Photographs from the Bushmoot 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Possibly Sargey taking pictures.
Thanks leon-1, I think your right.

I think they used it to test how sharp their flint knives were by shaving it or something.
Thanks Wayland, all makes perfect sense now. At one point it was sat looking at me whilst I was working my flint, it had its tongue sticking out! Probably thinking you'll never shave me with that! Anyone get a snap of that beast?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
These pics of the Moot are a bit delayed as I only got my internet back the other day. I took a few more than these but some weren't really suitable for the site (too boring, not relevant etc.)
Some of them are coming up massive. I've tried re-sizing them several times to 640x480 but some just won't do it, I don't know why. Many apologies.

DSCF0527.jpg

This is Twoflower using his rain-summoning bow. Every time we got this thing out it started raining within 5 minutes of setting up :rolleyes:

DSCF0546.jpg

Doctor 'Sandsnakes' Rod. If this man can't get rid of your hangover then you're probably dead. He writes a good book too :)

DSCF0548.jpg

Wayland telling the Naughty Corner a story round the fire. Can't for the life of me remember what it was about :eek:

DSCF0541.jpg

My genius (ahem) method of suspending a can over the fire.
Don't do this - I really didn't think it through :D :rolleyes:

DSCF0539.jpg

The obligatory shot taken with the camera at arms length while sitting around waiting for a pot to boil.

DSCF0545.jpg

Marsh Samphire :)
I can't get enough of this stuff - I was having a portion of it with every meal for 2 days. There's fields of it growing around the site.

DSCF0536.jpg

Common lizard seen basking during a walk across the dunes. I think it's a juvenile as it was the right time of year and this particular one was very small, about the size of my thumb.
First one I've seen in the wild so that was a nice moment for me :)

I thought I had more photo's worth showing but obviously not. Oh well, there's always next year!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Great photos there! I love the stagg chili balancing act! Maybe it would be safter if you just opening it a small crack and bent the ring pull up?

Im jealous of the lizard, i spent ages looking for adders. Ive never seen a snake in the UK and I knew the dunes were a great location for reptiles.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Great photos there! I love the stagg chili balancing act! Maybe it would be safter if you just opening it a small crack and bent the ring pull up?

Im jealous of the lizard, i spent ages looking for adders. Ive never seen a snake in the UK and I knew the dunes were a great location for reptiles.

Cooking in a tin can requires constant stirring, that's why it didn't work. A solid burnt lump at the bottom and cold watery mess at the top does not constitute a satisfying meal.

We saw two of those lizards in the space of 5 minutes, purely by chance. Afterward I was looking for sign of grass snakes by the stream that runs along the far end of the site but couldn't see any. I'm happy enough with my lizard moment though :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i did wonder about Will's dog. Pity really as I couldn't bring mine (no dog policy apparently).

shame, If he had come with me at least I know that Saxen wouldn't go hungry if I came a meal short :bandit:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was going to ask "why shave it's natural coat off, and then give it a man-made one?" and then I read the thing on Wikipedia that said they're born hairless. Doh!

Yes they were bred hairless by the chinese who used them to put their bare feet on in bed, thus keeping the toes warm in the cold night. Genius!

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I've finally got round to sorting out my moot photos, so here they are.

Switch starting how he means to go on
BM0801.jpg

Switch and the good Captain
BM0802.jpg

The Dunes
BM0803.jpg

I was trying to take a serious shot of me in the dunes :rolleyes:
BM0804.jpg

Switch collecting his dinner, marsh samphire
BM0805.jpg

Look at all the free food!!!
BM0806.jpg

The little lizard
BM0807.jpg

Not as good as the shots that were taken at 4:30am but I had plenty of sleep
BM0808.jpg

Sandsnakes preparing a light snack
BM0809.jpg

Pretty little fella
BM0810.jpg

First fire by friction! (sorry, I forgot who this is)
BM0811.jpg

Switch looking like he knows how to handle a bow
BM0812.jpg

Standard Camp shot Before...
BM0813.jpg

...and after
BM0814.jpg

And finally, we think this all translates to something like "I like to have a few strong ones then go race"
BM0815.jpg

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
And to add to the overall scariness, I've just realised that's on the back of a lorry....
:eek:
How were you guys eating the marsh samphire? My family tried some years ago and found it really strongly flavoured. Lovely set of memories you've photographed there!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
And to add to the overall scariness, I've just realised that's on the back of a lorry....
:eek:
How were you guys eating the marsh samphire? My family tried some years ago and found it really strongly flavoured. Lovely set of memories you've photographed there!

Just washed then boiled in a little water; no salt or butter. I prefer it without anything added, it's one of the few wild foods with a good strong taste of it's own.

BTW Twoflower, sorry I ruined your picture :p The look on your face was classic when you turned the camera round to see what you'd captured :lmao:

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants

As Switch said, just boiled in water as it has a lovely flavour to it. I'm not sure I want to add any more salt to it but wouldn't mind trying it with unsalted butter.

BTW Twoflower, sorry I ruined your picture :p The look on your face was classic when you turned the camera round to see what you'd captured :lmao:

Glad I could amuse you :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE