Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sal has given the OK for some photos to go up of the new Spyderco Bushcraft knife. This is something that has been in the pipeline for some time now. The Spyderco part was sparked off by UK Ken back in 2006, but we had been looking at the possibilities of a BCUK knife before then.

While the BCUK project went on hold, Sal at Spyderco pressed ahead with a collaboration based on one of our designs. A manufacturer has been found and as those that attended the Spyderco Meet in Leeds last February will know, some prototypes were produced. At present an updated prototype is being worked on which will incorporate some of the suggestions made following post Leeds testing.

Basic design is to be 1/8th stock, parallel skeleton tang, and stabalised wood handle.

SpyderFeathers.jpg

For other pictures, taken at the Amsterdam show please see...
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5874016&posted=1#post5874016

D

DocBlade

That's a lovely looking little blade mate. Any idea what kind of sheath it'll come with?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmmmm,
Not really sure what to think. I followed the thread on BB about the development of the Spydie Bushie, but didn't think that this would be the result. I find most Spydies to be visually agressive or purposefull, but for me, this example has a big UK/European Bushcraft influence rather than US Survival - I cant shake the stereotype sorry.
Some of the things that supprise me are;
The near clone of a woodlore blade profile - I expected some sculpting/filework of the spine.
Stabilised wood scales - Good to see, but I expected black kraton with rubber inserts.
Spydie hole - "It's too small!", again I expected something akin to a Byrd hole that could be used for striking a firesteel or scraping an arrow shaft. Being that small, I would be cautious of using it for meat prep as it looks difficult to clean properly.
I have no doubt that, being a Spydie, the material, geometry and quality will be very high.
Despite my earlier comments, I would like to handle one to see how well it suits my hand - as it is "in the hand" that my knives either 'come alive' or 'die'.

Thanks for showing Chris.

Ogri the trog

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
wow cool another woodlore clone :rolleyes: Im with you Ogri, this doesnt strike me as a Spidie, stablised wood scales on a spidie ? Kraton would have made for something different, im not a lover of the 5 mm choil either its a waste of a bit of blade ive never understood why knife makers do that? its probably because they are makers and not users eh ;)
Thumbs down from me.:(

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i like it, i thiunk it's different enough from the woodlore to stand out, and has enough of the spyderco influence in it. I like the fact that spyderco just tried to make something that worked rather than going for an outlandish design for no reason.

Also, who would really prefer kraton to stabilised wood? wood is an infinitely nicer material and i think it's the right choice for this sort of knife

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Looks like I've opened another can-o-worms,
Please don't get me wrong, I do like wood as a knife handle, but I also see that it has some down-sides. Wood offers a good, confident grip (so long as it fits the hand) and correctly treated, remains comfortable for extended periods. However, it can suffer in the wet (I know it is stabilised) both the wood itself and the grip that it offers. A kraton/rubber handle could be molded similar to a mora, carrying a Spyder logo, and be capable of the occasional trip through the dishwasher to clean it up. I also think that a synthetic handle might offer better "wet" grip than stabilised wood.
As to the hole - it almost looks as though the blade was ground from second-hand stock. Do any other fixed blade Spydies have a hole?

I'm sorry to say that, at the moment, it's another woodlore clone with a slightly different handle - something I could easily knock up myself.

Ogri the trog

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I think your missing the point Nat there are hundreds of knives out there like this one, woodlore clone stabalised wood scales etc etc, this comes from a manufacturer of mass produced knives that have a sertain style, this one hasnt got that style its a drab looking woody clone that you can get from a large number of knife makers around the globe for probably the same price this ones going to cost but with a custom maker you can choose scale material etc, i would have thought spyderco would have jazzed it up to their other knives standards, it looks like they could have had some bum advice on this knives styling :twak: spyderco are usually innovative and sexy this one looks bland and same old same old, come on spydey break the mould some thing new is needed! :slap:

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
maybe ya'll worrying too much about what it looks like without having used the thing, it looks a bit like a woodlore, but then don't most bushcraft knives? this kniofe has thinner stock, a different handle shape and a slightly different blade shape. At the end of the day all spydercos are designed to work well, with looks being a secondary concern.

and the round hole is a spyderco trademark on all of their knives- even all of the fixed blades. It could be used as a forward lanyard maybe

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Wow, where to start.

I don't know what the finished knife will cost. This is something that only Sal can answer and probably won't be revealed until the knife is ready for sale.

Not sure about the sheath yet. We sent Sal a prototype ambidexterous leather sheath with eyelets at strategic points to allow for neck and baldric style carry. We haven't had any feedback as to the feasability of the design. Leather isnt' something that Spyderco have used before. I like Kydex, but leather would suit this style knife better.

There is the possibility that a version using modern materials, stainless blade and synthetic handle, and a flat grind, will be considered, but that is still in the air.

As for being a Woodlore clone, come on :lmao: Its no more a clone than the Skookum is a clone of the BCFK because it too has a plate on the butt.

While there are plenty of custom makers making full tang scandis, I have been hard pressed, since Wilkinson Sword went under, to suggest a production knife like this when asked by newcomers to suggest a knife. Here is a chance for people to by a production knife, with closer controls on heat treatment and fit and finish, than you might get by going with a hobby maker.

Oh yeah, all Spyderco fixed blades have the hole. Its a trade mark.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Personally, I'm glad they didn't go with Kraton for the handle. :yuck: Then I'd have to haul my dishwasher out into the field just to wash my knife. :lmao:

bush1.jpg

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That hole looks very odd. I can understand it's a Spydie trademark and see it's purpose on the folders, but it looks very strange there. I'd prefer it moved down to the tip so you could use it to lever in a guillotine action, if it has to be there.

I also sympathise with the arguments against a wooden handle. I guess a wooden handle still has to be hand-finished, at least to some degree. I'd have thought man-made of some description would be easier to mass produce and hence cheaper.

I guess I was expecting more of an "upmarket mora" than a "downmarket woodlore/custom".

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That was due to problems with the scales being fitted in a humid enviornment and then being sent to Sal in Golden where it is a bit warm! The scales shrank, but I believe they weren't stabalised. Chris knows the full story better than I, needless to say it is a prototype knife, so not what will definitely be for sale at the end.

I must say, I still have my reservations about the hole. It's just the look of it, I can't help but think countersinking it like the DKPK would look a bit better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE