Berghaus/northface bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I am 'lucky' enough to work for a large outdoor retailer. as a result i receive a generous employee discount. i am currently looking to buy a lghtweight waterproof and breathable jacket that will also be relatively hardwearing, however as our main brands are northface and berghaus i am kind of restricted to these brands.

I was considering a Berghaus Mera Peak jacket or something similar?

Can anybody recommend a decent jacket from one of these brands??

Thanks all.

Dan

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Dont you know ?, not having a go at you personally but do you not get any product training just in case a customer asks something like, ' i want a jacket that is breathable, lightweight and hardwearing, what do you reccomend ?

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Bit harsh in the reply me thinks.

Have a look in the forum searchs mate.

Personally i wouldn't get one as it will melt by the fire or get holes in it from sparks. I bought an army surplus SAS windproof smock for £20. Just got to get some cotton proof and i'm sorted.
I never take my good waterproof away for bushcraft, i have a Technicals e-vent jacket for normal use.

hope this helps.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've had a Berghaus XCR 3 layer goretex jobby for about 2.5 years and have given it a right hammering through mountainbiking, bushcraft and general walking etc and cant fault it. I have had to reproof with Nikwax over the last 6 months or so, but to look at it it still looks more or less brand new, so can certainly recommend Berghaus!
I had a NF Talkeetna Hyvent Jacket before this. This was also an excellent jacket but after a year or so it needed re-proofing. I also like the Berghaus as its a slighly longer cut for the really nasty weather, but also has an elasticated waist cord so can be tucked up to make it a bit more "trendy" for the town. The pockets and hood on the Berghaus are a bit better too. So in conclusion they are both good jackets but i'd favour the Berghaus. Hope this helps a tad.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I am well aware that the majority of hiking jackets are probably a little unsuitable around a fire. i just wasn't sure if i'd missed the boat on a product that was as popular with bushcrafters as hikers.

obviously ventile and G1000 etc... are more hardwearing but is there something in between?

appreciate the input guys. Thanks!:D

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
paramo all the way ;) not the best for bushcrafting (as has been said, non-synthetic is better with fires), but in this climate I've yet to find anything to beat it on the hills. Personally I'm usually out and about in their velez adventure smock, can't fault it. Hope that helps!

oh and I know paramo isn't Berghaus / TNF... but you could always try to persuade the store to stock a wider range :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I am well aware that the majority of hiking jackets are probably a little unsuitable around a fire. i just wasn't sure if i'd missed the boat on a product that was as popular with bushcrafters as hikers.

obviously ventile and G1000 etc... are more hardwearing but is there something in between?

appreciate the input guys. Thanks!:D

What wood do you guys burn that put holes in your jackets?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
paramo all the way ;) not the best for bushcrafting (as has been said, non-synthetic is better with fires), but in this climate I've yet to find anything to beat it on the hills. Personally I'm usually out and about in their velez adventure smock, can't fault it. Hope that helps!

oh and I know paramo isn't Berghaus / TNF... but you could always try to persuade the store to stock a wider range :D

I'd recommend paramo too. The best jacket I have ever used, and is easy to reproof.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've had a Berghaus XCR tripple layer Goretex for a few years now and its a very good coat, very wind proof and water proof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE