Titanium Spork?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spork and Titanium Spork

• Have a plastic one

Votes: 101 33.7%
  • Have a titanium one

Votes: 74 24.7%
  • Have Both

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • Sorry, they're in the 'pointless gadget' category for me.

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • KFS sets all the way

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Whats a Sprok??

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

scallywag

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2008
Europe
Funny little things those sporks are. Not to my taste, thought - remind me of colourful spoons for children. I could at most it some yogurt a spork :D

Titanium one is tempting because of its weight... Still prefer my knife, fork and spoon set (plus a bottle opener). Like to feel civilised even in the woods :) Besides, 120g isn't THAT much.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
So far this thread has been a mix of two things
1- titanium sporks are no better than plastic and cost too much( i agree they cost too much)

2- I broke my plastic spork.

Draw your own conclusions

I hear what you say, but there is a another option, a simple household fork . . or a spoon or both, costing pennies or nothing! (or John Fennas lovely carved wooden creation)

If youre a die-hard ultralighter, then the grammes saved might be worth paying the high prices, but when i read recommended kit posts, weight never seems to be of any real importance. Everybody recommends sabre rucksacks, but they easily weigh 2lb more than a golite. But mention a titanium spork, or a snow peak 50 quid mug, and suddenly titaniums worth the silly money cos it saves 50 grammes. Its like eating four big macs and then insisting on drinking a diet coke cos youre on a diet, except in this case, the diet coke costs 10 times the price. :rolleyes:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Use a household fork!!!! blasphemey
Most of my kit is as light as I feel comfortable with,my billys are stainless (quite heavy)my doss bag weighs almost 3 kilos but it's warm and toasty.I've just bought a sabre and find it to be reasonably light but it seems as if it'll take a beating.
As for my titanium spork ,to tell the truth Its days are numbered,It's the wrong shape, it feels flimsy and to my surprise it bends easily.
I think I'm going to end up using a household fork,I find them very good at home so they should work in the woods.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
True, Saddletramp, but life's not always so black and white! I have a Sabre 45 and a titanium Light My Fire spork. It's not ALL about weight, cos the plastic spork is lighter than the ti one, but the ti one is stronger. A Golite pack is lighter than a Sabre, but seems a bit delicate to me, so a step too far. The Sabre 45 is still lighter than all my previous rucksacs though! On the other hand I switched tarps to a 3x3m ultra lightweight jobby (600g) cos it does the job just as well as one twice the weight.

However, if we insist on taking the kitchen sink in a huge rucksack but pack a ti spork because of the weight, I think kit fever is to blame.

Sapper1, a mate of mine borrows a fork and spoon from his mother's best wedding cutlery every time we go out. I'm waiting for the day he loses them in the river.

Gzornenplat, the Alpkit ones are neither fork nor spoon so don't work well as either- Light My Fire all the way!

My name is Wink and I am a Titaniholic...

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Wedgewood I hope.Myself I use a home made coconut mug,Just got to figure out how to put a handle on it now.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I was in a bike shop last year, and they had a de-rosa titanium frame for sale (priced at about 3 grand) funny thing was, the frame had been painted and laquered, and there was a huge debate raging about the non corroding properties of titanium, not requiring paint, and so how much the paint and laquer weighed.
fz5.gif

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've got your book John ( and a marvellous thing it is too) but your cup is a shallow but wide one whereas mine is tall and narrow.Being blessed with sausage fingers I can't get a screw driver inside to tighten the screws.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Gzornenplat, the Alpkit ones are neither fork nor spoon so don't work well as either- Light My Fire all the way!

Nah. The LMF isn't really a spork in my book (although it might be more useful). A spork is a hybrid like a liger or a tigon, not two halves grafted together like Anne Widdicombe (back half of a woman with the back half of a bus).

@John - if you are ever around my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to buy you a pint :beerchug:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sapper
Flexi-driver - thats the answer! They bend, have magnetic tips and actually work for getting screws in tight places!
Dont know where you would get one though...

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've got your book John ( and a marvellous thing it is too) but your cup is a shallow but wide one whereas mine is tall and narrow.Being blessed with sausage fingers I can't get a screw driver inside to tighten the screws.
could you replace the screws with small grub screws and nuts, as most if not all allen keys have a right angled bend in them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE