Need Scales - ironwood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
As heading says im wanting a couple of slabs of desert ironwood for a set of scales - dilemma, where do you all buy your scales? 2 ebay sites have them one at 7quid and one at 27 quid both plus postage
how much do you pay for scales?
ta.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Desert Iron wood is now illegal to collect so it wil get harder to find.If you find any well figured pieces for sale, its worth what your prepared to pay for it.

As OW said of cynics, they know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
ooo thanks for that didnt realise - i just like the deep red with black - is there something similar which might not be as elusive?

knivesand91stbirthday026.jpg

this is the effect i want

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Cocobolo or Zebrano have shades either side of that. zebrano is a bit lighter and buffer, while cocobolo is usually a bit browner. Well figured yew sometimes has very similar shades too.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
cocobola it is, ive heard nasty reports about working with it, any thoughts/ advice

Check out the forums at www.britishblades.com, they have LOTS of info. Before I did my knife with olive wood scales, I'm glad I checked the forums...stumbled on to a story of a guy that got really sick from sawdust...including weeks long irritation to eyes, difficult breathing....and also some memory loss. No kidding.:(

Go to a professional hardware store an get good masks and goggles. Check the protection type you need (P1, P2, P3 etc). It migh be that the guy behind the counter doesn't know, so be educated. And: tape the nozzle of your old vacuum cleaner near your sanding area, so everything gets sucked away immediately.

After all measure have been taken: enjoy making your own knife!

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
Desert Iron wood is now illegal to collect so it wil get harder to find.If you find any well figured pieces for sale, its worth what your prepared to pay for it.

As OW said of cynics, they know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

why and when is it illegal

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its been Illegal to Harvest in the USA for about 18 months. There are of course, supplies already on peoples shelves and sheds that are still being sold through and Mexico is probably supplying some.Its increasing rarety is the cause of high prices for premium quality pieces.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE