Ray Mears latest programme

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Tomtom, thats exactly the point and hence the silence. If we are critical no matter how justly the thread is closed.

Only one opinion is allowed it would seem and as such those who say nothing now speak loudest. :super:

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
What a shame - all this acrimony about a TV program

Surely reasoned criticism is acceptable? I'd be interested in hearing what people didn't enjoy about the program and why, just as much as I'm interested in knowing what people liked

For the record, another peaceful hour chez boaty while even the 8 & 10 year olds sat enjoying the show - in fact the kids had been getting excited all day - "Isn't Ray Mears on tonight?"

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I think the discussion that went on based on the first episodes was that the show was not showing intricate bushcraft skills. I think by now we all agree that clearly that is not the object of this series. Once we've gotten that out the way and start to judge the show as sort of a tribute to the splendour of bushcraft and bushcraft people, I don't have too much critical things to say. I think Ray is doing a good job by clearly showing his love for the bush and bushcraft people. That has to be 'contagious'...

Lennart

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Actually I didn't have anything critical to say about the programme (I didn't watch it); I was just surprised by the solely appreciative nature of the comments.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i`m suprised that the bitching hasnt started yet and im glad it hasnt as its all tiring really , i thought they were all good and there was lots to learn if you watched carefully, , people saying not much bushcraft when there was absolutely stacks of it , people were living it for real not playing in the woods at the weekend trying out their new super stove ot whatever also he doesnt make the series the bbc does , some people just want to slag someone off which is rather pathetic i find

M

Metala Cabinet

I quite agree. Personally I (and I'm sure all right thinking people would agree) would happily sell off my home and all it's contents as well as sell myself and my family into bonded servitude just for the privilige of crawling over rubble and faeces-encrusted broken glass to hear a certain person fart on the radio.

Actually I thought the first half of the prog or so was really interesting but the stuff with the animal cameraman had been better done elsewhere. Bit of a shame though when it's felt that criticising a programme someone makes is the same as criticising the person himself.

J

Jamie

Zacary said:
Tomtom, thats exactly the point and hence the silence. If we are critical no matter how justly the thread is closed.

Only one opinion is allowed it would seem and as such those who say nothing now speak loudest. :super:

Zacary

That is a little unfair as that is not the reason the thread got closed down. The thread was closed down because of a couple of reasons:

1) the size of it was becoming unwieldy
2) many messages had started to go off topic

There is nothing to stop anyone from expressing an opinion - either positive or negative - but what we are looking for are threads that stay on topic and dont degenerate into mud slinging for the sake of it (either about the topic OR about people who post an opinion diametrically opposed to your own).

We have been lucky so far with this forum in that there has not been a great deal of call to moderate it, but with more and more people joining this will inevitably, and sadly, have to change. Ultimately, the final decision rests with both the Admin and Mods.

That being said.....enjoy, and everyone, please remember the 'spirit' of this forum.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I just hope my dad recorded it for me. Sounds like I missed something well worth watching. I find it quite funny the way Ray has settled into been himself on TV. I cold be wrong and he might have created a personality just for work. I'm glad this thread hasn't ended up like the one I started, I was quite upset with the way that went.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
DUCky said:
I think the discussion that went on based on the first episodes was that the show was not showing intricate bushcraft skills. I think by now we all agree that clearly that is not the object of this series. Once we've gotten that out the way and start to judge the show as sort of a tribute to the splendour of bushcraft and bushcraft people, I don't have too much critical things to say

al said:
people saying not much bushcraft when there was absolutely stacks of it , people were living it for real not playing in the woods at the weekend

Exactly :biggthump

G

Ginja

I thought it was 'okay' ... in that I'll certainly be watching the rest of the series.

BUT ...

I appreciate that the peoples of Africa (and elsewhere) actually 'live' bushcraft, rather than enjoy it as a passtime, or even a career. And it was interesting to get a glimpse into these people's society and culture, etc. But I think it's fair to say that most of us have seen this style of programme before - I mean, how many times have you watched someone on TV looking a big cats through a pair of binoculars, etc, etc? It's not that it's a bad show, it's just that a lot of it is all too familiar - and I'm not talking about bushcraft here, but things like how the elephants were killed off by early hunters/settlers - sure, it's good to spread the message about conservation and sustainable development, but there are people MUCH better suited to doing this than Mr Mears. David Attenborough being one!

Stick to what you do best Ray, and leave the nature documentaries to the pros! Otherwise it runs the risk of being 'Wish You Were Here, With Ray Mears' !!

G :wink:

But I WILL be watching the rest of 'em, for sure ...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Great Pebble said:
According to the blurb in the paper that was the last one...

The next 5 or 6 programs are in the spring. Looks like a 2 in one place 2 in another format so maybe we will get a range of places altogether. There have been other british isles programs mentioned so they must be later.

Bill

G

Ginja

Great Pebble said:
According to the blurb in the paper that was the last one...

Aw, shucks! This is like one of Aesops' Fables ... I have a little 'pop' at the series, then find out seconds later that it's already come to an end - just when I was starting to look forward to the next one!

Anyway. Have heard he's meant to be bringing out a new book to accompany it, but that could well be idle gossip.Sure we'll find out here soon enough ...

G

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I thought it was interesting that although Ray went on Safari with the Masai, he took his own kit and food. I would have expected him to be carrying the same as the Masai guide.
When the Masai made a brew, he only made it for himself. It seemed a bit strange.

Unfortunately, I don't think the wildlife section worked that well. Other wildlife programmes have shown these things better, especially when it came to getting the animals on film! If anything, it showed that filming wildlife isn't easy!

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
Good program this time.
I also liked the lightweight kit the Masai carried.
Drinking through his 'cloak' seemed a good idea but I would still liked to have boiled it.
Saying that I don't thing he would have drunk it knowing it was not safe. Like Last weeks drinking the Blood. Nothing wrong with that Safety wise just not palatable for us Westerners.

You could have some fun cutting from the blood drinking to Ray just after his Hand Painting. (Vamp) :yikes: :rolmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE