open fires, fireboxes, hobo stoves and environmental responsibility?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
His profile clearly states "somewhere in the 10th century" ;)

I hadn't spotted that, BUT it also says in Lancashire and by the end of the 10th century I think the Vikings in England were already Christian. But I confess to not really knowing what I'm talking about.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The thing about Vikings is that they assimilated very quickly into the population wherever they travelled.

After a few years there was no archaeological distinction at all.

Anyway, after this nice little diversion where are we on dead wood?

I suspect that the dead wood thread has run its course and that Broch summed it up. But still keen to hear anything else that people have to say.

I am however, going to try and look into it a bit more and see what research has been done into these things.

Graham

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Myotis wrote:
"I think you highlight some of the complexities, which I think I have also touched on in later posts, on making decsions on these things."

Confession to make: I didn't read the entire thread and based my reply on your initial post only. In particular I hadn't yet read your later posts. This highlights the importance of trying to take the time to read all previous posts before contributing your thoughts. I look forward to do this reading now because I will learn a lot more.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Confession to make: I didn't read the entire thread and based my reply on your initial post only. In particular I hadn't yet read your later posts. This highlights the importance of trying to take the time to read all previous posts before contributing your thoughts. I look forward to do this reading now because I will learn a lot more.

Easily done when you have a long thread, but I think your comments made points very relevant to the multi-faceted questions I raised.

Graham

Wayland

Hárbarðr
What often catches me out is reading to the bottom of the page, then posting a reply, only to discover there is half of a second page I didn't notice or read....
17433.gif

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Why not? -added text to get reply above required 10 characters-
I’m sorry, but in your post you said we have a right? I not sure why you think this, or what right you think we have, or even why you think our usage gives us more rights than the rest of the animal kingdoms usage, To us it is a hobby, to them it is life or death.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, the dead wood side of the argument has been addressed pretty thoroughly, but to make a decision on whether wood burning is better or worse than synthetic fuels, we need to know more about the other side.

Anybody know of a full-lifecycle ecological impact assessment for meths or gas stoves? I can't find anything... But I suspect it's pretty nasty.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Used to be life and death, but for us it no longer is, however for the animals bugs and insect it still is a matter of life and death.

In some human cultures around the world it still is life and death as much as it is for insect life as well

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Anybody know of a full-lifecycle ecological impact assessment for meths or gas stoves? I can't find anything... But I suspect it's pretty nasty.
I know that if you spill meths, or even, as I have seen people do, pour half a bottle on their wood to light it, pretty much nothing will live where the meths has been.
I've known gardeners to use it diluted 10/1 to kill plantborne pests, so I can only imagine what it does in it's pure form

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I've reached my half century :cool: and I can truthfully and unequivocably state that there is more wood, alive and decaying, around than at any time in those fifty years.
The reason ?
We no longer gather kindling, as a matter of course, for millions of domestic fires. Every house in the land had at*least* one coal fire, and folks used wood to start them, day in, day out.

What effect did that have on the insect populations ? I don't know, does anyone ?
I suspect a heck of a lot more than our few fires will; or are the entomologists jumping to erroneous conclusions based on their own pet research ?
I fully understand the bias in academia, the determination that one's own particular speciality is paramount, but those who can stand aside and rationally assess make better judgement calls.

I do light fires, small, and as I need. I do use gas stoves, again as the situation dictates. Do I destroy or despoil vast ecosystems ? I really, really doubt it. I do know that I leave nothing trapped, unable to decay, unable to rejoin the cycle of life.
I'm part of that cycle, so is fire......but then so are entomologists :rolleyes:
Wonder if she wants to be cremated or left for her buggits ? Me, I'm an archaeologist and I want a green burial :D Preferably in something that'll decay my bones too, I don't want the blighters digging them up later. ;)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE