Carving knife in the hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
My attempts at a making a blade turned out to be a bit premature - frost's carving blade now purchased.

Well, I bought a whole knife and removed the handle (and part of my thumb in the process :D - nothing serious, but lesson learned!). It felt odd destroying a brand new knife, but it will become a phoenix and rise again...

I've also changed my mind on the wood and have a nice piece of birch instead. The fruit wood will go in the smoker as originally intended.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I am up for picking up my tools again although if work get much worse I might have to drop out.

One thing though that strikes me as a 'South Paw' is that carving tools tend to left or right handed especially if they are chisel ground, which might cause problems in the swap about.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Ill be making a start on mine tomorrow.pics will be posted!...Hows everyone else getting on?

Got my Frost's carving knife, taken the original handle off (and top of thumb - now healed)

Found nice bit of birch and realised that I can't find a drill bit as long as the tang???

So, have decided to split the handle into three with aluminium spacers. 3cm,spacer, 6 cm, spacer, 3cm.

First drilling done, just whittling the rough handle shape at the moment.

So, how do you get a hole long enough for hidden tang knives?

Oh, and does anyone need really thin bits of aluminium for handles? I have a limitless supply of printing plates to anyone who covers postage costs.

Progress is slow - but it's all new to me and I'm really trying to make a half reasonable job of it...

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Sounds good to me!you ask about drilling a hole long enough for the tang...Heres how i do it.I have a piece of wood for my handle that is either square or oblong in shape when you view it from the end.Scribe a X on the each end from corner to corner.Then drill one end as far as the bit will go,then reverse the piece of wood and repeat.Hopefully the holes should line up.hope that made scence.That was before i found some long series drillbits:p

Ive forged a rough blade out.just got to shape,harden,temper,handle,polish,sharpen it.
Its along the lines of a swedish style sleigh knife.

Hopefully...:eek:

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
That was before i found some long series drillbits:p
Aha! I googled some, ordered and received them today :)

So birch handle now a single piece and will use the long bits for a second stick tang project...

I can't help but wonder if it was a good idea to give away my very first attempt - but I figure that my first 'real' knife will be the first blade I forge rather than the first handle I put on.

That's scheduled for a few weeks from now :D so I'm looking at this as good practice :)

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
This sounds like the good excuse I've been waiting for, work permitting.

As a total novice I cannot set my sights too high but wood love to create something for the kith.

Would you guys, especially the makers mind if I entered with something a little basic?

I was thinking along the lines of a kolrosing blade as my wife wants to have a go at this craft?

Anyway what do you think as the clock she's a ticking........tick....tick.....tick.....

Cheers
Craeg;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE