Tentipi Problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Does the base of tipi flex slightly to absorb the wind ? If so it may rub the pegs hence the steel rings rather than traditionl web/guy loops.

If you walkaround a sailboat there is a vast rabge of 'connectors', for lack of a better word.

Howabout an S hook or fig 8 hook ?

I'll try to find pic

Nick

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I have had another look at the original picture of the broken rings and they appear to be of a darker metal than the rings on my tipi. I am just back from a wet and windy week in the south west of Ireland, gale force winds and torrential rain all week, but no sign of damage.

I am not a metalurgist but remember a little from metalwork at school about different metals having a reaction of some sort when they are put together. I'm sure the metal experts on here will confirm or shoot me down on this. Is it possible that the steel rings and the aluminium pegs had some sort of a reaction which weakened the rings.

Are you still using the original pegs or did you replace them when they eventually bent beyond repair ? I am interested in this myself because I will be replacing my pegs with something longer and stronger for the sodden ground that the tent will be up in for the rest of the year.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I am not a metalurgist but remember a little from metalwork at school about different metals having a reaction of some sort when they are put together. I'm sure the metal experts on here will confirm or shoot me down on this. Is it possible that the steel rings and the aluminium pegs had some sort of a reaction which weakened the rings.

Do you mean disimilar metals ? eg aluminium gives electrons away so you use an anode on an outboard engine as a sacrifical element.

Nick

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Why don't they just get rid of the rings altogether and just have webbing loops ?

Seems odd to have them in the first place. I don't own a tenttipi, I like the look of them, but they are v.expensive and wiff a little of knobs and whistles with their 'features' for me.

I have heard a few people complain about them now, is it 'cus there so expensive that you expect them never to break, I know I would, or is it 'cus there just not that well made?

Someone enlighten me......

:dunno:

You might then like to read my user review when I post it up then ;)

Sep 15, 2008
Camping in conditions that resulted in Force 6-7 with regular gusts to Force 8 for three days/nights saw the peg rings attached to the tension straps fail one by one over the three days.

Hi, I've experienced the same thing during a windy night on a cliff-top campsite in a canvas Varrie 9 - all 8 rings failed one after the other during the night.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I'm not exactly sure about the science but I'd say you are on the right track. Its possible that this caused the rings to fail.

Apologies to all if I have gone off topic.

In any engineering situation, especially in the outdoors environment, you must avoid disimilar metals adjoining. Although there are exceptions eg copper grease to allow parts to come apart.

Two great books to undestand materials in design situations are -

'The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor'
'Why Buildings Fall Down'

Both req'd reading for my degree 11 years ago.

Nick

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I'd never had thought that the rings would go first - I would have assumed a seam or webbing would go first! Fortunately the rings on my tipi seem are a brighter colour and haven't had any problem with them so far... I've been in pretty windy places with mine too with no problem.

I did hear that someone had their pole break, but I don't know the circumstances to find out how and why.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE