Thermo mug convert

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
How could it possibly work, I thought as I spyed what claimed to be "the mug that doesn't let your coffee cool" or something equally moronic......I might have believed it but for £1.30......who were they trying to kid?

But 2 days later the thought flickered across my mind, I wondered if it could possibly work..... So I parted with my £1.30 and took it back to my house to run an experiment. Immedietly I was dissapointed, it has a translucent blue plastic on the outside and looked, well "budget" but with an open mind I cracked on. I poured into it just boiled water from the kettle and mixed in some rat pack instant white tea! I then put the lid on and left it for 25 minutes............

Loaded with scepticism I took off the lid and took a gulp................and instantly sprayed tea all over my computer screen.....it was still piping hot!! I was very pleased that the £1.30 was well spent. I advise you to buy the same for such a meager amount.... It's basically just a two walled mug with the inner wall a centimeter away from the outer wall!......would be great for small walks up to an hour long!.......disadvantage is that it doesn't hold that much, but hey buy 2 at that price!!

Wilderbeast

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I was bought a stainless steel version and use it as a workshop mug, the lid keeps the wood chips out. I dont for one moment think it was the bargain that your 1.30 mug is but it really does keep my tea piping hot for a couple of hours.

Highly rated piece of kit and at 1.30 too cheap to miss

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
I have also been a recent convert for outdoors use, I started taking mine on trains and in the car as my version has a screw on top rather than a sipping cap and several hours later you are enjoying your favourite brew and not forking out for some over priced milk with a bit of coffee in it.
I saw one great mod from Matt at Woodsmoke - a leather band fitted round the mug and then laced together,a karabiner was added and hey presto a superb carrying system:cool:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I have got the stainless steel one, the only problem for me is it tapers top to bottom therefore making it a bit top heavy. They do keep the coffee hot with the lid on.

BTW, the pound shop stores were doing them in packs of 2 for a £1 iirc. :D

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use one of these....
de64_35.JPG

It's more of a mini flask than a mug, but keeps hot for hours.

I have converted the other football dads' too...now we all stand on the touchline drinking steaming coffee!

Simon

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm a long-standing convert to the thermal mug scene. I bought my first one in China when it was still communist. :eek: It was all stainless steel and quite a bargain; one problem with the design was that they made a join between the exterior of the cup and the interior inside and over time dirt that was difficult to remove would build up just under the ridge of the join.

The one I use at present cost quite a bit more than £1.30 as it is made of stainless steel inside and out. However as I use it a lot I've found that the extra money is worth it as it doesn't get scratched up as easily as plastic, withstands drops and other rough treatment better and is easier to clean.

It's great to hold a cup that doesn't burn your fingers when you pour hot liquid into it, that you can knock over and not spill, drink out of in a moving vehicle without spilling (don't do it if your driving yourself of course ;) ), and keeps your drink hot even if you're standing on the coast with a cold wind blowing your coat off.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've used those types for a few years now, then last year got me and the lad one of these each

eBay 120383521248

The screw on lid stopes any spills and there is a little compartment in the lid to put sugar or whitener whatever in.

Crusaders are better at holding 500ml of Stella though;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE