Bear on Ray

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The title of this thread brings the most appalling images to mind - especially for anyone who knows the meaning of the term "slash fanfic"... (Don't google it if you don't already know!)
Thank heavens someone else got that from the title too :lmao:

I think to be perfectly honest that it shows incredible egotism on Bear's part that he considers himself RM's equal.

cheers,
Toddy

Faol

Aug 10, 2008
USA
www.bushcraftusa.com
Ray is showing bushcraft and how to live comfortably in the wild.
Bear is showing extreme survival skills, with little or no kit, that wouldn't normally be practised in the field - there are easier ways of getting water than drinking elephant urine out of elephant dung.

Bear's show is about entertainment and is NOT a documentary about his time in the wild, so I think he's perfectly entitled to stay in a hotel in between filming if he wishes.

I was going to say the exact same thing until I saw your post. Good call.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
bear says about ray, that hes a great guy and does a great job

ray says about bear, hes just a boyscout

Which ones the egotist?

“Do I look for tips from Bear Grylls? Yes - on how not to make television programmes! As far as I’m concerned, these people are just showmen. I think the viewer knows that if you want to really know how to take care of yourself in the wild, I’m the person to talk to. I welcome competition, but I want to see real experts, not boy scouts pretending to be.” Ray Mears Radio times Interview 28.04.2008

Ray didn't call Bear names, he only mentioned him as an example on how not to make television programmes

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I stand corrected on the quote, and at end of day, i would much rather watch ray mears on television (not least cos i havent had a television for past 10 years til now)

but bear grylls was a survival instructor/medic with 21 SAS, broke his spine in a skydiving accident, went on to summit everest at age of 23. . etc. Im not sure i can write him off as a muppet as easily as some

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I stand corrected on the quote, and at end of day, i would much rather watch ray mears on television (not least cos i havent had a television for past 10 years til now)

but bear grylls was a survival instructor/medic with 21 SAS, broke his spine in a skydiving accident, went on to summit everest at age of 23. . etc. Im not sure i can write him off as a muppet as easily as some
21 SAS TA, Not the real SAS, and of his three years claimed, 6 months was selection, 6 months or more was Army training skills, stuff squaddies do in their first couple of months. the rest of his time was weekends as and when and a couple of weeks a year.
Not like five months of hard slog that is the real SAS selction (not many make it) that they do after they've been in the regulars.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
21 SAS TA, Not the real SAS, and of his three years claimed, 6 months was selection, 6 months or more was Army training skills, stuff squaddies do in their first couple of months. the rest of his time was weekends as and when and a couple of weeks a year.
Not like five months of hard slog that is the real SAS selction (not many make it) that they do after they've been in the regulars.

Everest was a piece of cake to i suppose.

Bernie

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Maybe thats true tadpole, but i never been in the SAS, I never climbed everest, I never raised fortunes for charity, I never done any of these fantastic things, so i maintain the humility not to sit at my little computer and ridicule those that have.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ol' Ray really needs to learn some humility. I think his comments about Bear go a long way to showing that despite this media image he has built up about himself as the humble learner siphoning off the knowledge of more experienced tribal peoples, he really does consider himself the be-all end-all expert of bushcraft. :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ray doesn't know it all, of that I have no doubt. Looking at his Telemarking technique on the Real Heroes of Telemark was enough for me, later it was confirmed by my brother that Ray struggled with telemark skiing. His Troop Commander told him everything that happened on the RHoT, he was a Sergeant at the time of the filming and one of the Commandoes from the Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre that was on the programme, Jason Milnes I think he's called. Also, footage was shot that made it look like Ray did the massive journeys with the re-enactors which he didn't. He burnt himself on his billy can, a greenhorn error apparently, on the American episode of his Bushcraft (should be called Skill Sets!) series, and there have been times when he does things that I think he aqcuainted himself with the technique five minutes before the camera rolled!

Don't get me wrong, the guy is human and makes errors just like the rest of us, but there is no way he is perfect and doesn't know it all. There are things he needs to learn too, although i have no idea what they are! Every day is a learning day, when it isn't life becomes dull.

If there was a fight, I think Bear would win. If it was a fight to survive, I think Bear would have killed himself in an accident first.
It's only TV. Ray was the one who inspired me to "Bushcraft" and I've even been on the Woodlore Fundimental course, but I've learned just as much from trying (and often failing) and from friends.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

They're both human, they will make mistakes, everybody does. The difference is that one encourages others to make stupid judgement calls while the other appears to be constantly interested in learning more from the world and it's peoples.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The title of this thread brings the most appalling images to mind - especially for anyone who knows the meaning of the term "slash fanfic"... (Don't google it if you don't already know!)
Thank heavens someone else got that from the title too :lmao:

I think to be perfectly honest that it shows incredible egotism on Bear's part that he considers himself RM's equal.

cheers,
Toddy

Appalling images?! Im disappointed meself. I thought I was in for a real treat clicking on this thread ;)

In his radio times interveiw; basicly, Bear came off looking better, and Ray worse, BUT What Ray said about Bear not making good programs is so so wrong... Ray makes good informative programmes about bushcraft BUT Bear makes realy good programmes, he goes and does mad stuff... which makes good tv but if it wasnt for Ray mears I think bushcraft would die out in 4 generations... It was endless reapeats of ray mears wild food that got me into buscraft...

But both of them are mediarised massiverly, Ray Mears has a Myspace or one of those things like that! It just a pic of him and a link to his shop but it makes him more human to people that hav myspaces, I would be suprised if he knew he has a MySpace... which is ment to be a personal thing...

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
In his radio times interveiw; basicly, Bear came off looking better, and Ray worse, BUT What Ray said about Bear not making good programs is so so wrong... Ray makes good informative programmes about bushcraft BUT Bear makes realy good programmes, he goes and does mad stuff... which makes good tv but if it wasnt for Ray mears I think bushcraft would die out in 4 generations... It was endless reapeats of ray mears wild food that got me into buscraft...

But both of them are mediarised massiverly, Ray Mears has a Myspace or one of those things like that! It just a pic of him and a link to his shop but it makes him more human to people that hav myspaces, I would be suprised if he knew he has a MySpace... which is ment to be a personal thing...

What bothers me about bears entertainment is that it is a high degree of animal cruelty. I dont believe in cruelty for the sake of it. In a survival situation we just have to know we can eat these animals, there is no need to watch a man inhumanely dispatching creatures with his bare hands (or teeth) especially as he isnt really having to survive. lets face it, a lot of people just turn on for the yuk factor and the cruelty factor, and jumping on the back of tiger sharks, ***? when does one have to do THAT to survive? Its just plain cruel.
bear can dress it up all he likes, its still lowest common denominator entertainment. I learnt from Ray I could drink the urin of shinglebacks, but I didnt have to watch him do it to know Id have to do it if I was in that situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE