a bit of bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
bush-craft is a very important thing and in order to make it easier should the time ever come practice is needed.Today my boys and i went into the woods to build an open fronted bender ,they were keen to get stuck in especially 5y.o jack who is very bush-craft oriented. we gathered a mix of beech saplings and hazel sticks and proceeded to make our shelter.
Robin jack and I were to be sleeping out this eve but the weather forecast was for 60% chance of rain from 11pm till 4am so we have put it off til Sunday night which is due only20% chance of rain.
DSC01880.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

the kids set to work gathering materials
DSC01876.jpg

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01874.jpg

the main frame finished,plenty of room!
DSC01881.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

the entrance is facing east to make the most of the early morning sun for warmth,we gathered a large pile of seasoned birch and ash for the camp fire.
DSC01883.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

hope fully we will have a darn good time tomorrow eve and acquire a pheasant or bunny to cook over the spit!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If I saw an open fronted bender in my woods, I'd kick him in the goolies and call the police! :D

Nicely made shelter though, what tarp do you have in mind, just a sheet of polythene? A few logs, twigs and bracken/grass on the floor would make a great bed for sleeping on, I'd like to try making one of these as I never have.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Looks great!I love doing stuff like this with the kids myself but I got two girls:rolleyes: !

P.S Did you find the head?If not I think I have a spare it the shed,same size I think let me know.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks great!I love doing stuff like this with the kids myself but I got two girls:rolleyes: !

And?

If my two were girls it wouldn't matter. They'd still be learning how to build shelters, fires, use a knife and axe safely etc.

I must admit though, my God-daughter's love of wearing bright pink makes her a lot easier to find than my son in his green and newly discovered talent for hiding.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE