tinder bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Have a look in an old fasioned tobacconists - they sometimes have got an oilskin type of tobacco pouch which seems to work.

(Sorry about the spelling, but I'm not a smoker!!)

Graham.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I've got one of Gary's Ultimate tinder pouches and they are great. Quite big capacity and a spare slot in the back for some wet fire tinder in case your other stuff doesn't work.

Service was good from Gary as well.

Bill

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
The rubber tinder bag looks ideal i also like the leather pouch for a steel
and the Mini Folding Shovel looks interesting for foraging :biggthump

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use a standard fabric pouch because I found that a rubberised one didn't let the moisture leave the tinter. when it's perfectly dry, i transfer it into a little ziplock (you know, the plastic thingy...) bag and that keeps it dry even if I fall into a lake. Damn ambush lakes, always seem to jump out at me! :yikes:

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
I carry one of Bearclaws pouches too. I enquired about these from Gary and he said that the idea was to carry the pouch near the body where its warmth would dry out damp tinder, thus far this has worked well for me.

I also asked about the tinder getting wet as I do a lot of canoeing back home and he pointed out that the back pocket on the pouch was ideal for carrying wet-fire just in case, but he also pointed out that if I did take a swim I should also have enough skill to be able to find dry tinder on shore.

This is a good point I think, and now I use my tinder pouch as a back up supply and generally gather as I go so I have the tinder I need when I stop rather than using up the stuff I already carry, especially as this may be needed for an emergency (well you never know).

Just a thought.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Good point, never pass a nice dry source of tinder with out filling a pocket my smock inside pocket is always full of birch bark, dry fern ect when its full i take half n put it in a seperate bag, something else i used this weekend was some cotton waste from axminster tools I used it in my Fire piston it worked very well rolled into a ball and it takes a spark from a ~Fire spark :roll: very well. Oh I have a backy pouch from Gary, works very well its tucked in my possibles pouch with all my other goodies! :eek:):

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I too got a couple of Ultimate tinder pouches from Gary at Bearclaw Bushcraft. Nice pouches. Great service. I keep charcloth/flint/steel in one and Maya stick shavings and splinters in the other with a 12 bore guncartridge match safe and a few wetfire cubes. Rainy day ?!!! :yikes: Bring it on !!! :burnup:

jakunen

Native
I've got one of his pouches too. They are fan-bloomin-tastic!

I keep natural tinder one side and manmade the other (wet-fire, home made fire-lighter straws and char cloth), with my flint and steel. The little mesh divider really allows any dampness in the natural stuff to pass thru and evaporate, especially when it's kept in your shirt pocket.

Keep meaning to get another one...and get one of those nice leather pouches for the flint and steel...

Damn, so much for me not spending any more money on kit...

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Don't have one of Gary's pouches, so to speak, but from the website they look to be identical to the rubbery-plastic tobacco pouch I bought from Aston's tobacconist in Manchester (down to the clearly zombie-influenced shade of green). Very effective and, usefully, the pouch itself takes up very little space. I've also used one of the GoLite SilNylon stuffsacs I got free for filling in a product registration card, although I'm not sure if that offer is still open and naturally you have to have bought something from GoLite in order to register it... SilNylon is very good and also light, but not quite as waterproof as the pouch.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I've also got an ultimate tinder pouch from Gary. Its a perfect tinder pouch and first class service from the man himself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE