Cooker & Hotwater bottle, suggestions??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

I am after a couple of new items to replace what I already have, but am not satisfied with for one reason or another.

First up it is important to note I do a fair bit of hikeing, so the new kit needs to be light in weight (very important), and must pack up small. I like my crusader cup & cooker, but they weigh far too much.

The hot water bottle again needs to be light and pack small.

Any surgestion would be welcome

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
:D 'The hot water bottle!!!' ya big girls blouse, you don't carry a hot water bottle hiking do you??..:D :D
(Just kidding) Do you mean the 58 pattern bottle is too heavy/large?

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
'The hot water bottle!!!' ya big girls blouse, you don't carry a hot water bottle hiking do you??.. Ha ha, yea I do!! It does get cold at night in the UK, and I usally don't have a fire to try and stay 'under the radar'. I've just got a basic hotwater bottle, but it is a bit bulky, even unfilled.
Got me thinking, I guess I might be able to use my camelbak instead.......

Anyway, any surgestions on a cooker / pot combo??

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Water bottle and hot water bottle?

Not a difficult answer, just put hot water in your water bottle.......in the morning when the water has cooled you can boil it up again to make a brew, am i missing something?:confused:

this way not only are you stopping your water from freezing, but you don't have to carry a spare waterbottle.

During My ML course I tried to lightweight all my kit and Instead of : 58' waterbottle, cup, mug, and cooker etc. I used Naglegene bottle, mess tin trangia cooker, and found they were the same weight!

I'd stick with the crusader kit if you can use it well!

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Yes, I hadn't considered the obvious with the hot water bottle, it now amazes me I was so slow lol!!
I do like my crusader kit, it's just so heavy and slow to use, it would be nice if I could have my warm drinks in a few minutes instead of 10 min. Starting to lean towards gas, not decided yet though...........

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yes, I hadn't considered the obvious with the hot water bottle, it now amazes me I was so slow lol!!
:rolleyes:

During MY ML cousre i tried many cooking kits and ideas this may help.

the Mini Trangia is very compact, bomb proof, but slow also when you've finished you put the mucky stove into your clean saucepan(that always annoyed me).

petrol stoves are something to behold! i have one and will boil water as fast as a electric kettle, and will run on several fuels.

Hexamine is compact, safe to carry (nothing to spill) but stinks when used and stains cookware.

crusader cup, mug, etc, plus cooker is a good lowland system, prehaps not for winter mountain use. you can vastly improve the cooker with a Pepsi can stove.(a mini version).

mess tins and Metal mugs are great weight savers but they need lids to be efficient! just tinfoil will work (if using mess tins use the larger one as a lid!).

Hope it's helpful:)

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for your reply RAPPLEBY2000.
By the sound of it, mabey a petrol stove would be my best bet.
I've not seen the pepsi stove cooker, but I always use a tinfoil lid, thanks for the tips.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Ive found that carrying a small honda generator, enables me to use an electric blanket inside my sleeping bag, thus dispensing with the need to carry excess weight such as a hot water bottle!
smiley_chairfall.gif

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
LOL !!

Anyway, I just finished making myself a pepsi can stove, hope to try it out tomorrow.
I'll proberly try and find myself a new round pot for cooking too.
Thanks for the help.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Ive found that carrying a small honda generator, enables me to use an electric blanket inside my sleeping bag, thus dispensing with the need to carry excess weight such as a hot water bottle!
smiley_chairfall.gif

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I have tried many stove and cookware combos, now as I am also more hiker then bushy, I use a cheap highlander stove and a mess tin set, stove breaks down very small and allows for extras in the mess tin, the highlander is better then my Coleman stove as i dont need to use dedicated gas cartridges, b&q do a good range of cartridges to fit and come in various sizes.

Crap I know but at the end of the day i want light weight and still cook my food, looking good with no one to see it is a bad idea anyway.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I have tried many stove and cookware combos, now as I am also more hiker then bushy, I use a cheap highlander stove and a mess tin set, stove breaks down very small and allows for extras in the mess tin, the highlander is better then my Coleman stove as i dont need to use dedicated gas cartridges, b&q do a good range of cartridges to fit and come in various sizes.

Crap I know but at the end of the day i want light weight and still cook my food, looking good with no one to see it is a bad idea anyway.....

Which Coleman are you using?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I use an MSR , it is the Dog's danglies!

First time i saw one used, i was using my trusty tiny, Mini Trangia, which i was pretty chuffed with, but then my mate got out this metal shiny stuff with tubes and bottles and taps, it was scarey., big foot high flames then turned down to a blue Rocket Jet flame(or that's what it sounded like, ok the foot high flames was an exaggeration too, but it was cool!)

I eventually bought a used one from an army surlus shop, for £4 i think it was :p
(whole kit including: repair stuff spares bottle and even a lighter!) no, they didn't have any more!

MSR is the only cooker I have, and do feel safe cooking in a tent with, as long as you prime it outside, even My mini trangia has created a ball of flame (don't ask me how I've never found out)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE