Folding Gore-Tex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Theo01

Mar 7, 2006
Gloucestershire, UK
I know, for example you shouldn't fold your bivi bag, as the creases, over time can damage the gore-tex, loosing its waterproofness - does the same go for gore-tex jackets???

Can I fold my jacket and put it in my bag, or should I just screw it up into a big ball and force it in!!!!?:D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
The issue with folding is that if you fold something exactly the same way every time it causes weaknesses.

I generally roll mine up.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I usually stuff my sleeping bag inside my gortex bivi which then goes in my pack. Keeps your sleeping bag dry incase your pack gets wet :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do the same as Dwardo with my sleep system, my jacket and trousers are rolled and put in my dry sack ( I don't have stuff sacks!!:rolleyes: but if I did I would just stuff them in aswell;) )

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm not convinced that "stuffing" Gore-Tex and other breathable membranes is the best way to pack it.

Clothes with a breathable membrane are a laminate with a layer of membrane glued to them. The membrane is basically some kind of polyurethane or similar plastic which, over time, will crack in places it is folded. The glue and taped seams also come loose over time.

If you stuff it you are, to some extent, creating random creases but you are creating many more creases than if you roll up your garment. You are also creating stronger creases than if you folded or rolled it. I think that this creates a lot of stress on the garment. I've tried stuffing it and, apart from having a horribly creased garment, I can't help but feel that I'm reducing the life of my garment.

So I'm in the "rolling" camp on this. At home I think it's best to have it on a hanger in a cupboard. AFAIK manufacturers of garments with breathable membranes don't sell or provide stuff sacks for their garments whereas some other garments, like down jackets, they do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE