how do you harvest birch bark?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rigger_john

Sep 23, 2008
leicester
Susi, your post is well thought and concise, however I am left with the feeling you think I am in some way advocating foreign bushcrafters desending upon Finish forest to wreck havoc on the birch population. Let me assure you that is not the case.

The use of the phrase "I suppose" was prehapes not well thought out and had I been expecting the Spanish Inquisition I would not have used it. :)

However that said, why don't you want people visiting Finland to
just "suppose" they have to consider ownership.

Would you prefer they visited and didn't suppose to consider ownership, clearly not. You seem to be taking issue with sombody who is in whole hearted agreement with your stance.

I would also like to point out that I did not say,
"it is not a problem" to remove bark from a birch tree in Finland, in contrast to the UK where people would "get upset"

I said

Whereas in Finland it seems that it's no problem.

Now clearly I was wrong as reading through the post it was Tor talking about Norway so that should have read "Whereas in Norway it seems that it's no problem". My bad, but it is still not an advocation of the practice mearly a comment upon it.

I am no expert on either Finish law or custom and you clearly have an advantage in that area, but please don't take issue just for the sake of it as I have not advocated the stripping of trees at any time.

To sum up Susi, I do not contest any of the points you have made, and I do not think my previous statments given rise to your inferance that I am advocating a particular practice.

Thanks for the link to the Everyman's Rights document, I am looking forward to reading it.

regards

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Despite the difference of opinion I wish to thank several people. Those who created offence, however inadvertantly, and those who took offence. Through both sides I have been educated and that is a very good thing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE