Knife Scratches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Having spent a few quid on new knife recently, I thought I'd treat it/me to a set of Japanese water stones which I'm getting on very well with.

However, I have a couple of times pushed the bevel off the end of the stone and put a couple of scratches on the blade which I want to remove. The scratches run from the bevel to the spine, against the flow of the grain in the steel. I'm not looking for a mirror finish, just to reconstitute the grain.

Can someone tell me please, which, if any of these I need to buy and how to apply it?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Polishing-and-Linishing-Compounds-207985.htm

(I did search but didn't really find a satisfactory answer)

Thanks

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
just get some decent wet and dry paper from an auto shop and runb it along the length of the blade with the " grain". The grade paper you buy depends on the depth of the scratches, for a really good finish go one grade higher than you want and then drop back down a grade.

for example, for a really bad scratch go from 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, making sure that all the scratches from the previous stage are removed before going on to the next grade. Then after 1200, go back down to 1000 fior a really nice 1000 grit finish

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I did try 600 grade wet and dry but it was still too course, and I don't seem to able to find a finer grade in the usual shops, or even on google, hence the question about buffing compounds.

Can you recommend a supplier please?

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Thanks for the replies and links. Will try toothpaste first and if no joy will order some finer wet and dry.

Can't do pics at the moment as I haven't got the camera lead. The scratches aren't particularly deep, they're just there annoying me!

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Contact Jedadiah here or over on BB. He has micromesh which is bl**dy brilliant for polishing out scratches and last for ages. Basically it's a variety of grades of washable wet'n'dry type material, down to very fine indeed!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Contact Jedadiah here or over on BB. He has micromesh which is bl**dy brilliant for polishing out scratches and last for ages. Basically it's a variety of grades of washable wet'n'dry type material, down to very fine indeed!

Micromesh comes in grades 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 for the standard stuff which will work on plastic, glass, ceramic, composites, grp, brass, copper, aluminium, steel, wood, bone, antler, Micarta, Tufnol, infact most things. There is also steel specific grades at 400MX, 800MX and 1200MX but i use these after going through the standard grades, just to finish. NatG's suggestion in post#2 is right, use the coarse wet and dry to get a uniformed scratched surface, then use progressively finer grit grades. If you use up to 500 / 600 grade then thats when the Micromesh takes over. I've put a link up to a bushie i recently did over on BB. The scales are stabilized and both the scales and blade were finished to 6000 grit. I must admit to not taking too much time over it, but, with a little time and effort, your work can bear fruit with this stuff.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62380

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Thanks for the replies. Got some 800, 1200 and 1500 grit w&d today from Halfords but will try the tooth paste first.

Will post my result (won't be 'till next week)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE