Titanium Spork?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spork and Titanium Spork

• Have a plastic one

Votes: 101 33.7%
  • Have a titanium one

Votes: 74 24.7%
  • Have Both

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • Sorry, they're in the 'pointless gadget' category for me.

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • KFS sets all the way

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Whats a Sprok??

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I used to eat of a plastic spoon,then I learned to feed myself.
I use a titaniun spork mainly for hygene reasons,but also it gives the purists something to talk about.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
had a plastic one, it broke

saw a titanium one in camping shop, 12 quid, for some reason, i have a real problem paying 12 quid for a tea spoon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now this I call a Spork...or Foon...
Hand carved from seasoned Oak and oiled with Flax Seed oil in less time than it takes me to drive to a shop selling titanium ones - a lot quicker than mail ordering one!
It is long enough to reach right into the corners of Rat pack packets, the bowl is sized to fit my gob, the fork shaped to deal with steaks, it will not scratch pots and pans, has a zero carbon footprint, will not get too hot or melt if left in a pan of cooking food, it can get on aircraft without sounding alarms and getting SWAT teams excited and if I break one end off I still have a fully functional spoon or fork - or at the very least some firewood!

Best of all it cost me the grand sum of NOWT!:rolleyes:

Titanium? I laugh!:lmao:

820a4b71.jpg

Sorry about the rubbish photo....:eek:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
had a plastic one, it broke

saw a titanium one in camping shop, 12 quid, for some reason, i have a real problem paying 12 quid for a tea spoon

Sums up my feelings :p I don't use plastic when avoidable, and I think titanium is just excessive, unless it's a very aerodynamic spork that doubles up as a fighter jet.

Which, btw, would be AWESOME :cool:

Tbh I don't like sporks at all. I mean you can get those knife/fork/spoon cutlery sets for a couple quid, probably in SS, and you save what, maybe a cubic inch of space, by using a spork instead? :p

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
A bloody titanium spork!?
Jeesh...I wish I had the money to waste like some of you. But, on consideration, I think I'll stick with my quota of common-sense in preference.
A plastic spork does the job perfectly well for me.
Titanium sporks...:rolleyes:

I got mine free. It does the job. I have become quite attached to it in a funny sort of way. Great value at £0 though ;)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Alot of differing views,but I notice the people who don't use titanium are rubbishing them whereas the titanium users aren't commenting on the plastic ones.Is this due to lack of information or a different attitude to other peoples kit
As has been said in another thread just because you like one piece of kit don't rubbish the ones you don't like,it gives people the wrong impression.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Alot of differing views,but I notice the people who don't use titanium are rubbishing them whereas the titanium users aren't commenting on the plastic ones.Is this due to lack of information or a different attitude to other peoples kit
As has been said in another thread just because you like one piece of kit don't rubbish the ones you don't like,it gives people the wrong impression.

It's not rubbishing them, it's saying it's excessive. And it is. It's just an attempt to make money out of the misconception that titanium is a super-duper metal that can do anything you ask of it, and somehow makes a spork worth £10+. IMO.

:)
Pete

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
So far this thread has been a mix of two things
1- titanium sporks are no better than plastic and cost too much( i agree they cost too much)

2- I broke my plastic spork.

Draw your own conclusions

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
So far this thread has been a mix of two things
1- titanium sporks are no better than plastic and cost too much( i agree they cost too much)

2- I broke my plastic spork.

Draw your own conclusions

There are some heavy-handed people with more money than sense?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Yep! thats me ,heavy handed.Sausage fingers and ham fists really test lightweight gear.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I cut my finger carving my latest one - through the Milford cut resistant gloves!.....my spoon knives are now reduced from double edged to single edged... but I still have the best, most affordable,( the glove was a freebie:)) foon in town!

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Light My Fire have brought out a Titanium version of the coloured plastic spork!

http://www.lightmyfire.se/336-147-230-spork_titanium.htm

I'm too IT stoopid to post photo's, sorry.

From the Light My Fire web site: The Spork Titanium is made of titanium, one of the toughest alloys on the planet.

Alloy?

And: Its [Titanium's] high biocompatibility means that it is very non-toxic and is not rejected by the body

Handy if you swallow it, but how do you get it back? :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Titanium is an alloy, as in it's natural form it's a powder.
As for biocompatability you can have a hip replacement made from titanium or plastic.
Titanium is a wonder metal that cannot be beaten in certain applications But it's still very expensive and can be replaced with cheaper materials that perform nearly as well .For the space shuttle I'd prefer titanium, for a spork plastic will suffice.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Titanium is an alloy, as in it's natural form it's a powder.

Titanium is an element. It doesn't have a 'natural' form (as in 'found in nature') as pure titanium, it is found in nature mostly as titanium dioxide and crystalline iron titanium oxide.

If something is 'made of titanium' then it is not, by definition, alloyed with something else.

As for biocompatability you can have a hip replacement made from titanium or plastic.

Oh dear, I've been taken seriously again :(

I don't dispute that, my father has a titanium knee, I was just wondering why Light My Fire thought it necessary to point out that the body doesn't reject titanium.

On reflection, though, this might be relevant given where some people here seem to feel you should stick them. :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If someone stuck a titanium spork in me my body would certainly reject it.
By definition if something is alloyed with something then it is no longer the original substance.Tool steel is no longer steel , aluminium is no longer aluminium and carbon steel is no longer steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE