My New Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I bought a bit of stuff at midland game fair, Stainless blade and Ivory Linen micarta handle. This is what I made with it. I am well chuffed. I mostly made the sheath with the knife, apart from the sewing that is.

Attachments

• knife001.jpg
    knife001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 412
  • knife003.jpg
    knife003.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 398
  • knife004.jpg
    knife004.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 394

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Only my second attempt, so I just went from one catastrophe to another really, I gave up trying to get it perfect a couple of weeks ago.:)

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thank you all for the kind words, I am determined to make you like my knife next time.:)

Forginhill, I took a lot of time with the design and how it would look at the end of the project, I am happy that it turned out how I drew it at the outset. I know there is a lot of improvement in the manufacturing technique, but that will come.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I Think that I am getting the bug, I was in my shed this morning at 6 O'clock,

I made this, it's my third knife and first attempt at a riveted tang, I should have known better than to try it on a stainless blade, but you live and learn. I wish the pictures could show how this baby feels in the hand, it sinks in and begs to be held. I like it.:)

The blade is not made by me it is a little Polar 82mm Whittler.

Attachments

• 042-1.jpg
    042-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 269
  • 040-1.jpg
    040-1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 044-1.jpg
    044-1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 041-1.jpg
    041-1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 262

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Barney you should start a new thread for the latest knife

I like that one, more my style of thing interesting handle shape what type of sheath are you making:D

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Brancho,

I did not have a plan for this knife I had two glued up to the antler and leather with the wood on, I started making this with the blade from the other one still in the block, i think my subconscious took over because the shape of the handle I was using was hurting my hand.LOL.

The photos make the shape look more "unusual" than it is in reality.

What type of sheath do you suggest for this knife? Give me some ideas!

Barney

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
very nice Barney.

I'd probably have the front bulk a bit further to the front, and maybe a bit smaller but then again. Hard to tell from pics. Very nice work indeed!!

Sheath: Scandinavian of course. All closely wetformed to the knife, with the stitching on the back.
(Biased?? Nooooo........ well. A little maybe)

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
DKW,

I will find a tutorial somewhere and have a bash.

I can scan some pics that might be of assistance if you fancy that. The text would be danish so not much help for you on that part though.

Hmm. Just thought. If you can wait till tomorrow, i'll write a tutorial including explanatory pics for you....

Brancho:
What i find awkward in those tutorials: The stitching isn't centered, and the leatheredge hasn't been shaved to make a close fit prior to stitching. Great tutorials though. My guess would be that they have been made by people used to making sheaths with a sidestitch. ?? Don't know. I on the other hand have never made a sheath with a sidestitch so.. :dunno: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE