DoE Changes & Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
With the DoE expedition changes (time spent rather than distance) and bushcraft becoming a bigger part of the syllabus, has anyone started teaching the students any bushcraft yet to bulk out their days?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Im off doing a course for DoE next weekend Lithril - I'll let you know how it goes. :biggthump

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Please Gary, I've been talking to some of the local groups, including the school that I help out at and they're very interested in introducing the bushcraft aspect as it compliments the expedition/exploring section nicely. The trouble with most of the schools is that none of them really know where to start.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
No worries mate, what I am doing is for MOD (cadet forces) but I am sure it would able be applicable to schools and scouts as its all the same award.

I will get the low down on it all and let you know.

Might even be in a position to help you with the programme/teaching but first let me find out the full score.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hi Lithril, how's tricks ?
I'm running the D of E for Thame 594 sqn and I've been teaching them Bushcraft for about a year now as they love the subject and it fits in nicely with Expedition training and being shot down and surviving behind enemy lines etc as pilots possibly could be. (kids love all that type of stuff ) I wasn't aware they were focussing more on it for D of E officially now though. I'll have to check out the website. my lot may have the jump on it then which would make a change :super:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm not bad thanks, long time no see.

There is actually a bushcraft section on the DoE syllabus now. I think the key thing with this is that if a group doesn't want to walk as far or plans to finish slightly early in a day, instead of extending the route, they can actually plan bushcraft into the day.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Lithril,

As far as I can ascertain the expedition part of DoE isn't changed its still distance x days ect.

What has changed is the Skill part of the syllabus - the bushcraft/survival syllabus is run between 3 - 6 months and has to be tested by a competent person. However if you are their instructor you cannot also be their adjudicator - this is what I am doing this weekend.

The adjudicator can advise on how the syllabus should be run but he cannot teach only test.

Try this address,

http://www.theaward.org/involved/index.php?ids=48,120,340,1183&id=1046

That should get you there.

I will let you know how the adjudicationg goes when I get back.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If it hasn't changed now then its about too, its to try and give less able people that couldn't cover the distance a chance to obtain the award.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sound fair enough to me - anyway have a look at the link, it might help.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I thought there were certain things less that people with ess ability could do and still get the award. I had nobody to test half my stff so it fell through after the camping and service.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
You're still young enough to complete it if you wanted too. Up till now the expedition part was a realy struggle for less able persons

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
The D of E has changed- you spend a certain number of hours in 'daylight activity' rather than walking a minimum distance. This means you can spend time teaching bushcraft skills at a fixed site. Or doing any other activity where participants are learning/ investigating. Additionally bushcraft is now accepted as a skill (indeed other Isle of Wight groups are interested in having me teach it as a skill) by the D of E. Hope this helps, Jim. :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE