eBay bans sale of all knives....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

steveme

Nov 5, 2008
Leeds
This is getting hotly debated on the eBay community forum (http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=1100223858&tstart=0&mod=1234264415746) - I can only hope that responsible sellers who stand to loose good business will be petitioning eBay to implement a more sensible policy.

It looks like a knee-jerk reaction especially as it seems they've already got an age verification process in place for knife purchases (http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=1100223548&tstart=0&mod=1234137439331)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Of course - and just like gun crime stats and all other stats post-prohibition - they will be completely and utterly ignored.

And fabricated, stats can be interpreted anyway you want them to be

Is there an evaluation period? Will they compare knife crime stats before the shutdown and lets say one year after?

We must try not to make the mistake of believing this is anyhting to do with actually tackling crime.

This is all political posturing, nothing more.

The Watchdog article was laughable in it's inaccuracy and bias, the eBay response was typical and stupid. Both parties know they have done nothing to help solve the real issues of violent crime, but they have been 'seen' to do something and thats all that matters.

Silly thing is, the actual problem that Watchdog reported - the illegal importation of knives into the UK - will still be possible! UK buyers will not be blocked from buying from the States (so far) so all they have done is crush a few hundred businesses overnight for the sake of some good PR.

Why didn't they report the real story - HMRC's total faliure to police imports into the UK? Misisng 5 out of 6 packages! Thats scary.

Lets just hope all of those knife dealers who are out of business don't turn to crime!!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have. I reported the Ebay announcement to Ebay as offensive!

added my two penneths worth as well to the thread on the Evilbay forum, i also wrote to Watchdog and congratulated them on their one sided and mass hysteria inducing reporting

Well done to Watchdog for increasing the media induced mass hysteria over knife crime, and continuing the trend by the UK press to tar all legitimate and law abiding knife users with the same brush as those who use knives for less than legitimate purposes, while I appreciate knife crime is a serious issue in the UK, the majority of knife crime is undertaken with kitchen knives, which are freely available, do people really and honestly believe that people intent on committing knife crime are going to purchase a knife from the US, when all they have to do is take one from the kitchen or buy/steal one from Robert Dyas?, if Watchdog were totally honest in their report, they would have also mentioned the number of stabbings carried out with broken glass bottles, screwdrivers and other tools that are freely available, Is Ebay going to go for a ban on all tools next?.

All Ebay has managed to do is alienate legitimate law abiding citizens who use a knife in pursuit of their profession or hobby, a knife is an inanimate object it's a tool not a weapon. Look at the real issues behind knife crime for a change, the Press and more importantly the Government need to ask themselves why are young people feeling the need to carry a knife for protection?, but that would mean actually having to address a real issue, knives are not the problem as we all know, it's the breakdown of society that's the issue and it's about time the authorities acted upon the underlying issue instead of wrongly assuming that all knife users are up to no good, but of course that would be too simple wouldn't it.

Instead of moaning about it on here and other forums, put pen to paper and write to Ebay, Watchdog, your MP, the more people that defend the legitimate use of knives the better, stand up and be counted.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
We must try not to make the mistake of believing this is anyhting to do with actually tackling crime.

This is all political posturing, nothing more.

The Watchdog article was laughable in it's inaccuracy and bias, the eBay response was typical and stupid. Both parties know they have done nothing to help solve the real issues of violent crime, but they have been 'seen' to do something and thats all that matters.

Silly thing is, the actual problem that Watchdog reported - the illegal importation of knives into the UK - will still be possible! UK buyers will not be blocked from buying from the States (so far) so all they have done is crush a few hundred businesses overnight for the sake of some good PR.

Why didn't they report the real story - HMRC's total faliure to police imports into the UK? Misisng 5 out of 6 packages! Thats scary.

Lets just hope all of those knife dealers who are out of business don't turn to crime!!

Hi Mike ;)

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Good on you Kepis.

Anyone else done it yet?

This announcement is offensive & ignorant.

firstly; ALL knives are cutlery!!

Secondly; there is nothing complex about the criteria for what constitutes an illegal knife. there's just a lot of ignorance surrounding the subject.

Thirdly; The vast majority of crime involving knives, involve kitchen cutlery knives.

If you go ahead with this ignorant, offensive, thoughtless and impotent knee jerk reaction it will be a crime against common sense and a triumph for media induced hysteria.

:rolleyes:

This announcement is offensive & ignorant.

firstly; ALL knives are cutlery!!

Secondly; there is nothing complex about the criteria for what constitutes an illegal knife. there's just a lot of ignorance surrounding the subject.

Thirdly; The vast majority of crime involving knives, involve kitchen cutlery knives.

If you go ahead with this ignorant, offensive, thoughtless and impotent knee jerk reaction it will be a crime against common sense and a triumph for media induced hysteria.

You've mellowed mate.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Who cares?
Has anyone here ever bought a knife from Ebay? Maybe one or two, but not many.
The impression I have is that most BCUK members buy their knives either straight from the maker or from a reputable shop.
If Ebay's ban on knife sales saves the life of just one person then that's fine by me - after all, some of the seller's aren't exactly stringent on ensuring buyers are over 18.
Buying knives from Ebay is like celebrity gossip or reality TV - totally off my radar and I couldn't care less.
I like the above suggestion about a buying/seller forum on this site. But aren't there already Makers Market, Commercial Sales, Member's Classifieds and Swap Shop sections?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Things Change, Get over it and buy your knives somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more. Where one door closes another .........

That said I guess the concern for any provider of such a marketplace would be their exposure to the considerable risk that is their legal liabilities. Not something to be underrated given the number of interesting emporiums that have stoped selling such kit or indeed closed down.:(

K

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Could someone post up links to various ebay threads, email addys etc to complain - I've been trying to find them but this library PC is slower than a snail.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE