How can I stop cats doing there business in my garden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I used to have a super soaker type thing from America which consisted of a backpack part and a rather large plunger which would saturate everything when fired. I got rid of it years ago though when I outgrew all that stuff as a kid.

If all else fails, I suppose I can always throw a slipper at it like my dad used to.

Or get yourself down to woolies - they do a great line in fireman sam back mounted water pistols. Who said having kids was a chore - it's the only chance i get to actually act my age!!:D

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
some gamekeepers state that if a rope is soaked in creosote and stretched out then foxes will not cross this line, maybe it might work for cats too, otherwise electric wire like what they put round pheasant pens.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I heard this crazy idea of filling old pop bottles up with water and leaving them on your lawn. The bottles need to be the clear variety, not coloured in any way. Something to do with reflection? Supposedly, it works!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve not opened all the links above to check but you can buy an audible deterent which works on motion. It emits a high pitch squeal which only they can hear. If you don`t have cats of your oqn then this is definitely the route to go down. We had one here up a tree when we moved in, we didn`t notice it for ages until I uncovered the power cable when knocking the shed down.

Rich

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Definitely water pistol of the super soaker variety! We had a stray tom cat who kept coming into our house and spraying everywhere. Eventually my hubby got a massive water pistol, waited for the cat to come, blocked all exits and gave it a good soaking and chased it away. Hasn't been back since!
Failing that ask your neighbour who owns the cat to pay for something to keep it off your garden. When we realised our cats had pood in our neighbours veg patch (she never complained weirdly!) we bought her a devise from the DIY store to keep them off without tainting her veggies. Worked a treat, now they only poo where we want them to!

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I have two cats and I have developed a fool proof way of stopping them dumping in my garden.:thinkerg:

What you do is ‘no’ gardening as you’re too busy out in the woods. (Nature is so awesomely beautiful that gardens always seem a bit fake to me anyway.:dunno: )

The guy across the street who spends every Sunday of his preciously short, yet unimaginative life, cleaning his car and weeding his borders has the privilege of clearing up after all the local cats.;)

Cats are quite cleaver really! Why dig somewhere hard and stony when it’s less effort to slope over the road for a dump in the nicely tilled loam.

Seriously, when it comes to cats, don’t p**s about with water pistols, they respect only superior force. :AR15firin
Get a bucket of water and use that, even if you miss they have enough nous to get that being hit would be no fun and not come around again.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
LOL, I'm sat here reading all the recomendations to get a super soaker water pistol and thinking of one of my cats.

If you tried spraying him with one of those he'd love it and think you wanted to play with him. He's the only cat I know what actually WANTS to chase water so whenever the hosepipe comes out he's there waiting for his turn with it :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
A lot of mention about water, because cats hate it (other than Mesquite's cat).. The thing is most cats are more active at night and while you are tucked up in bed and dreaming about soaking that damn cat from up the road, that damn cat from up the road is crapping in your garden.. I have tried hard over the years to rid the garden of cats. I cut a roll of chicken wire in half and put that on top of the six foot panels around the garden. It didn't work... I spent £40 on a ultrasonic blaster... It didn't work.
I once set up a load of traps.. I could see where the cats were getting in by all the claw marks on the fence, so I set up some planks that were balanced and a bucket of water below... I was lying in bed that night when I heard a big clatter and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... How I chuckled.....:lmao: It never stopped them comming in though.. Once they are used to using an area as a toilet, it is very hard to stop them.. I did have some success once with some small brown balls that were soaked in citronella (sorry, can't remember the name of the stuff). The smell was nice and lasted a few weeks and stopped the cats pooing in that area. Thing is they went elsewhere in the garden, you can't keep spending out on deterrants all the time..

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Air arms s410 done the trick for me:D

Bernie

Not only is this suggestion incredibly cruel but it is also illegal, I hope you are joking Bernie but try to remember someone viewing from outside might not see the funny side.

If you guys can't talk about these thing sensibly then good advice is lost and threads are locked.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not only is this suggestion incredibly cruel but it is also illegal, I hope you are joking Bernie but try to remember someone viewing from outside might not see the funny side.

If you guys can't talk about these thing sensibly then good advice is lost and threads are locked.

I'll not mention napalm and aerial bombardments from the RA then!

:eek:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I love the tiger poo one! You can buy it from the zoo for this purpose. I mean you can just see the advert now

"tired of cats pooing on the lawn? scare them off by smearing the whole thing with TIGER TURDS! they are bigger and smell more than the original problem you had! A huge deterrent to house cats everywhere!"

AHHHHahahhahahah Just spat coke all over me keyboard ya monkey !!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
On a serious note, the guys who suggested 'super soakers' are not a million miles from the ideal. Cats don't like Lemon, so stick a little bit of Jif lemon in the water in your super soaker and spray the borders of your property. Hopefully, one of your feline interlopers may show their face while your doing it. Watch the arrogance literally drain away as you liberally dose them with your Jif Lemon mix. It's like Vampires and holy water, they will do ANYTHING to get away, quicker than a toilet stop in Rattlesnake country and believe me, they will not come back. It works for your car as well; drop some in your shampoo when washing it and you'll never find one curled up asleep on your roof.:D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Frankly I am surprised that your local cats like to leave turds on your lawn. I am also surprised that they curl them. All the cats that I have ever met, or have had crap in the garden, have been very particular about where they do the deed. Flower beds with nice soft easy to rake soil, preferably with some privacy. As far as I know, cats do not use their feacal matter as a marker in the same way as dogs, hence cats going to the trouble of burying. All the turds I have ever found on lawns have been the work of foxes, which DO use them as territorial markers, do like to leave them in prominent positions, preferably on top of something slightly elevated, and do lay them in curls.

My neighbour was just complaining about a "cat" turd on his lawn that was the colour and consistency of mud. I asked if he was sure that it wasn't a fox that had been feeding on earth worms. He didn't think we had foxes around town locally, but I have seen, smelled and heard them on our street.

Just a thought.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Chris... Many cats use lawns, especially if the grass is a bit long.. Having worked in many peoples gardens I have seen all the places that cats use... They love sharp sand, if I was to leave a pile of sand uncovered the cats would be straight into it over night. I have even had cats pooing on the tarp I put over the sand. I went to look at a job once and was chatting to the customer in the garden while their cat was crapping in a flower pot right next to us... I got the job and had to move the pot.. It was full of poo, and I mean full. The cat just turned over the old poo to do a new one..Then the cat would go indoors and jump up onto a kitchen table..:yuck: I even found a flat roof once that cats were using...

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Not only is this suggestion incredibly cruel but it is also illegal

Whilst i agree that this is a cruel suggestion i have to point out that you are wrong that it is illegal to shoot a cat with an air rifle in your garden . There are certain fire arm laws that come into play here and as long as they are conformed too , its legal !
Im not trying to cause an argument , just speaking from experiance from when my mums cat was shot by the guy next door for pinching his koi . According to the police a cat isnt classed as a domestic animal . so its completely different to if he had shot a dog for example . He had every right to shoot his air rifle in his garden as long as he was not pointing in the direction of a public footpath that was closer than 50 yds from the boundry of his garden and the pellets remained within the boundry of said garden . There was no legal action that we could take other than calling the rspca . So we had a rather large vet bill to remove the pellet !!!

Pumbaa

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Any pee with male pheromone in should keep cats from feeling comfy enough to poo. So if you're old enough to have dirty thoughts and young enough to have functioning prostrate you can make your own cat deterrent. Spraying the actual cat should permanently keep that cat out of your garden

I use gorse as a leaf mulch where I have bare soil. I did feel a little guilty seeing several feral cats limping, but considering I have seen active tapeworm in their faeces I don't feel too bad about protecting my household. Gorse can also be used as a soft punjab sticks by placing them upright, this doesn't injury the cat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE