Day Jobs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Im pulled in different directions to! I work as a support worker for the national autistic society, though im only part time now. will be taking masters in art therapy in september if i can somehow scrape the money together. But hat I aspire to do, and indeed make an attempt at everyday is to be a freelance artist.

Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
Im pulled in different directions to! I work as a support worker for the national autistic society, though im only part time now. will be taking masters in art therapy in september if i can somehow scrape the money together. But hat I aspire to do, and indeed make an attempt at everyday is to be a freelance artist.

Had a Look at some of your work,great job,you're very talented .

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
As I seem to be in a posting mood !!

I'm a director of a small environmental consultancy rather pompously named Applied ecological value and risk management Ltd, but I also teach part time and run an MSc in Ecological Impact Assessment, as well as teaching undergraduate statistics, animal behaviour and wildlife conservation.

I'm primarily interested in using quantitative methods in making scientifically robust decisions about ecological impacts from development and have co-authored a couple of books on ecological statistics.

But I was a professional photographer for 14 years before going to university as a mature student. During that period, I was doing the usual round of voluntary work at nature reserves: from digging ponds to giving guided walks etc. plus a range of ecological survey projects. With the plan to get a nature reserve warden type job where I could live and work somewhere that would allow me to spend a lot of time on my photography. But it became obvious I would need a biology degree to get into that sort of job, hence the mature student move.

In fact I now spend all my time (60 - 80+hour weeks), in meetings, in a classroom or in front of a computer, from where I can occasionally escape into this forum. On even rarer occasions I escape into the great outdoors. And I never take photographs, other than a quick snap now and again.

So not a lot can be said my career planning capability!!!

Graham

P.S. and yes I do give career advice to my students :)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Time served electrician by trade, but damaged my knees so re trained as a science teacher.
For the last three years have worked in a childrens home, as a science teacher, working with young people with severe emotional and behavioural difficulties.
On Tuesday tho, (new school year) I start my new job in a mainstream school as behaviour support center manager - working with young people from the school who are excluded for a short while or are at risk of being excluded.

Between working full time I have also served with the TA, been a Scout Leader (recently got involved again after 10 years or so out) and take an active role in D of E in all the schools I've worked in.

Simon

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
On Tuesday tho, (new school year) I start my new job in a mainstream school as behaviour support cente manager - working with young people from the school who are excluded for a short while or are at risk of being excluded.

Good luck with this, it sounds a challenging, worthwhile thing to be doing, which I am sure will be valuable to the people you are helping.

Graham

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
I'm a Butcher . Got into it more or less by accident. Despite some forrays into other things always seem to end up back in it.

Now starting to seriously try and find something different, more stimulating or challenging. Where I am now is about as good as this game gets. Don't fancy just marking time for too many more years.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm a research nurse for cancer research:uk, early trials of new drugs for cancers, esp melanoma at present.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I work for a large US outsourcing company - well, I did but we have just been aquired by HP so I guess I ultimately work for them now.

Just in the cusp of changing roles currently; I'm a service delivery animal at heart. I ran teams that deployed the computer testing environments for the UK Gov DWP but I am moving into Lean Six Sigma consultancy from 1st September.

In a nutshell, I get stuff done - only now I get it done more efficiently and cheaper and with higher quality than I did before! :-D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I'm a blacksmith.

I do mostly historical reproductions of original iron/steel work - from most time periods since iron was first used - with occasional forays into early Copper Culture work. I've got examples of my work on display or being used at places like the National Museum of the American Indian, Grand Portage National Monument, The Museum of the West, Fort Mandan, the Jamestown/Yorktown Volunteers Association, the Madison Historical Museum and Arboretum, the Museum of Welsh Life, the Viking Age Club of Minnesota, several Roman Legion units, and a number of small parks and historical sites. But most of what I make is for individuals interested in properly researched items to fit into specific time periods and regions.

I used to work for a small college writing their computer programs - for several decades. But 7 years ago I told them where to go and left. I get more personal satisfaction, and appreciation for my work now, than I did before. But, as you see, I went from one extreme to the other in ... technology. But I also had to get away from that college and their bad decision to buy a whole-college computer program/package - which leaped decades backwards in this modern computing world (the new package still uses a bad form of C and old Cobol to try to "put a dinosaur in coat/tails and teach it to tap dance"). They shoveled millions of $ into that money-pit, but wouldn't even pay an experienced computer programmer more than 30K a year. (They're now offering 35K, but no good takers.)

Life is much much less stressful now. I'm usually close to broke, but now I can laugh at it. And I only work a few hours a week - when I want to. That keeps the "wolves from the door", and keeps me in food and beverages. Anything past that is ... gravy! So life is good.

So I'm a blacksmith.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. NO, I do NOT shoe horses!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I get more personal satisfaction, and appreciation for my work now,

I appreciate you every time I light a fire Mike:You_Rock_ . Watching the sparks dance off your steel never grows old, in fact I've just bought another from your Ebay store:D ! Please keep up the fine work!

Simon

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Aparently I'm "Dole Blaggin' Scum" :240: .

Going to college, as an imature mature student, in just over 2 weeks time to study Countryside Management and Conservation. It's only taken 15 years and countless jobs to find out what I want to do with my life and yet this is the scariest thing I've ever done!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I work for a regional newspaper at the moment in the newspaper sales department in the data admin team. My major role is copy allocation to retailers of the newspapers which includes managing returns and availability through this. I do a bit of data analysis also. BUT, with the down turn in the economy and the fact that the advertising has dried up AND the powers that be deciding to cull 65 editorial staff last week, and my department which is probably looking at re-structure, i might be looking for something else real soon, so, any admin jobs in B'ham city centre would greatly be appreciated.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I work for a regional newspaper at the moment in the newspaper sales department in the data admin team. My major role is copy allocation to retailers of the newspapers which includes managing returns and availability through this. I do a bit of data analysis also. BUT, with the down turn in the economy and the fact that the advertising has dried up AND the powers that be deciding to cull 65 editorial staff last week, and my department which is probably looking at re-structure, i might be looking for something else real soon, so, any admin jobs in B'ham city centre would greatly be appreciated.:nutkick:

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I'm an electrician by trade but now work as a maintenance manager in a hotel. I now get to have all my weekends off which means I can get out pretty much as often as I like but not as often as I would like if you know what I mean...... Brownie points must be built up...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE