Makin Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
As a food prep test for my new knife, I figured I'd make some jerky! Didn't take pictures while slicing, bit too awkward! But here are the after pics:

jerky.jpg

As you can see, after slicing off the fat I cut the thickness of the steak, rather than slicing it into strips - this was just to get big sheets of jerky rather than thin strips. I'll probably cut it into somewhat smaller bits before drying just to be sure it dries ok, but it's nice to do it this way and a good test for the knife - the comparatively straight and narrow blade of my usual Mora would have had a much more difficult time with this. After slicing it in half that way, I put light scores in the meat and pulled it out a bit flatter, kinda like unfolding it (a tip I picked up here IIRC :D).

jerky2.jpg

It's in soy sauce, salt and pepper right now - I'd never done jerky before with soy sauce so I didn't want to cover it all in case I didn't like it.

knife.jpg

As you can see, the bumping off the cutting board didn't cause any problems with the edge, was still plenty sharp afterwards along the whole length of the blade - also note that even though I had just washed it, the handle was bone dry - proof that regular oiling does a lot to prevent water getting in :D Similarly, this is a big plus for health and safety when dealing with raw meats.

Very happy with the knife so far, and I'll have some lovely jerky tomorrow :D I'll post more pics when I get it drying, the ovens occupied right now! I'll probably also follow this up with veg chopping when I do so for dinner sometime soon.

Cheers for lookin!
Pete

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
dont mean to jack this thread but ive also just made my first batch of home made jerky and used this reciepe - soy sauce and salt n pepper
was your fault Draven its was yours pics i couldnt resist.

dont think i used enough soy as the over riding taste was the pepper for me but im happy with that - have to say to anyone thinking of having a bash - do so tis a piece of **** and much tastier than buying pre-pack stuff over the net if like me you cant buy it where you live and a damn site cheaper

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
dont think i used enough soy as the over riding taste was the pepper for me but im happy with that - have to say to anyone thinking of having a bash - do so tis a piece of **** and much tastier than buying pre-pack stuff over the net if like me you cant buy it where you live and a damn site cheaper!
Especially IF you shoot yourself a Deer instead of using Cow! Tastier too!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I couldn't taste much soy either but it was still great :D I've heard that the soy flavour really goes a lot during dehydration, so you need to really soak the meat in it for a while. Maybe next time! I would've posted pics of it done, but it wasn't around long enough :eek:

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE