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Tye Possum,

Don't worry about how it will perform in the rain. It will take a heavy soaking before it even starts to leak through even a tiny amount. As one earlier poster stated, rainwater will sit in the top of the hat. The fact that it does, (and I can attest that it actually does), is a good indication of it's water resistant properties. It's actually a good idea in heavy rain to just tilt your head from time to time to tip the excess out.

You won't need to do any reshaping after rain - not even if you dropped an Akubra completely under water. However, if it does get a good soaking, just let it dry naturally. Otherwise the leather band - not the external decorative one, but the internal one that sits on your brow - may shrink if you try and dry the hat out too quickly.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
The got back on there feet
and the same hi quality hat they use to make.
Stetson is the only hat that I will ware 20x every day and 50x on Sunday
So don't be afraid to try them they are the best

I agree completely. The. Best.

And for our British friends, it's important to understand that Stetson is utterly iconic to Americans. Particularly if you hail from the Western US, a Stetson is an object of worship. Even people who don't wear Stetsons won't speak ill of them.

I got my first one as a kid and I can't imagine that a time will ever come in my life when I don't have a couple of Stetsons around. Somehow or another, who we are as a people is wrapped up in those hats.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
My regular, go everywhere hat is the Akubra Federation, an open crown 30s style fedora, which you bash yourself. Mine DOES NOT look like IJ's!

Comfortable worn all day, great in the wet, in the sun and anything else in between apart from freezing cold where it's only not bad!

Also the back is snapped up so doesn't catch on the rucsac.

Can't beat it.

Gareth

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I have an"Australian Bush Hat" leather, waterproof, heavy enough not blow off in the slightest gust but light enought to wear all day, fits my head.....I got it at the Landrover Owners Show @ Peterbrough.....£24.50 Bargain....possibly the same vendor as mentioned @ Pickering above...love it ;)

Smoggy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE