making kit lighter and more compact.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Stuart said:
in my twenty liter rocket paks I carry:

between the pack and the harness fits my water bag which carrys 3 liters (the minimum i am happy traveling with)

down sleeping bag (800 fill -13deg) 900g
Hennesy hammock ultralite A-sym
MSR titan (titanium cooking pot which has handles so it can be used as a mug I have also added a hanging loop)
spare socks and swimming trunks
warm top (a ranger shirt or if very cold a down jacket RAB 750 fill)
Premac water purifyer
full medical kit
Folding saw (this is one of mine)
toilet roll
petzel tikka plus
repair kit (super glue and speed tape)
wash kit (toothbrush, mirror, soap, mini towel,wet wipes)
Bannock mix
a couple of Savu bags and spice mix

in my ventile jacket:

titanium spoon
mozzi net
leather gloves
knife with fire steel
tinder pouch with fire steel and green heat gel sachets
Buff
20 snares and fishing kit
leatherman wave
compass
photon torch around my neck with whistle
DC4 sharpening stone

Thats all i can think of at the moment I'll go off and check my bag and see if i have forgotton anything

Stuart out of curiosity, if you take an unexpected spill into the drink or if it is really hammering down how do you keep the contents of your rocket packs dry?

You have mentioned at least two items above that do not work overly well when soaking and if it is not warm enough to dry them out what do you do?

Or have you forgotten to mention either an ortlieb bag or some kind of liner?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
AH! well done I forgot that bit

The sleeping bag (which takes up almost all of one pouch) is packed inside a very light weight bivi bag similar to the RAB survival zone but mine isnt as good (and i have no idea who made mine)

the top is then twisted and coiled, i also pack my down jacket when carried in with the sleping bag

most of the other stuf is packed into there own Aloksak bags (as light weight as ziplock bags but much tougher and water proof to 60m)

Down kit is usless when it gets wet so you have to be religious about keeping it dry

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
sargey said:
whilst i agree wholeheartedly with the comments about surviving with next to nothing. it's all luxuries compared to our ancestors yes, but we need to keep it in context. we aren't all able to drop saplings to build thermally efficient shelters every night we go camping.

but all this does remind me of one thing, ditchfield, can i have my kit back now? :shock: :lol:

cheers, and.

Of course! Sorry, I forgot about it too. Thanks so much for the loan (and the knife, are you sure you don't want it back? t'was so kind of you). I will send it out as soon as possible. Please can you PM me your address, i've lost it :oops:.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I've managed to get my gear down to a 9 liter waterproof ruck, a water resistent belt pouch and US issue canteen w/cup, pouch and chemical water treatment. Around 13# or just over 1 stone including water. Well, that plus my Victorinox SAK w/saw and firesteel, as well as my leatherman that I carry on my belt. My main ruck (avatar) is almost 3 times the volume of this ruck, but this is the one I'll have with me when and if I get stranded while out and about in the truck.

Gear in the ruck and pouch are as follows.

1x US issue poncho
1x Smartwool socks
1x Shorts
1x Thermal longsleeved shirt
1x Esbit stove w/6 fuel tabs
1x USAF survival knife w/minikit in Blackhawk sheath pouch and paracord wrapped handle.
1x Small food kit
2x Heavy Duty 55 gallon industrial drum liners.
1x Notepad and pencil
1x gloves
1x First Aid Kit
1x Fishing/sewing kit
1x Bug juice towelettes (12)
1x Emergency candle
4x Pitchwitch firestarter
1x space blanket
1x TP (toilet roll)
1x Small burlap bag with carry handles (water carry)
1x 1 gallon ziploc freezer bag (water carry)
1x Spark-lite aviators firestarting kit w/extra tinder
1x Minimag flashlight
1x Compass
1x 15 meters parachute cord

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I read this useful tip in an 'Ultralight Backpacking' book:

Divide the gear that you are planning to take into 3 piles, Essentials, things you might need and luxuries. Get rid of the last 2 piles. Take whats left.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
always take one luxury, light weight camping should be comfortable nothing is more important than a good nights sleep

never ever leave your camera behind :nono: you will regret it :aargh4:

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
This is a how long is a piece of string question. The answer will vary with the length of the trip, the climate, the season, the purpose of the trip (dont need 80 rounds of 7.62 on a weekend hike) and whether or not you are carrying it on your back or in your car boot. That being said, I am a lazy bugger with a kit fetish so this is a question I ask myself all the time. I try a combination of two things when packing my full bag:

1. before repacking I prioritise the kit and keep picking up the rucksack as I fill it up. Once it starts getting hard to swing onto my back I stop and re-check

2. I look very hard at duplications...be wary of carrying too many knives, for example, or too many changes of clothes

3. Watch out for the 'nice to have' stuff/

4. Another trick is to use 'small' things like bars of soap from hotels rather than the big wedge from boots, travel sized toothpaste (like the freebies on airplanes) and a cut down towel. At one stage I even used to cut the handle of my toothbrush!

5. When I come back from a trip I also review my gear to check whether I needed to carry each item...For example in my survival kit I still carry protection, firelighting and water purification gear but I have stopped carrying snares

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
You want lightweight, I give you lightweight.

This is the dryweight with no food/fluids for a weekend out walking. Only 3 seasons though. Meets tend to be a very different setup.

Some of the gear is quite expensive, but you pay for comfort and being light.

Lightweight Gear list Weight (g)

Golite Jam 2 rucksack 600
Takonta Tarp 634
Cord bag 70
6 Pegs 142
Mozzie net 408
Sleeping bag liner 254
Snugpak Travel Paklite Sleeping bag 700
Bivi Bag 366
Marmot D-Lux Pump Sleeping mat 890
Beanie 40
Head Torch 76
Spork 18
MSR Kettle 118
Pocket Rocket stove 146
Gas Canister 210
Milk Flask 238
Water bottle 142
Water filter 70
Lighter 14
Matches 10
Brew Kit 108
FAK 48
Wet Wipes 52
Liquid Soap 66
Toothpaste 24
Toothbrush 16
Comb 10
.25 pan scrubber 4
Foot Powder 68
Waterproof Jkt 368
Tp Bag 16
Mozzie Repellent 48
Bandanna 40
Notebook & Pencil 58
Meds 10
Hipflask 210
Sp Socks 52
Fleece 380
Sp Bttys 18
Sp Specs 108
Gloves 40

Total weight 6890

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I read this useful tip in an 'Ultralight Backpacking' book:

Divide the gear that you are planning to take into 3 piles, Essentials, things you might need and luxuries. Get rid of the last 2 piles. Take whats left.

I read a similar quote in a travel book:

Put all the kit you think you need all laid out on your bed, along with all the money you are thinking of taking. Then take half the kit and twice the money and it should be about right.

Last couple of camps I've done I've weighed in my kit on my return and made a list - what i used, what I didn't use, what alternatives I could have taken etc etc.... Still working on it but it's throwing up some useful ideas.

Really good thread by the way - enjoying it :beerchug:

Dom.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have always wanted to tramp around. An old army greatcoat and a few essentials in the pockets.

They used to manage it on the road for weeks at a time but I have never discovered the details of their success.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Depends if we are talking survive the night or very comfortable :approve:
Yes you can go with next to nothing but no matter how much i try i cant leave my lovely old military winter bag at home. This old sleeping bag takes up 3/4 of my bergen and weighs about the same as a baby elephant but its a guaranteed good warm nights sleep.
I also tend to take all sorts of craft stuff, knives, bow stuff, carving stuff so that starts to stack on the lbs. Its the same for food i suppose, do i want to eat ratpacks or will i lug the extra weight for a fresh slow cooked lamb stew ?? ;)

I guess its down to what you want to do out there.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Maybe if we were all forced to spend 3 days in the wilderness with...

1 x knife
1 x billy can
1 x crusader mug/cup
1 x spoon/spork
1 x tarp + paracord
1 x bivi bag
1 x sleeping bag
3 x one day rations (...of your own choice and composition)
1 x milbank bag
1 x litre water bottle
1 x ferro rod
1 x loo roll.

Plus 5 more items of your own choosing, weighing no more than 5 pounds total, or 5 litres capacity, whichever is the greater (consider a first aid kit as 1 item, clean underpants as 1 item, clean socks as 1 item, camp mat/thermarest as 1 item etc).

I guess everything else is a luxury. :lol:

It might be an interesting idea/game/challenge to work out a minimalist kit list for us all to try out for 1 or 2 nights and then report our experiences?

I think that list is very long for neccessary items.

I would take
A knife
An axe
A pan
2 tarps with string, one for the roof, one to lie on
Sleeping bag
Carry mat
Food
Water bottle
And something to light the fire with. Maybe matches in wax.

If I had to add to that, a gill net and another pan, and spare socks. And that's all I'd need.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ah but this thread isn't what we could do without but what we actually take, in the UK you would get arrested for the gill net. If you were in charge of a group with that kit you would most likely be classed as irresponsibe. Unless you were extremely good and the right scenario you may end up needing to be pulled out.

I'll get a current kit list up in the near future but my current dry kitlist for hill or group work is about 8kg dry weight, heavier than needed definately.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
This is a very interesting thread. As is always the case, the gear lists change with user's attitudes, skill levels and fitness level.

In early September, I went on a 3 day backpacking trip in the Rocky Mountains near Calgary. Each day consisted of: 10km hike with elevation gain of 650m, 12km with 650m gain/650m loss, 15km last day was descent. The elevation at the camps is about 2300m above sea level.

The weather was forecast to be cool, complete with sun, cloud, rain, sleet, snow, ice and more frozen sleet. Temperatures ranged from -5C to +12C. Tent was covered with ice in the mornings.

For gear, I carried the following:
fox 40 whistle (carried on person)
1/2 of a two man tent c/w with fly and ground sheet (shared the load with partner)
MSR Pocket Rocket and one cannister of fuel (partner carried a spare cannister)
1 liter pot with lid
600ml plastic mug
one plastic spoon
1 - 1 liter water bag (collapsible platypus style)
3 - lighters (mini style) - one on me, one in FAK, one in pack
1 - folding spyderco knife (delica)
Petzel Tikka headlamp
first aid kit (fits into a 10" x10" x 2" plastic sac) contains basic needs with some extras like salt packs for making saline irrigation fluid, steri-strips,lots of tape and a SAM splint (the best part of my FAK)
8'x6' homemade sil-tarp (didn't even take it out of my pack, but I brought it so that I could lounge under it if the rain was really bad)
hiking pole (it does save your knees on descent)
35' of 2.5mm perlon cord
20"x20"x1/2" ensolite pad (for lounging on - my luxury item)
3/4 length thermarest
Suunto Observer watch with barometer/altimeter and compass

Clothes:
polypropylene shirt
poly long johns (top & bottoms)
schoeller pants & jacket
down jacket
goretex jacket & pants
very robust gaiters
stout boots
one pair wool socks c/w liners ( I should have brought an extra pair - but it was the one thing I forgot)
fleece toque
baseball style sun cap (I was being optimistic...)
sun glasses
silk balaclava
-10C sleeping bag
goretex overmitts
2 pair fleece mitts (thick and thin)
small tube of SPF 45 sunblock (rays off the snow are intense and burn the insides of your nostrils and ears)
4 feet of toilet paper (if you need more than this in 3 days, you wouldn't be able to bring enough anyway)
polypropylene gloves (thin liner gloves)
------------and yes, I did wear ALL of this when sitting around in the evening. No fires permitted on this trip
----------- while hiking I layered on and off all day (including changing out gloves as my hands and head/neck are my way of regulating my heat)

food:
dehydrated meals (plus one full extra day of food)
energy snacks, tea bags and sugar (my luxury items)
assorted energy bars
on this trip, at the trailhead after the trip I only had a single energy bar remaining

Total weight of all gear (including a liter of water) - minus the food - was 26 pounds. I did not weigh my pack with food in it, but would estimate that I had about 6-7 pounds of food.

Seems like an awful lot of gear, but note that most of it is clothing. That's the biggest risk on this particular trip. It can go from fall conditions to full-on winter in 2 hours.

I did not double up on anything, except maybe bringing the tarp along. Everything got used with the exception of the FAK.

I used a 60 liter pack.

My partner carried an 80 liter pack, full to the brim. Total weight had to be around 50 pounds.....to each their own I guess.

Cheers,
D

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
When I first started sleeping out I was the worlds worst for bringing huge bergans full of tat that I had no prospect of using. Now I seem have whittled my kit down to the point where I can now get a weekends kit in a 35litre pack:

Main compartment (within the heavy duty polythene bag that my Sabre 35 came in)
- Down sleeping bag in compression sack (like Dommy says these save a lot of space)
- Swedish army billy can, contains bottle of meths, burner, washing up liquid and scourer
- Spare skids, socks, base layer and wooly hat in a polythene bag - bringing spare clothes are the one thing I have cut down on massively
- wash kit: liquid soap, toothbrush and past, foot powder, small bottle of shaving oil, disposable razor and mirror, all rolled up in a webtex collapseable bowl
-travel towel
-highlander bivi bag, rolls up small into the hood
- foil survival blanket - I currently use this instead of a sleeping mat, it does keep you warm but condensation seems to form between it and the bag, so may have to go back to a sleeping mat
- polythene tarp
- loo roll and folding trowel in bag
-waterproof trousers and poncho

Side pockets
-crusader mug with nato water bottle, personal first aid kit
-brew kit
- six boil in the bag rations

Top pocket
-head torch and spare batteries
- hand cleaning gel
-extra food; usually two bars chocolate, salami, fruit and nuts, cereal bars
-knife and DC4 sharpening stone
-waterproofed fire starting kit; matches and some tinder

Luxury: I bought a really nifty collapsable camp bed from the backpacking lite site mentioned above. This packs down really small and fits under the top flap of the sack. That way you stay out of the wet and dont have roots or stones poking in your back.

I have my silky arborists saw that I strap to the outside of the sack with a carabiner, and I also carry a US army canteen with a shoulder strap.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Trying to reduce the weight of a 3 day trip can not be too difficult. What can happen in a weekend?
I find it difficult to reduce the weight of my winter-expedition-kit: Down (wet and cold after a week), Titanium-pot (needs more fuel), Fleece (smelly, clammy and not warm after a week) ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE