Favourite Things in Fire Starting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Favourite Fire starting method?

• Total voters

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
As I said the last time such a question/poll came up, my preferred fire starting method is ---

having a buddy along to start the fire!

Hey, it's an old cowboy philosophy type of thing.

Kind of like seeing three guys in a pickup truck all dressed pretty similar. Just by looking at them, which one is the real cowboy?

It's the one setting in the middle. He is there by design. He don't have to drive, and he doesn't have to open/close the gates!

Never walk when you can ride. Never stand when you can sit. And always get the coffee water upstream from the cattle herd.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands - who's also trailed a few beeves in the past

p.s. But of the listed methods, I prefer Flint and Steel

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
.snip...Kind of like seeing three guys in a pickup truck all dressed pretty similar. Just by looking at them, which one is the real cowboy?

It's the one setting in the middle. He is there by design. He don't have to drive, and he doesn't have to open/close the gates!

Never walk when you can ride. Never stand when you can sit...snip.

Sounds like a so called "manager" to me... :cool:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I do love the staged simplicity of flint and steel. Spark into a bit of charcloth or amadou, into your tinder bundle and away you go! I always have a firesteel as back-up, though, and it comes in as a very close second, purely for its ease of use in just about all conditions.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
use to love the way vegetable oil got the wood going when i had to light an arga every few days and an open fire in the main room when i had the cottage .
when im out and about i just enjoy using what ever i find
though i love a bit of birch bark some cotton wool and a flint and steel the best

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Birch bark and fire steel for me too, sometimes matches but usually 1st method. I need to get a flint and steel as i have only tried it twice with amadou or charcloth.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
The answer to this really depends on the time of day and frame of mind I'm in...
I love flint and steel, but hand me them when I wake up at 4am because the temp has dropped to -4 and the tarp is surrounded with snow and I'll just give you this look: :bluThinki and get a lighter out.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
As a newbie to the firesteel, and still practising - I would have to say that my trusty Zippo always stood me in good stead. Now I have more time I'll probably amend this at a later date.

I know I need to practice more with the bow and hand drills..., I've barely even started...., and I have only made a few attempts with flint and steel with fungus, but matches and lighters are too easy now so right now it's the firesteel for me. I have been practicing with it and it is what I have used to start the last dozen or so fires I have had.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
The last time I had to make a fire to actually fight off hypothermia I had a trioxene bar in my kit and used that to get things going real fast. I use all sorts of different techniques like everyone here and I'm always looking for something new or a fresh challenge. Learning the "floating hands" technique for the hand drill is next on my list.

That said, in winter weather I always carry something that will give me an emergency fire right away. I tend to remember those fires for a long time. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE