Rucksack Raincover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hello I'm looking for a rain cover for my Web-tex PLCE 3/4 size, know of somewhere i can buy one?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Instead of buying all my stuff, I try to make it myself. :wink: I just use a black garbage bag, with some holes for the shoulder strops. The holes are reinforced with duct tape. :biggthump

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I know my shop sells them. You can find a lot of rucksacks actually have them hidden! But your best bet would be your local outdoors shop.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
They are only environmentally unsound if you dump them all over the place, unless you are someone who thinks that they are unsound cos they are plastic and fundamentally unsound. In which case our use of them as rucsac covers is negligible in the worldview of things.
In terms of cost they are negligible compared to retail stuff.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
beachlover said:
They are only environmentally unsound if you dump them all over the place, unless you are someone who thinks that they are unsound cos they are plastic and fundamentally unsound. In which case our use of them as rucsac covers is negligible in the worldview of things.
In terms of cost they are negligible compared to retail stuff.

Well, I doubt anyone on this forum would be dumping bin bags all over the countryside but flimsy bags like that are going to have bits torn off of them by simply putting the bag down, brushing past branches and bits will fall off and fly away. I agree, it's not a big problem like dumping thousands of barrels of crude oil into the ocean but it's still wasteful and damaging.

As for the cost, yes, binbags are cheaper and more redily available than 3/4 size bergen covers but you're going to get through them like hot cakes and then there's the gaffa tape re-enforcement and it just seemed like more agro than it's worth.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Paganwolf said:
Camping and general in canvey island does them.. :wink:

oohhh I went there the other day, I'll have to cross over into the forbidden lands and visit it again. :wink:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
why not just ger a rucksack liner.. or a large drybag.. put it inside your backpak and put you kit in that.. and just let your backpack get wet..

the propblem with those rain covers, or bugs as they are called.. are often a bright colour, which sticks out like a numb thumb in the woods!

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Id go for making sure that all your kit was water proofed inside your ruck sack first and not to worry about the ruck sack getting wet. Bin bags as mentioned are to thin and don't last five minutes. You can buy really thick black bags from Builders merchants for putting building rubble in . Cheap as chips(20p) and accompanied with a thick elastic band is as good as any shop dry bag.

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
I am with Tomtom, in the army we always used garbage bags as liners for our packs. You can put your clothing in one bag and your sleep system in another and then pack them inside your pack out of harms way that way it doesn't matter what the weather does and as a plus you can still access the outer pockets to get at your food, water or in a soldiers case ammunition.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'm with Zac and Andy - I use insertion bags for my daysacks and such - I use a dry bag for my bergen so i can be 100% my dry stuff stays that way and I either pack my sleeping bag still inside the bivi and just pack it in or I will stick it into the dry bag as well.

Rain covers look very amateurish in many respects.

However I do carry a hi-Viz yellow one in my pack if I leading a group or going out onto the moors or mountains so if I need to be seen I can be - a sort of reverse of the Marines using white ones to hide their dpm bergens when in the snows of Norway.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Gary said:
However I do carry a hi-Viz yellow one in my pack if I leading a group or going out onto the moors or mountains so if I need to be seen I can be.

A good idea, although I carry a bright red windshirt instead of a pack cover, one of the teeny-tiny Montane ones, and that gives me an extra functional garment as well as a visibility marker. In my experience pack covers are never terribly weatherproof and seem to collect rain in every wrinkle. For the cheap-at-heart bin liners work far better inside your pack than over it, where they are protected by the pack fabric, but generally I wrap items in thin supermarket carrier bags and then tuck them into a GoLite pack liner (which is an hideously bright shade of orange - also handy when you need to be seen) to keep out the wet. Do consider how heavy the liner or pack cover you are buying is, as you might be surprised at the extra weight you could be toting around especially if you go for a canoe drybag or similar. You can buy ponchos designed with a sort of hump below the shoulders so that you wear them over yourself and your pack (more common in the USA than in Britain) and those might be an option if your idea of sartorial perfection is to dress like Quasimodo in a bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE