Women and bushcraft example of why men are always wrong!....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm rehabilitating a pretty serious back injury and have been couped up in the house off work for several months so my good lady decided it was time for us to get out and try a scenic but short walk. My physio said don't over do it... so off we went and left the house at 7am and headed to Glencoe. After plenty stops for me to stretch (I can't sit for chronic pain for more than 15 mins!:eek: ). We parked at the Kingshouse and decided to walk a short way up the old road to the isles over Rannoch Moor; at the start it's a very easy forestry type track up to the lodge.

Now let me begin by saying that SWMBO asked if she could carry anything the night before, I said "the kellly kettle fuel", we use wax/woodchip firelighters for quickness when out in exposed places and I made sure she took them and packed them in her rucksack...I also gave her a wee list of things to take to help her as to be fair she doesn't always know what she might need. (waterpoofs, gloves, hat, spare socks, snood ets), so off we went after me asking the umpteenth time if she had everything OFFCOURSE I HAVE was the usual reply...ok I forgot it's that time of the month too:lmao:

It get's better...:rolleyes: we stopped at the greenwelly and the snow starts and the snugpack winter shirt I bought her was getting wet and I suggested she put on her waterproofs only to be told "I THOUGHT IT IS WATERPROOF", :eek: "er no dear i said windproof, remember that list? Well...that was it.... so i suggested we buy a wee pacamac in the outdoor shop as a stopgap as we were only going a short walk anyway. so she found one and I suggested checking it as it was only £12 and to make sure it was ok. Guys you know what's coming next eh? :lmao: So needless to say it wasn't checked.

Anway Glencoe looked lovely absolutley lovely. Cold but lovley. I checked my gear and asked SWMBO if she had everything only to be given that verbal look again:D
wigwam2009014.jpg

We saw somw really close red deer and there ws not much snow at this low level.
wigwam2009043.jpg

But the sleet and snow came in and you could see it traveling over the moors from the glen.
wigwam2009015.jpg

I suggested SWMBO put on her waterproof now so she pulled it out and to my absolute delight only to reveal a fetching pair of childs waterproof trousers:D
Now then that really was the wrong response on my part. It was time to go :sulkoff: But there was nowhere to run and guess what? Yup that snow hit us hard...and it kept coming...;)
wigwam2009012.jpg

We even heard and saw several helicopters during the walk and it wasn't until later did we find out that several guys had died and several more injured in a huge avalanche.

We found a small shelter belt one of two on the moor so we sat down inside to get a brew on. so the kk was out and i asked SWMBO for the fuel...you know what's coming now :lmao: that's right no fuel. So I asked nicely what happened, one minute it was in the rucksack the next out. SWMBO had taken it out the rucksack in the boot of the car but never checked to see if she had put it back in...now remember I did ask her to check, oh dear that was not a good time to remind her of that! :swordfigh :rolleyes: That's ok I said I've got some handcleaner, it's imflamable, we can light some sticks with that. Now bear in mind everything was saturated, even biggish sticks I split with the knife were saturated inside and to top it the handgel wouldn't light:eek: despite me trying it at home when it did! :confused: Anyway we had our roll and looked wishfully at out cuppasoup packets and decided that it wa sso cold and the blizzards kept raging through, that even though we were on a very good track and only 2 miles as the crow flies from a road, it was time to get moving back to the car.

Now I'm a grumpy guy when in chronic pain and I was really struggling coping with the pain on this short walk yet determined not to let it spoil some good rehab for mind and body and I was trying my absolute best to keep smiling despite SWMBO's wee probs. But this picture will always make me smile and hopefully will remind SWMBO to gently accept some advice for a reason and that's because I love her to bits :eek: and don't want her to be cold and wet when we are out and about!
wigwam2009036.jpg

Better luck next time!
:lmao:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
There are some things I don't do.......

One of them is letting someone else pack, check or confirm that everything is packed!

Funny story, with lovely photo's, thanks for sharing, and I hope your back recovers 100%.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
yeah good luck with the back pain. regards the hand gel, maybe it doesn't light so well in the cold?

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
pmsl, I think we've all been in a similar possition mate, time to start working on brownie points!

AND, a valuable lesson to us all.

Nice pics and you'll both look back and laugh one day, and enjoy the memories.

Get well soon.

Everybody was ok no big deal but very funny. I try to instill a sense of personal responsibility on SWMBO, so she feels more confident in her own abilities out in the sticks and this was a safe learning experience for her. :lmao: We both found it very funny but at the same time I gently reminded SWMBO of the "what if.." scenario and maybe next time there's a thought that clicks in and encourages a routine of check and double check...just in case.As for the back, thanks for the support...:You_Rock_ getting there:)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I was glad to see you could both see the funny side of things. I was beginning to wonder when the divorce was coming up? It is good when you can treat things like that with a bit o humour, and hopefully things will turn out better on the next similar trip.
At least you did not forget the K.K. I took SWMBO out to the forestry site at Loch Achray,
Had a hell of a jub getting the fire going, only to find that I had Taken the billy out of my sack. I managed to get a brew going eventually in a brown paper bag suspended over the
wood stove. Felt a " right " Woodsman, when it took ages to light a fire big enough to have a brew, still I partly saved face with my Paper Billy Can. Old Boy Scout trick I had not actually tried before.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Woodsmoke,I know how you feel as I am in the same circumstances at the moment with my back,just had injections in spine to destroy some nerves,to stop the cronic pain,still have another set to have,which will be the 3rd set,then hopefully I will be without pain,for the first time in nearly 2 years.
I have done exactly the same thing with my wife,hoping to install that sense of responsibilty and confidence,but leaving all that aside,I hope you both had a brilliant time and seeing those pictures I think you did.
Just like to say I hope you are without pain soon,as I know what an effort it most have been just to drive to the location,let alone to do the walk aswell.
All the Best Clayton

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
regards the hand gel, maybe it doesn't light so well in the cold?

Alcohol gel barely burns at all in sub-zero temps, even if you can get it lit. I learnt that trying to brew up on greenheat one winters day...

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
I always let her decide on her own packlist. And then secretly pack all the stuff she has forgotten or thought unnecessary in my own pack. After letting her suffer in the rain/cold for some time I will lovingly dig up her raincoat and hand it to her, while trying not to chuckle.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Sorry guys I find the whole 'female' angle of this thread more than a bit patronising.

There are plenty of women on this forum who are perfectly capable bushcrafters as well you know, and I also know of plenty of blokes who are capable of being equally clueless.

Anyone who knows that their partner (male/female/whatever) is unaccustomed to outdoor activities & plans to take them out, I would expect to be be a little more on the ball themselves. So if you're in charge, then the buck stops with you. ;)

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Sorry guys I find the whole 'female' angle of this thread more than a bit patronising.

There are plenty of women on this forum who are perfectly capable bushcrafters as well you know, and I also know of plenty of blokes who are capable of being equally clueless.

Anyone who knows that their partner (male/female/whatever) is unaccustomed to outdoor activities & plans to take them out, I would expect to be be a little more on the ball themselves. So if you're in charge, then the buck stops with you. ;)

:):) There's a thread killer right there!! your not questioning the great and the good are you? :):)

Can you not see the light heartedness which was the intent of the post, to hilight the difficulties it is for us guys who really are encouraging their companions out into the countryside? I apologise unreservedely if it has upset or been interpreted as patronising, this was not my intent at all. My wife certainly doesn't find it patronising at all. She found the whole thing really funny and has learned from the guided self discovery in a safe environment. But hey you are right it could have equally been a guy, so in future I'll write MPWMBO (my partner who must be obeyed!) :lmao:

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Of course I can, but my point about being the experienced bushcrafter taking the novice out still stands. They're under your care so to minimise potential mistakes which could at the least be inconvenient & the worst downright dangerous it's your call and not theirs (however funny things might be with hindsight!). I hope your back's on the mend now by the way.

in future I'll write MPWMBO (my partner who must be obeyed!)

:lmao: Now that, I like! ;)

Of course I can, but my point about being the experienced bushcrafter taking the novice out still stands. They're under your care so to minimise potential mistakes which could at the least be inconvenient & the worst downright dangerous it's your call and not theirs (however funny things might be with hindsight!). I hope your back's on the mend now by the way.

I agree with you totally, but in light of the origonal post, do you honestly think I would put MPWMBO :lmao: or anyone else willingly at risk? No, and I don't think anyone would willingly do so either(unless it's concensual-ie risky sports). As a community worker (PG(ce)CE (with countless trips under my belt with groups in the countryside) I find that guided self discovery in safe environment is the best form of informal education and in this case, thats exactly what it was. And if we are not allowed to make mistakes in an attempt to learn in a safe and supportive environment, then we lose the opportunity to learn and grow as a person. From little mistakes, big lessons are learned that can be applied to a multitude of contexts. Pegagogy may be your style of teaching, but it's certainly not mine. :p That asside, the post is from a guys perspective, who has a wife who dearly loves to be outsoors but from her perspective, struggles at times due to her adjusting to living outside with all the adjustments she has to make because of her gender/personality. And that is important as we can all laugh and learn from our shared experiences without being too serious about it all unless of course...blah blah blah we go on.:p

Backs on the mend ta, but probably getting payed off this month due to it...bummer.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
hehehe...laughing WITH you buddy.

I let my wife pack whatever she wants. I suggest things but don't count on her taking them. Usually I just pack enough for the family and end up with one heavy pack. Over time, she is getting better about being equipped. Funny how that happens when the suggested items are actually handy and useful.

Give your SWMBO another year or two of outings and you should be ok. :rolleyes:

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I remember one weekend out backpacking with my missus. We were camping up in the middle of nowhere and she asks if I fancied a beer. I laughed and said "I'd love one". At this point she pulls out a litre bottle from her pack. Awesome!

I love being looked after. :D

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE