Nutters!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I saw people doing this when I lived in Chamonix. The amount of forward motion they get is incredible.

I was on the mountain when a few jumped out of a helicopter (not BASE but still very low) and they were absolutely screaming across the sky. I'd seen some skydivers do the same at the same spot a few years before and the difference was mind boggling.

It looks like an absolute riot to me.

Oh - have a loot at Speed Flying too. If you search for "speed flying chamonix" on youtube there are a few 5ish minute videos of the guys I saw doing that in Chamonix too.
Also looks much fun - only issue is my skiing isn't good enough to try that. I'm more of a snowboarder. With time I'll improve my skiing and have a crack though.

2nd edit... If you search "speed riding" as well as "speed flying" you'll find some more - I believe both names are used.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Did you not watch 'Jetman live' where the Swiss guy flew the English channel in 10 mins with a jet powered wing ........ Awesome!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
No No Thats just wrong lol
I dont particularly like heights by the way
or crashing into rocks for that matter
Fair play to them though
Cant help but wonder what happens if you get it wrong......
as I have a strong feeling I would

No No Thats just wrong lol
I dont particularly like heights by the way
or crashing into rocks for that matter
Fair play to them though
Cant help but wonder what happens if you get it wrong......
as I have a strong feeling I would

well the first vid is in 'memory of Stevo'
I guess a simple miscalculation or mistake would be quite unforgiving whilst doing this.
Definatley a single mans sport I think.:)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks amazing, id love to give it a go, if i was brave enough to make the first jump.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
lol they truly are a bunch of nutters. I used to do glider aerobatics before moving on to powered aviation... would love to give it a go but I value my life too much. Search youtube for 'base jump crash' or similar for the downsides to the sport!

One of the more common causes of death in BASE jumping is due to the wind blowing the jumper into the face of the object (cliff, antenna etc) they have jumped off.

I saw a BASE website a while ago that had an "in memory" type page where it listed jumpers who've lost their lvies in the sport, the number that were listed as hitting the wall after wind or turbulence pushed them into it was quite scary.

Other causes are the chute opening badly causing them to turn face onto the cliff and hit it; chute failure (usually no time for a reserve in BASE); human error (opening chute too late) and so on.

I imagine that the wingsuits could make things much safer in some ways. They are much further from the cliff face when their chute opens and so less likely to hit it. They also have a much longer flight time so have more time to check everything is ok and get into a good body position in good time for deployment.

I'd love to do this. I've got a fairly decent ability to ignore my sense of self-preservation and I go backcountry snowboarding as much as I can - glaciers around the Chamonix valley - however I've not managed to talk myself into it yet - something in me still says "nutters" when I think of it. Considering some of the terrain I snowboard (and will be riding this winter - some of it is pretty hardcore) that I'm put off BASE for the risk is pretty incredible. Haha.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Watching Daredevils on tv this evening reminded me of one of the lads on here who was into base jumping, anyone know his username?

this is brilliant but if you realy want to see something truely amazing hunt down the red bull videos from japan. much better video work and some of them are aiming to clip the tree lines etc on purpose, if i was only unmarried again it would be a video of me doing it

I started doing what is call dangerous sports in the early eighties, because a friend of mine was a member of the oxford dangerous sports club, now they truely are completely intelligent idoits. when you do a bungie jump it is because they use a set of tables, these table explain how much stretch a set diameter elastic rope expands to a certain weight over a certain lengh , thats the reason why if you jump of a bridge in newzealand you onlu get your head wet when you hit the water below. it was the oxford lot that did them basics for that.

they used to bungie jump from a tethed hot air ballon and some bright spark decided to put his maths degree to so use. the only one i never tried was a trebuchet but my spine wont take it

i used to do base, i did 25 jumps over two years and then lost my bottle after a near miss and i got arrested on the landing on number 25 aswell.

for my sons 16 birthday we went and did a static line jump out of a plane , we flipped a coin before we wnet into training and for his sixtenth birthday he was allowed to boot the old man out of a airoplane, quality best £130 each we spent on a birthday pressie, i of course hated it and never ever want to do it again, untill next year!!

Last edited:
these were the two links i was shown at work
yes there clean!!

http://player.vimeo.com/video/31481531?autoplay=1

you unmarried under fourties are soooooooooooooooo lucky with the amount of toys you have to kill your selves with.

all i had was old style airoplane parachuteing, never even went higher than 8,000 feet
base jumping 25 and lost my bottle, mainly aireals and tower cranes ( i am a builder )
scuba diving, cave diving and wrecking, spent a fortune to become a commercial diver did four commercial jobs and ran away screaming.

chricky i did not even have power kites to kill my self with and the wife does not want me to have a kite larger than 3 metres so i can even break my own neck when i want to

i am so jealous of you people some times

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE