Knives on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Did anyone else watch BBC Watchdog this evening about their article on illegal knives that thay'd bought on ebay?

The representative they had from ebay was saying in response to what Watchdog had uncovered they're taking various steps to stop this illegal trade and one of the was the ban of all knife sales apart from Kitchen knifes!!! Did anyone else catch that?

Yep I saw that too, and you've pretty much summed it up.

Don't get me wrong, it's true that ebay need to address the issue of banned weapons being sold, especially the likes of the abs plastic stealth knife which could be concealed from metal detectors etc.

However, as usual, a few people doing wrong results in a massive over-reaction with the masses suffering. I know a couple of knife makers who have sold blade blanks & complete knives through ebay to responsible people for bushcrafting use - what are they supposed to do now?

The truth is that people are unlikely to spend the sort of money that good quality bushcrafting knives go for to carry as offensive weapons when you can pick up a stanley knife or a screwdriver from a hardware store for a couple of quid !

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
the will lose a fortune.have you seen how many are on sale

Just did a search for knife on ebay and there's over 7,000 listed at the moment for collectable/sporting goods.

Typical knee jerk reaction as it still doesn't stop someone going to Ebay.com and buying from abroad does it? Also, if you look at the types of knives seized in searches by the police the majority are kitchen knives.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
How come there are more people killed by cars every day than knives but they don't ban them.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
And next on the agenda will be?

spoons, then forks, then those plastic blister packages, they can be quite sharp sometimes, or the lids from tins of beans, i've vut msyelf on them before.

in all seriousness i get really worried when the media use their influence to create an atmosphere which suits their agenda. At some level in the BBC and Ebay there will be clever people who realise that baning knives will have no effect, but they have to be sen to help, they can't be seent to be selling offensive weapons now can they?

don't even get me started on the misuse of the terms weapon and offensive weapon

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Well, that should make all the difference... I just googles 'buy flick knife' and got several sellers including this link within the first page!

http://www.pricesavvy.co.uk/a/productlist/idx/4050309/mot/Flick_knife/productlist.htm

Go to France or Germany and you can buy these anywhere,but you dont see their youth stabbing each other for the slightest disagreement.

As we all know knives just like handguns of old are just scapegoats.
But in the UK overeaction always seems to be the solution.

Ebay just want people to think they are truly wonderful and actually care.

I would like to see them go bust,and I make the best part of my living from them.
They are far to arrogant and ignore their traders needs, basically I think the feel that they are invincible.

It would give some of the newer sites a chance to prosper and hopefully learn by Ebays mistakes.

GS

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am ever so glad to hear they're leaving the cheap kitchen knives. Like that, the good people who actually use them as weapons won't be penalised.:soapbox: I must be thick... I really don't get it :confused:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I'll just rant if I try to say too much, so this will have to do:

:dunno: :bluThinki :sigh: :twak: :soapbox: :censored: :cussing: :banghead: :rant: :AR15firin

Reckon that says it... just about in order too!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It had a certain air of inevitabiity about it.

If anyone can't see the writing on the wall for being allowed to carry any form of knife for a leisure activity then I'll put the perculator on and wind the alarm clock.

Banning guns had no effect on gun crime...but did they reverse the ban? Of course not. And anyway - it didn't affect most people who were, in any case, irrationally nervous about guns.

Heads up though - most people are irrationally nervous about knives.....banning them wont affect knife crime but...so what? Politicians, businesses etc. need to be seen to act.

Don't by the way try to convince me - I'm convinced already. Its stupid and pointless. However if this grows into another irrational ban movement, the majority will applaud in the face of facts and logic. Just as they did before and will again.

Red

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Banning guns had no effect on gun crime...but did they reverse the ban? Of course not. And anyway - it didn't affect most people who were, in any case, irrationally nervous about guns.

Heads up though - most people are irrationally nervous about knives.....banning them wont affect knife crime but...so what? Politicians, businesses etc. need to be seen to act.
Red

Total agreemant there Red.
What was that The Sun headline????

Wont the last person out switch the light off

Cheers
louis

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the "flick knives" were actually assisted openers which are actually legal to buy, import, and own. in the uk. They are also just as legal to carry as any other locking bladed knife.
The plastic knife is illegal, although if it was sold with a metal split ring on the handle (as most, if not all of them are) then it too is legal to buy own, import etc.

However since the sale of kitchen knives has not been banned, there will be no difference in "knife crime"

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
When I used to search persons and find some cannabis they often had a sak or one of those cheap 'buck' lookalike lockers for cutting same.

Invariably they'd be blunt (for our standards) and if asked if they'd use them as a weapon the answer would be 'naw mate, i'd get a real knife fae the kitchen if i wanted tae chib somebody'.

Or one of those well known 'carpet cutters' type blades.

Go figure..:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE