My flint knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I do lots of knapping, mainly making tools that i can used in my everyday carving and messing around. Heres my flint knife that i recently made. Hampshire chert, red deer antler handle glued with pine resin mix and fastened with nettle string. To finish off i made a birch bark sheath, another material i've been playing around with lately.

flint%20knife%20in%20pouch%20grass.jpg

flint%20knife%20in%20pouch%20grass%20back%202.jpg

flint%20knife%201.jpg

flint%20blade%20grass.jpg

flint%20blade%20edge.jpg

flint%20knife%203.jpg

flint%20knife%20grass.jpg

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
It just gets use for simple everyday tasks while i mess around. If its to hand and something needs cutting then i'll use it. I made it just to prove to myself that i could.
Its quite time consuming making this type of knife using only prehistoric methods, you have to make the tools to then make the knife :)

Andy >>>>>---------------------------------------<>

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I've made a prehistoric fishing kit, and the knife was usefull in fashioning bits and pieces for that. The kit is still a work in progress, but hopefully, if i can find somewhere to use it i'll be gutting fish with the flint knife. It cuts meat fine, but its not the sort of thing you could use for intricate carving.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
a museum grade piece if i ever saw one! well done!

i make modern knives , i dont supose yood sell me a blade to handle?

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Im afraid i cant go down the whole selling route on here, it would'nt be fair on others who are full members etc, but its nice to see peoples comments. The bits that i make like this i do purely for the love of doing it, one offs. One day i'll go to a meetup and maybe show how its done :)

Andy >>>>>--------------------------<>

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Very nice knife, but unfortunately I suspect it could be illegal here in the UK.

Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988

"a stealth knife, that is a knife or spike, which has a blade, or sharp point, made from a material that is not readily detectable by apparatus used for detecting metal and which is not designed for domestic use or for use in the processing, preparation or consumption of food or as a toy"

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Thats an amazing knife, very well done :) as for that law, any officer that cant tell the difference between a hobbyist and a criminal shouldnt be "protecting" anything!

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Round here theres loads of the stuff, flint and chert. Farmers chuck it in the hedgerows to clear fields and theres always some to be found in the many tree throws. Dunno about posting it though, its quite dense stuff, heavy. I'd have no problem sending you some, just have to organise the postage side of things.

By the way, if you contact the god of knapping, John Lord, he can supply flint flakes and nodules. He does'nt list it on his site, but if you email and ask him im sure he'll help :)

Andy >>>>>-----------------------------------------<>

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Very nice knife, but unfortunately I suspect it could be illegal here in the UK.

Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988

"a stealth knife, that is a knife or spike, which has a blade, or sharp point, made from a material that is not readily detectable by apparatus used for detecting metal and which is not designed for domestic use or for use in the processing, preparation or consumption of food or as a toy"

well clearly it IS designed for domestic use or for use in the processing, preparation or consumption of food.

if you are refering to the not being made of metal clearly that would apply to ceramic knives. the law is applicable to weapons ie the abs plastic fightingknives available from the net,which are stealth knives and are made to be non detectable.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
well clearly it IS designed for domestic use or for use in the processing, preparation or consumption of food.

if you are refering to the not being made of metal clearly that would apply to ceramic knives. the law is applicable to weapons ie the abs plastic fightingknives available from the net,which are stealth knives and are made to be non detectable.

Ceramic knife manufacturers put metal in the knives to ensure they're detectable with standard equipment.

The law isn't that specific. Have seen similar knife to one about but with a Sapphire blade definately be considered illegal.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
ok Spiritofold if you let me know how much for the shipping when you find out,I'd love to get afew large pieces of chert off you,And yeah I have afew lovely Flint knives off the Lord's I think Will is doing alot of it now,I deal mainly with him.I just received 2 Drill Bits and a Great flint Knife blade that I'm going to make into a Basketmaker 2 Style knife,And a large Flint Tanged Knife.plus afew Flakes so I can make some HOKO Knives

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Both of them are great people to learn off, and have really inspired me. I'll see what i can put together for you.in the way of chert.

As for the legality of the blade, i say it is legal.

Its a traditional type of blade as made in this country for many hundreds, if not thousands of years. I *do* use it for domestic purposes, as i do the other flint blades i have made.
You should see the looks of amusement from my kids as i cut into a sunday roast to test it out......

Its a tool, im a carpenter and woodcarver by trade. If i want to use flint tools for what i do then so be it. Its justified!

Andy >>>>>-------------------------------------<>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE