Just a wasp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Could be Chalybius sp., a Sphecid wasp, but my knowledge of east European wasps is not good. This particularly species is known as one of the mud-daubers. There 'constructions' are similar to the well known potter wasps or Eumenidae.

Hope that helps.

Scrubbity

Cheers for that scrubcutter...

Managed to catch a better image today...

potter_wasp.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats an impressive looking wasp Sandbender...

Got a challenge for you guys with the decent macro lenses...
There seems to be a lot of horseflies around at the mo. They have amazing eyes (as well as a bite). I would love to see a decent shot of a close up of the eyes...

I managed this shot as it was starting to drill into my thumb, but I bet you guys could get a way better shot than me...

4abb0d28.jpg

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Thats an impressive looking wasp Sandbender...

Got a challenge for you guys with the decent macro lenses...
There seems to be a lot of horseflies around at the mo. They have amazing eyes (as well as a bite). I would love to see a decent shot of a close up of the eyes...

I managed this shot as it was starting to drill into my thumb, but I bet you guys could get a way better shot than me...

Hi JonnyP

I posted these in another thread but haven't figured out how to link between threads yet so here they are again (sorry for the repetition people)

Like the one eyed trouser sna.. I mean hoverfly Red.
If you fancy it and are ever over this way come and see how the cabins are put together (or aren't at the moment as my yard is sea of mud).

Looks like a flesh fly to me Mungo

cleg6.jpg

hfly.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Those are stonking photos,

I'll take you up on your offer when property takes a bit more of a tumble and we move a tad closer :)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Oh yeah, thats what I am talking Staghound... Nice shots....:You_Rock_
Apparently the females (the ones that bite) have a gap between their eyes (like on your photo's) while most of the males have eyes that meet...

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
Some more beasties from this afternoon.

A pill millipede, possibly Glomeris marginata

pillmill.jpg

A couple of shots of ringlet butterflies, does anyone recognise the plant they're feeding on? Is it valerian?

GK1.jpg

GK2.jpg

Grasshopper or cricket?

ghop4.jpg

A spiny fly, possibly a dung fly (scatophaga sp.)

fly.jpg

Lastly, I posted one of these before but thought I'd add one with a scale to show how 'giant' a giant ichnuemon really is.

GImeasure2.jpg

Steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a quick one to "keep my end up" of a spotted burnet (six spot I think) feeding - glorious things and there are just stacks of them around at the moment

2693346348_22ef717ffe_o.jpg

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
This thread's been a bit quiet recently. Can't be having that, so here are a few more creepy-crawlies from today.

I think this is a white-tailed bumblebee (Bombus lucorum) on common hemp nettle (Galeopsis tetrahit) but I could be wrong.

WTbee.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this is (Rhagonycha fulva) a common soldier beetle.

Rhagonychafulva.jpg

Another hover fly (Syrphus sp.)

hoverfly.jpg

Feel free to correct any id's

Steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Been very remiss lately - the garden has my attention - thats a lovely shot there Staghound - I'll do some catching up soon!

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I wasn't going to add to this thread (my shots really aren't as good as all the others) but I was talked into adding this one from the moot...

BM0810.jpg

Taken with a point and shoot digi cam thingy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great thread guys - can`t believe this one slipped under the radar

I stumbled across it last night but thought I`d wait until I got into work this morning to read it so I could see the pictures on my 24" monitor.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE