Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Its a prototype. The wood was unfinished and came from a very humid area to a very dry one, ie Golden in February...so cold all the moisture is frozen from the air. The scales shrank rather badly after they left the maker, that is part of why we are going with stabalised wood. Micarta was considered, but it was thought that most people interested in bushcraft would prefer wood of some sort.

As a point of interest, the cocobolo scales on the original prototype that we sent Sal hardly shrank at all, despite staying for over a year in the Colorado climate.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ah ok :240: :bluThinki We eh ,sorry chris i didnt know you was involved in it no wonder you got tetchy about the woodlore clone bit , :sad6: ;) Micarta would be good more fitting with a spyderco product, best of luck..

Did Ray Mears invent the spearpoint knife balde shape? No? then how can any knife shaped like that be a clone? I think people are getting fixated on NOT having anything to do with Mr Mears in case they seem to be a "Mini Mears" or else they think that by not having an origional Woodlore they will look like cheap skates. Has a woodlore knife become a designer label? It would be like me saying I was going to design a shovel. Does every other shovel that looks remotely like mine make it a clone? If Ray could have patented his knife shape, he probably would have, but as it's not an origional design, he probably couldn't copyright it.The blade shape works, but I would definately lose the hole in the Spyderco blade. Imagine cleaning out a fish with that hole there, then putting it back in a leather sheath...........that would stink in an hour or two.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Nope but how many knives that look like the woodlore knife were about before Ray brought his full tang scandi design out? not many buddy. Not knocking the design its tried and tested, i just thought Spyderco would have had something spydie thats all :sulkoff: :rolleyes: ;)

I wouldn't have a clue how many types there were before Ray launched his Woodlore knife, but then again as long as there was one, that would make Ray's knife the clone? Ray Mears popularised "Bushcraft" in the UK, but I don't think he invented it. We could spend all evening picking holes in each other's agruments, but I'm not that type of person. The knife shape is a very good one, regardless who makes it. Lots of manufacturers make claw hammers, and they are all the same shape, but we don't call them "Stanley" clones, do we?

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Nope but how many knives that look like the woodlore knife were about before Ray brought his full tang scandi design out? not many buddy. Not knocking the design its tried and tested, i just thought Spyderco would have had something spydie thats all :sulkoff: :rolleyes: ;)

I feel that it is starange that you automatically expect a spyderco bushcraft knife to fall in line with a spyderco tactical folding knife. They already have a range of syderco styled outdoors knives, with kydex sheaths and micarta handles. I think it is proof of the spyderco team's commitment to designing a good knife that they are willing to focus simply on what they think makes a good knife rather than what people expect from them. This product is something new for spyderco and it looks to me like they have looked at what is on the market, came up with their own design and tried as hard as they can to make a good knife in a "bushcraft" style.

i really don't see what's not to like?

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hmmmm,
Not really sure what to think. I followed the thread on BB about the development of the Spydie Bushie, but didn't think that this would be the result. I find most Spydies to be visually agressive or purposefull, but for me, this example has a big UK/European Bushcraft influence rather than US Survival - I cant shake the stereotype sorry.
Ogri the trog

I believe that this is the entire point, given that the UK Government, CPS, Police Forces and media are enaged in a knee jerk reaction against knives, rather than addressing the relatively low criminal use of knives.

I in no way mean this as critisism, simply as my understanding as to the proposed purpose of the tool defining its appearence.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
So much about knives can be down to taste don't you think...? I've no wish to denigrate spyderco knives...they're clearly very popular and highly regarded but without disrespect to those who buy them, they would never be on my list. On this one, the alignment of the pins doesn't appeal to me, I don't like the blade hole and I don't like the downward slope at the butt of the knife. I'm afraid you may feel my tastes are boring but my preferences are for some of the Bison models, the F1 and maybe the Woodlore, though I doubt I'll ever own one. At the end of any debate on the relative technical merits of a knife, the question of choice can often be subjective and how a knife feels to the user...:)

Can't beat a good old knife debate to get the juices flowing, eh..? Off for a cold shower now..:soapbox: :lmao: :lmao:

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
My two pence worth ;)

If the hole is going to stay, as it probaly will - being a Spydie trademark, so as has been said then move it so it can be used.

When this goes into mass production will good fitting quality wood scales be hard to achieve or is a Micarta type material going to be more achieveable.

As I said my 2p's worth............I await incoming :p

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

I rather like it. I had my doubts about this project 2 years ago, but for the opposite reasons. Spyderco make tactical knives. Knives for a essentially a martial purpose, predominantly paramilitary, tactical folders. The design and materials that they use, sophisticated steel alloys and synthetics, reflect that purpose perfectly. But could they produce a bushcraft knife, which is essentially a benign purpose. I had my doubts. A "tactical" bushcraft knife would of been a classless embarrassment IMO and I was cringing at the thought of it. I think spyderco should be applauded for breaking their mold in producing this. Yes, it's essentially a westernized scandi and we see plenty, but they dont see plenty in America and I cant think of a major commercial manufacturer making one anywhere. The profile looks good and it's enough of a departure from the woodies as to definitely not be a "clone" ...unless you call every full tang scandi a woodlore clone. I handled a prototype a couple of years back made by Chris and that was an absolute beauty and very non-woodlore, although that was a convex grind.

I also think the hole is a good idea, though I cant be sure of the size in the picture, I think maybe it could benefit from being larger, around 1/2" dia, then it could be used for sizing/shaving/straightening arrow shafts, striking firesteels and wotnot and not just a trademark.

I agree the choil could be smaller though, even a couple of mm would help.

The ill-fitting scales are irrelevant ...it's a prototype. If they are ill-fitting on the production versions, then that would be the time to make issue.

Anyone know what steel they are planning on using?

Good job Spyderco. :)

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I also think the hole is a good idea, though I cant be sure of the size in the picture, I think maybe it could benefit from being larger, around 1/2" dia, then it could be used for sizing/shaving/straightening arrow shafts, striking firesteels and wotnot and not just a trademark.

I agree the choil could be smaller though, even a couple of mm would help.

The ill-fitting scales are irrelevant ...it's a prototype. If they are ill-fitting on the production versions, then that would be the time to make issue.

Making the hole functional is a bloody good idea after all it will be a bushcraft tool :cool: there are some knives out there that have the metal of the tang showing a mm or so around the scale so i was just asking as i was interested, I make you right about the need for a good mass produced knife and its good to dabate its prototype amongst people who can see the good and bad points i wish spyderco every bit of luck with it, micarta scales sound like a compromise and would probably lend its self more to mass production, look forward to seeing what the final outcome is :naughty:

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Im really new to this hobby and personally find it really hard to choose an upgrade from my Frosts Clipper. Call me a sado but I would absolutely love a copy of a Woodlore as I cant afford an original.
I know very little about knives and their construction so I limit myself to buying mass produced brands im familiar with (eg Fallkniven) and after having a quick scout about the web I dont see much in the £80 - £100 bracket that I would buy.

So, I guess from a novice' perspective this Spyderco would be ideal, gets my approval for sure.

When will it be available to order? Any more news on the actual price, really hope it stays under £100.

Regards, Jon.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Don't think it will be under 100£, but i sure hope so. It will probable be manufactured in some ultra fancy steel like the crucible steels. It doesn't has to be that fancy for me. A fine grained steel like O1, A2 or another tool steel would suffice for me. Looks like claycomb's prototype is carbon.

Michiel

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Don't think it will be under 100£, but i sure hope so.

As has already been stated in this thread only Sal can comment on the price, a figure from anyone else is nothing more than a guess.

It will probable be manufactured in some ultra fancy steel like the crucible steels. It doesn't has to be that fancy for me. A fine grained steel like O1, A2 or another tool steel would suffice for me. Looks like claycomb's prototype is carbon.

Michiel

Its going to be O1.

See post 2 of this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564623

Personally I quite like it, I am glad they went for 3mm as the blade thickness is my main problem with the woodlore. My only niggle is there not being a smooth curve over the spine and top of the handle, I would like to see that.

I think the price will be the decider for me, it would be nice if it was cheap enough that you wouldn't be scared of modding it then people could strip the scales off and put what ever they wanted on there.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I think the price will be the decider for me, it would be nice if it was cheap enough that you wouldn't be scared of modding it then people could strip the scales off and put what ever they wanted on there.

I think this is a very valid point! - in fact if sal sold the blades as blanks I think loads would buy them for that reason alone;)

I like it - I do think the spydie hole looks a little odd - i think it is just too small, it kinda looks out of proportion / almost accidental at the moment but as it is just a prototype things like this will probably be ironed out anyway

I for one am looking forward to production:)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If they sell this in a variety of steels and as a blank it may have the chance to be THE number one bushcraft blade in the UK.

I really like the shape and although I'm getting happier with 01 if it were CPM3V or RWL34 it would be a belter, but's that's just me dreaming.

I'd be thrilled to get my mitts on one of these - especially as a blank blade.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
I know some people here helped in the design considerations of this knife offering so please excuse me in advance but I thought it unusual that they chose the blade pattern they did for their prototype especially with some of their folders already looking like ideal candidates for fixed blade scandis. Look at the Endura especially ... the style and grind of this blade, except for the thumb ramp and the hump in front of the pivot, would be an ideal scandi design. The sabre grind could be very readily replaced with a scandi, but having done enough woodcraft with it I have found it really wouldn't need to be changed since it removes wood very easily. I also like the 01 steel but am also surprised they didn't try to come up with something in their spectacular VG10 at least.

Alright, enough ranting for now,

NJ

(s'pose I could run up to Spyderco and talk to them about it as I live about 10-15 minutes away, LOL. BTW, anybody needs help with a purchase from them let me know. I don't work for them but would enjoy helping you guys if I can ...)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
When the project first kicked off Sal was talking of 52100 bearing steel, but apart from manufacturing problems, there were huge logistical problems getting this in sheet stock from the source in Europe to the manufacturer in Taiwan. When we looked at manufacturer's prototypes back in February, one was done in D2 and two in O-1. I was a little dubious about the D2 and although Charles May, and a few other custom makers have been turning out Scandi ground knives in D2, CPM 3V, S30V and the like, I found the D2 too difficult to sharpen in this style.

This knife was meant for bushcrafters, not knife junkies. Users rather than collectors. While a lot of bushcraft enthusiasts are also very keen on knives and can quote blade steels with the best, there are quite a lot who really don't care as long as it works and can be sharpened. I would have been very happy to see A2 used, but I believe there were some issues with availability. O-1 does work and its only disadvantage is that it will rust, but that hasn't stopped loads of people carrying it.

While we in Britain see O-1 as rather ho-hum ordinary, it is not so in the US where it is not nearly so prominent in the hand made market, possible as a result of the ready availability of many other cutlery steels.

When we started talking to Sal about the bushcraft knife project we were just intending to offer advice and to be a clearing house for information on what people here liked and what they wanted in a knife. Reading the discussions on the various dedicated knife forums we quickly became concerned that Sal would be led down the route of a semi-tactical knife, or to something much bigger than most folk here would want. Again, the people posting advice were knife enthusiasts and the pure bushcrafters were rather under represented :D.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
there are quite a lot who really don't care as long as it works and can be sharpened.
QUOTE]

The silent majority.:approve:
It looks a very useable knife, good blade size, grind and thickness. The curve on the rear end may not be aesthetically pleasing, but from experience, would be comfortable for prolonged use. It reminds me of the Alan blade 'packpal' which has a very good reputation as a user.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE