( Almost ) Iced in on Derwentwater.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Despite hoping to get away around lunchtime, Mrs Cumbrian managed to find me plenty to do before I could pack the car and leave. As it was, Steve and I arrived at the lake within five minutes of each other, despite having travelled from opposite sides of Cumbria. Before long, the canoes were packed, and we were on the water by half two, having to break the ice to get out of the marina.

Skiddaw:

PC290112.jpg

As the weather was so good, we kept our plans open as to where to camp, as we expected the more popular sites to be occupied. However, apart from our two canoes, all we saw on the lake was a couple of fishing boats, the launch and two people in sea kayaks. There was also a group of kids with adult leaders on St Herbert’s Island but they soon departed when they heard the dinner gong from Hawse End centre.

Looking South:

PC290118.jpg

The Jaws of Borrowdale:

PC290120.jpg

Having stopped on the way to collect firewood from a bay where driftwood collects, all we had to do when we got to our campsite was unload the boats and put the hammocks and tarps up. It nearly got a bit Brokeback Mountain when the zip on Steve’s salopettes decided to pack in but I was spared the mental scars as I was facing the other way at the time.
When this was done, I started to make something that I’d brought a specially selected stick along for. I’d wanted a pole that I can use while kneeling in the canoe, that also double as a crude paddle for when the water gets too deep for a pole. It’s a fairly thick stick, with the narrow end used and shaped as a basic grip, and the thicker end flattened out, but still with enough strength to use as a pole.

PC290150.jpg

When it was properly dark, we sat down around the fire and opened the beer and whisky. As we’d found a birch log, I didn’t use firelighters and matches as is my usual ( lazy ) habit, but I started the fire with birchbark and a spark rod. I was a bit dubious about the birchbark as it had a layer of frost under it after I peeled it off the log, but the stuff never ceases to amaze me as it took after a couple of strikes. The fire was soon roaring away,

PC290131.jpg

and I was glad that I’d brought a firebox because it encourages good fire husbandry, especially during the long nights of winter. I don’t know why it is, but just as chips taste better out of paper, whisky always tastes better when sat around a campfire. The food situation improved greatly when Steve announced that he’d brought some pre-microwaved potatoes to be finished off in the embers and a flask full of chilli. Preceded by some oatcakes accompanied by chilli flavoured olives, we were well set up survive the night.

PC290128.jpg

As we were sat chatting by the fire, I told Steve that I didn’t think that it was as cold as it had been recently, and that I wasn’t even sure if it was below freezing. He thought that it was around the freezing point, maybe a little below, but not by much. After Steve crashed I took some self portraits ( these are the least bad )

PC290149.jpg

and turned in myself. I was using my new hammock cocoon, but I just couldn’t get away with it. There’s no fault with the design or workmanship, I think I’m just a bit too wide for it. Plus the fact that I was happy to free myself from the tyranny of zips when I got my under blanket and quilt, it felt like a backward step to be zipping myself in. Apart from cold feet though ( note to self, get some bivvy boots ), I was warm enough and didn’t get out of my pit until about half eight.

The first surprise of the morning came when I tried to take a drink out of the bottle of cola that I’d kept by the hammock and found it frozen. No matter, I just about managed to get enough liquid water out of the water container, which had been left near the fireplace, to fill the Kelly Kettle for coffee.

PC300177.jpg

PC300178.jpg

The second surprise of the morning came when I looked through the trees towards the lake and noticed that there were no waves. I walked down to the shore and was amazed to see the water frozen to about twenty feet offshore. I went back up to our camp and told Steve that it was a good job that we’d brought more alcohol and food than necessary, as we were iced in. He didn’t believe me at first, but after looking for himself and realising that it was frozen, but that we’d be able to break out, phoning our wives and telling them that we were stuck wasn’t really an option.

Looking South:

PC300181.jpg

Looking North:

PC300187.jpg

PC300179.jpg

After packing up, we had a beautiful paddle back in perfect conditions.

PC300188.jpg

PC300237.jpg

PC300224.jpg

PC300196.jpg

PC300199.jpg

Yours truly:

PC300207.jpg

PC300210.jpg

PC300274.jpg

Rampsholme Island:

PC300254.jpg

Catbells:

PC300249.jpg

Heading back:

PC300287.jpg

PC300281.jpg

There was some thin ice over a large part of the lake, but nothing serious until we got back to the marina. The usual approach that we’d used the previous day was completely iced over, so we tried the outer landing. It was still a bit of a struggle to get to the slipway, and I had to employ the kneeling pole that I’d made the night before.

PC300288.jpg

PC300289.jpg

Speaking to a friend later that day, he said that he was driving along the A66 past Keswick at nine o’clock in the morning, and his car’s thermometer said that it was -7° C.
As far as I’m concerned, it just shows the warming power of chilli and whisky.

All the best everyone, and Happy New Year.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great write up Michael and some stunning photos fella.

I think the fourth picture down on the journey back is superb. Can I buy a copy ??

Just wish I`d been able to make it.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Cumbrian:

Thanks for sharing your pictures of the canoe trip. You have a beautiful lake to paddle and a good friend to share it with.

Gordy

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Fantastic pics, the lakes are a great part of this country,your a lucky man living there.
By the looks of it your having it cold there, was nice and frosty here yesterday now weve got that wet damp stuff.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Great pics and sounds like the perfect night out, last time I was on the lake it never stopped raining for 5 days!! (that was in August):(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE