Bush Loo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Ok so If we are setting up a base camp and plan to be there for more than a night or two then we use a BioToi - this thing is great.

This looks rather interesting. However, given that you are likely to end up with a bag full of liquid and solids, how does the bag seal once its been used.

Graham

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
As you're planning a vegetable patch, you could obtain a bale of straw for the males in the group to pee on. This lasts a month or two, depending on traffic, and provides a good basis for compost for the veg.

From the CAT site:

"Keeping urine separate is usually the key to a successful composting toilet, otherwise they can become anaerobic and smelly. As urine is high in nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus, if collected separately it can be used as a fertiliser (on non-food plants) when mixed about 1:10 in water. Another simple option is a 'straw bale urinal'. This consists of a bale of straw (ends uppermost), for men to urinate on. The liquid soaks in and composts the middle of the bale in a few months. Technical approaches include flat panels in the front of compost toilets to capture and divert urine."

CAT

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
you don't actually seal the bag as such - but the bag is easy and clean to grip around the "neck" and carry to where you plan to bury it, best to dig a hole first imho.

The bags are surprisingly big and I think that that is what makes them easy to move after the deed is done so to speak :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
you don't actually seal the bag as such - but the bag is easy and clean to grip around the "neck" and carry to where you plan to bury it, best to dig a hole first imho.

The bags are surprisingly big and I think that that is what makes them easy to move after the deed is done so to speak :)

Ah, thanks, as the web site says you can dispose of them the same way as you dispose of disposable nappies, I had assumed you could "carry them out" to a suitable disposal point.

Graham

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
How long do you plan to use the site for?

If you have the luxury of time, by far the most environmental method IMO is to avoid anything chemical, any disposable materials (biodegradeable or not), etc.

The toilet we have at the cottage has a good quality permanent seat (ours is made from hard polystyrene as it's nicer to sit on when it's much below zero). The waste lands in a container and is sprinkled with a little sawdust. This is then is emptied periodically into an old chest freezer (painted green, may I add). It sits there for 1-2 years, by which time the bacteria/enzymes have broken it down into useable compost. This is then sprinkled on the vegetable patch.

Male visitors who consume gallons of beer are encouraged to leak in the forest, lest their urine make the other waste too damp and slow down its decomposition.

However in the next year or two I am considering a tree bog:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_bog

And if anyone has built one, I would love to hear form them!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you are going to be using the site for a while a cheaper and more environmentally sound option would be to plant a living willow structure around your loo area. Willow is thirsty and will thrive on your waste.
A straw bale for menfolks to piddle on will cost under a fiver and last for several months. Again it will break down.
A bench type seat with an appropriate cut out over a drum lined pit and a bucket and trowel with either wood sawdust/ fine shavings, paper shreddings or fire ashes to be scattered after 'deposits' keeps things fresh too. The loo is the better for having a close fitting lid to keep down the flies if it gets much use in Summer.

Willow cutting root easily and there's so much biomass stuff about no one is surely going to grudge you a vigorous pruning :cool:

Best of luck with the site :)

cheers,
Toddy

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Guess what SWMBO got for part of her birthday? :lmao:
If it makes her life easier and more comfortable when camping...then it makes my life a lot easier!

couldn't agree more and I must admit it's a nice luxury item to have, I baulked at the price of it but when i got it and realised how well it took my substantial frame I was most impressed.

tom

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Roman history acording to Adam Hert Davis the Romans loved the comunial toilet they had 5 or 6 toilets (sit down types) next to each other and quite enjoyed the social event of having a (rap - no toilet paper but sponges on sticks soaked in vinigar - cant see it catching on again at bush meets

During my time in the army one of my many duties was to advise on the construction of latrines and urinals, I’ll have a think and check back through my manuals and see what I can come up with. Don't know if I’m able to post directly from the manual (liability of BCUK and copyright and possibly the official secrets act) but can’t see why I can’t put it in my own words. I'll post back later today.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Hi there,

Not used one but these (http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/) look interesting - and seem to be British! Hope your camp goes well.

I own one of these and it comes with me on canoe trips (e.g. Fort William to Inverness; Loch Ness)
I was sceptical to start with but the design is a good one. Only suggestion is if the ground is damp have a square of plastic to put under the box.
Thoroughly recommend the product especially if you want to enjoy the view during your 'meditations';)
Alan
EDIT: couldn't figure out how to post show put a photo from Loch Lomond as my avatar.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
What about a simplt teepee for toilet privicy? easy to construct erect and move along, and easy to dismantle and store......

Also, when refilling the "hole" at the end of the camp, why not plant a whip or two in there, then on returning you won't redig the old loo and eventually you'll have a thriving forest....!

H

He' s left the building

Composting is the way ahead, previous solutions involving pits (ventilated or not) do not allow safe breakdown for large amounts of wet waste and also attracts flies.

Composting loos use dryer methods, enabling safe decompostion with a usable end-product. These solutions tend to require more space (how much space depends on volume of use) but are obviously the most sustainable option: http://compostingtoilet.org/faq/index.php

Most published solutions should be viewed critically, the current ongoing campaign in Afghanistan has identified flaws in traditional methods of field waste disposal (burying and/or burning is difficult and unsustainable for campaign settings) and similar solutions have been well used by NGO's but only in temporary disaster situations.

For intermittent use at bushcraft sites, my own opinion is that a composting loo would be the 'Gold-Standard' from a sustainability perspective. Anything else would simply be a temporary measure and therefore only of use for short-term or small groups.

Just my two-pennorth!

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I would have thought that for occasional use (weekend) by a few persons, a hole in the ground, backfilled at the end of the stay and a new one dug for the next visit would be adequate.........wet or dry........especially if something could be planted on the site to utilise the underlying materials...........wild ruhbarb maybe, or willow whips, or probably anything else that would thrive in such a location....and ultimately provide a return in the future!

that would then provide the easiest system to manage and execute with as natural as possible regeneration.

I think I would at least try the simple, easy, uncomplicated method to see if it works before getting into more "elaborate" systems......

Smoggy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE