Nettle cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Hi all! I had my 2nd attempt at nettle cordage yesterday, after seperating fibres, drying them and then soaking them for an hour, i starting to make cordage using the thigh rolling method. When completed i had about 5 ft of cordage and decided to test its strength, i estimate it to be around 5lb breaking strain (fishing knowledge lead me to believe this) so i wasn't too impressed. Is this about right, if so is nettle cordage reserved for hangin pots ect? Also does completed nettle cordage return to a stiff state once its been completed. Would u have to hydrate it regular to keep it in use?

Next time i try i'll get some pics up of the completed cordage.

Thanks guys

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
5 lb? That doesn't sound right! I made a two ply strand a few years back and it cut into my hands when I tried to break it. The more strands you use the stronger it will obviously become. Not sure about wetting it again, maybe a way of keeping it supple would be to oil or wax it? No idea to be truthful, but would be interested to find out.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
I may venture out witht he dog again tonight then and if i come across some more decent nettles i'll knock up some more cord, photograph it and put the pics up, maybe im doing something wrong :)

C

craigsalter

The red stemmed nettles are a lot stronger than the green stemmed ones in my experience (which isn't great I admit)

Was the 5lb cord made with the red stems? Also try doing the joins by hand instead of thigh rolling them. I have real trouble with making the thigh rolling consistant, I do the joins by hand to ensure they work at their best.

I hope this pitifully small amount of experience goes someway towards helping you :)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The nettle fibres are very strong, once fibres are dry make your cordage and keep it dry. After that wax or soak in Linseed oil/turps and air dry, if you want to protect it a bit from the damp or use.
The first time I tryed making nettle cord was around this time of the year with older stems and they worked well, but were a bit tough in the node area, but a crush with the back of a knife handle did the trick.

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
If you want stronger cord just double the first cord. And if that still isn't strong enough double again.

And how did your cord fail? Did it break or come apart?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi all! I had my 2nd attempt at nettle cordage yesterday, after seperating fibres, drying them and then soaking them for an hour, i starting to make cordage using the thigh rolling method. When completed i had about 5 ft of cordage and decided to test its strength, i estimate it to be around 5lb breaking strain (fishing knowledge lead me to believe this) so i wasn't too impressed. Is this about right, if so is nettle cordage reserved for hangin pots ect? Also does completed nettle cordage return to a stiff state once its been completed. Would u have to hydrate it regular to keep it in use?

Next time i try i'll get some pics up of the completed cordage.

Thanks guys
If your cord is that weak, it would suggest that the thigh rolling method? is just rolling the strands round each other rather than twisting them together, meaning that one strand is just wrapped over the other, a very weak cord indeed. Try the twisting with the hands method. it's harder on the fingers, until you get used to it, but I feel makes a better cordage

this method works as well with nettles watch from about 4 minutes on for the actually making of cordage

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
A decent overlap helps strength when your making the cord.

I use the thigh rolling method, with the nettle fibres soaked in spit after i run them through my mouth. Sounds grim but it works for me. In total i use 4 strands to make one long cord, which is then doubled over. Its bloody strong stuff and i've not managed to break it yet! I'll get some pix uploaded of what i've made so far. I have a prehistoric fishing set that i've put together over the past few months, learning most of the techniques from scratch. I made a 50m handline, so, as you can guess, i got the knack of it :)

Practice is the best thing. I drive my missus mad when it comes to nettles. Everywhere we go i find them and start making cordage.

Andy >>>>>------------------------------------<>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE