Campfire Projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
With the nights round the the campfire getting longer again - what "campfire projects" are you going to do?
I thought I would treat myself to a new spoon, so here is one I carved the other night. The wood is cherry (it came from my pile of firewood). It was a great night, raining, but I was still able to sit under my basha, do a bit of cooking, carve and just generally "chill" while listening to the rain on my tarp.
DSCO0670_medium_.JPG

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Smart one :)

I've always liked the thought of carving one of them Welsh love spoons myself.
Not something very practical but helps to improve ability. At the moment im carving
some 4000 year old bog oak that came from Glastonbury. Its as hard as iron!

Lovely jet black colour to it though. Might try a spoon made from some of it later?

I love carving :)

Andy >>>>>------------------------------------<>

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thanks Neil!
I thought I had cracked the posting pics - I hate technology!!!
It will be a user, I made it a bit longer than my others so it can reach the bottom of my snow-peak mug.
I grabbed another piece of the same wood, ready for when I'm out next. I am going to make a bowl or cup in the same style.
Neil

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
The bacteria around the wood are deprived of oxygen whilst its underwater, or burried in sludge/peat. This means it dont really rot. I make alot of things from bog oak.
Its a generic name actually, any bog wood, whether its yew, ash, oak or whatever is called bog oak. After a while working with wood you can normally tell what it is by the grain pattern though :)

Andy >>>>>--------------------------------<>

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
All those knives Spamel - you must have a few campfire projects on the go?

Kuksa at the moment, would like to do a bowl/platter at some stage. Thinning out some of my kit would be a good idea too, or so the wife says! Got a few sloes stashed away, gonna get some more to try and make a suitable tipple. I'm thinking of stocking right up on them and getting a bottle going each month or so for a few months, try and get a good selection on the go a it seems to be popular at the meets!

Still got the leather belt that Eric sent me eons ago to do, I just haven't gotten round to it yet but I hope to start on that in the next few weeks, winter clothing requires a belt of considerable proportions to get around the outside of those layers! then, using Erics' tutorial on the leather bottles I want to make something that i saw on the Tales from the Green Valley, although whether i am capable of such things remains to be seen. So plenty of plans, just finding time to do them! :rolleyes:

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
my normal campfire project is emptying bottles of cider, but sometimes i can be found reading, or carving spoons and cups, woodworkiong being my favourite hobby, it's just a shame i'm so rubbish at it!

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
The bacteria around the wood are deprived of oxygen whilst its underwater, or burried in sludge/peat. This means it dont really rot. I make alot of things from bog oak.
Its a generic name actually, any bog wood, whether its yew, ash, oak or whatever is called bog oak. After a while working with wood you can normally tell what it is by the grain pattern though :)

Andy >>>>>--------------------------------<>

I never heard of the generic name being bog oak, up here we get a lot of bog pine, good for fires.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I had a week out, the one before last and so gout quite a few evenings by the fire. It was great! - I had a chance to work on some new venison recipes and finish a carving project or two:
3082026805_c0761d88e6_o.jpg

Now hopefully theres a picture above (or a web page link).
This weekend - the weather is looking great but I need to get a smock done for someone and theres a little rucksack project I'm working on ......but more of that later.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE