Ohoj, the fire!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Is there room and warmth enough for another swede?
I stumbled upon this site a while ago and have found myself logging in several times a day since then to get information and inspiration. I intended to keep quite and listen and learn for a while but it's too tempting to not join in so here I am.
I am 38 years old and live in the south central of sweden in the region of "småland".
I am currently winding down in my kitchen watching two huskys stare at the oven where jerky is drying, inspired by a recipe from this site.
The dogs feel neglected and haven't had a good exercise for a while because I have been spending all my spare time for the last three days buchering and mincing my share of this years moosehunt.
I have been "in the woods" in one way or another all my life and enjoy camping, hiking, skiing, seakayaking and of course racing my huskies both winter and summer but lately I have started to feel that my bushcraft skills are not what they should be and I feel I will learn a lot from the people here.
I work at the national board of forestry whose main mission is to help forestowners manage their forests and part of my job is also to manage naturereserves.

If you plan to visit sweden and want to organise the trip yourself I hope I, together with the other scandinavians on the forum, can be of assistance so don't hesitate to give us a shout!

Cheers!

/Mathias

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Thank you all for the warm wellcome!

SimonM
Yes, reading here helps give a perspective on how fortunate I am to always have wilderness close and always have a right to be there.
Often when you have an interest you find that you are living in the wrong part of the world to persue it. This is, I think, the third time that I find myself in the best place in the world.
The first was wreckdiving. Where else in the world can you dive preserved wrecks from the viking age up to WW2?
The second is seakayaking. The dense archipelagos of the swedish east coast are some of the best kayaking there is.

Chips
Today I have two dogs which is a little light for meaningful "Nomestyle" sledding but works excellent for "nordic style" touring. It also allows me to have a "normal" lifestyle and take the dogs with me everywhere i go. My friends who have more dogs are more limited in this aspect (try stringing up 8 huskies on your father in law's suburb lawn...).

Shewie
I can't "get" or give you a job but if your serious I'll help you with any contacts or information I can. I see you work with"ones and zeroes". What kind of trees are they?

/Mathias

Is there room and warmth enough for another swede?
I stumbled upon this site a while ago and have found myself logging in several times a day since then to get information and inspiration. I intended to keep quite and listen and learn for a while but it's too tempting to not join in so here I am.
I am 38 years old and live in the south central of sweden in the region of "småland".
I am currently winding down in my kitchen watching two huskys stare at the oven where jerky is drying, inspired by a recipe from this site.
The dogs feel neglected and haven't had a good exercise for a while because I have been spending all my spare time for the last three days buchering and mincing my share of this years moosehunt.
I have been "in the woods" in one way or another all my life and enjoy camping, hiking, skiing, seakayaking and of course racing my huskies both winter and summer but lately I have started to feel that my bushcraft skills are not what they should be and I feel I will learn a lot from the people here.
I work at the national board of forestry whose main mission is to help forestowners manage their forests and part of my job is also to manage naturereserves.

If you plan to visit sweden and want to organise the trip yourself I hope I, together with the other scandinavians on the forum, can be of assistance so don't hesitate to give us a shout!

Cheers!

/Mathias

There's always space by the campfire!

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Hi Mathias and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you live a wonderful life. (Where is the green with envy smilie when you need it) ;)

Dave

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Chips
Today I have two dogs which is a little light for meaningful "Nomestyle" sledding but works excellent for "nordic style" touring. It also allows me to have a "normal" lifestyle and take the dogs with me everywhere i go. My friends who have more dogs are more limited in this aspect (try stringing up 8 huskies on your father in law's suburb lawn...).

Yeah, I always fancied getting a fair few dogs, but the work put me off. I love huskies though, and all the other wolflike dogs.

Do you have any advice on training dogs to know left and right? I do a small amount of skijorring, mostly on trails, but my dogs are unreliable on the turn unless it's pretty obvious. I know most dogs are trained by letting them run with a trained lead dog, but I have no such lead dog.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Chips
I use my "mushing" comands all the time when I walk the dogs and I also train them a lot with my bike. When the dogs take the left trail I say "Left" and so on. I also walk them through the woods and zigzag them between the trees. It doesn't take long for them to catch on. When they do, I start training on an open field. This is usually difficult for them to not have a trail to follow.
There is also the issue of where the dogs want to go, it affects their hearing...
As someone pointed out: Mushing is not about control, it is about varying degrees of lack of it.
What dogs do you have?
I didn't realize there was enough snow in scotland for skijoring.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Yeah, it was the open fields that I was having particular difficulties with.

I have a beagle which is pretty good, exceptionally fit, and a lab. I also have the loan of friends dogs on occasion for more power.

Yeah, we get quite a bit of snow. It's not reliable at sea level though unfortunately. But higher up you can have snow that's good enough from november up till about may.
There are a lot of nice glens I have my eye on doing this winter. Skijor in, then go ice climbing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE