I Thought it was time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Due to father Christmas bringing my little boy his own tent, sleeping bag and kip mat I thought it was time for him to have his first knife.
I went for the Mora training knife - Clipper @ the Woodlore site
The Knife arrived today, so before I handed it over the matter of a few little rules...

At this point he still has no idea what it is.
DSC_0062.jpg

Here are the rules...
DSC_0071.jpg

And then...
DSC_0064.jpg

After a little demonstration of how to take the knife out / return it safely we moved on to taking care of it with a little oil...
DSC_0066.jpg

Just waiting for the weather to improve slightly and it will be weekends away whittling in the woods...

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
and lots of plasters lol.

I started about that age and think it is, by far, the best way. Cuts happen - and there's a lesson to be learned from every single one.

Good on yer for educating the lad :eek:)

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi that's a lot off knife for a little lad:eek: your gonna need eyes in the back off your head now and a big bag off sticky plasters. heal be fine i think his respect will come when he gets his first Nick from the blade

buffalobill

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2005
Wales
Good idea. I know he'll respect the sharp edge - he's seen first hand what happens when Daddy got kissed by his Granfors ;)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Great gift - my son got a SAK when he joined Cubs and daughter has just joined Scouts so got a Mora.

Keep the plasters handy, as NovemberRain said...
Cuts happen - and there's a lesson to be learned from every single one.

Hope you both have hours of quality time together!

Simon

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I can only second what everybody else has said

I bought my lad his first proper knife at 8 , now at 10 he is well used to handling , cleaning etc, he now uses one I made for him which is great for me too, as he likes to tell everybody that his Dad made his knife for him

Enjoy the time together but do take some plasters with you

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
got my first knife when I was 7 that's right SEVEN!!! but always had a great deal of respect for the tool so never had any major disasters!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE