The tail of the unlucky slow worm...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am not sure where mods draw the line about wether a thread should be in Fair game or not...
Hopefully this one will be ok here but please move if nec...

I was looking out the kitchen window when I saw a rook jumping about in some long grass. It was behaving really weird and I wondered what was going on.
Anyway, it came out of the long grass and I could see it had a slow worm and was struggling with it... It looked like it wasn't too sure about the slow worm, and it didn't seem to like it wrapping itself around its neck, but it persisted.
I suddenly remembered the camera, so I ran to get it... When I got back the rook was still struggling with it, but my batterys were dead in my camera...:banghead: I got some more in there pretty quick, but just as I was turning the camera back on the rook flew off....:banghead: :banghead:
I then remembered that slow worms often drop their tails when threatened, so I ran out there, hoping to find the head end of the slow worm, but this was not a lucky slow worm as all I found was its tail...
001648x486.jpg

For those that do not know.... A slow worm, being a leg less lizard can drop off its tail, and when its dropped it will wriggle, while the main body will keep still... This can make the predator pick up the tail rather than the head, so the slow worm can live another day... They will then grow a new tail...

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
For those that do not know.... A slow worm, being a leg less lizard can drop off its tail, and when its dropped it will wriggle, while the main body will keep still... This can make the predator pick up the tail rather than the head, so the slow worm can live another day... They will then grow a new tail...

Well I've just learned something new !

cheers :)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Skin it and tan it and you could have a .......... slow worm leather pen holder? ....... or maybe a firesteel holder! - bet that would be the only one in the country! :D

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Someone call? I've chased off magpies and cats from slow-worms round here and I've managed to rescue a few. Some seem to make a full recovery even with some horrible wounds on them.

Here's a photo of some of our locals if anyone's interested.

slowworms.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Someone call? I've chased off magpies and cats from slow-worms round here and I've managed to rescue a few. Some seem to make a full recovery even with some horrible wounds on them.

Here's a photo of some of our locals if anyone's interested.

Nice one.... I used to be involved in reptile surveying and would often find a nest of them like in your pic...

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
I love slow worms, I've only ever seen one once but I think they're great. My brother used to see them in the garden of my house some years before I was born, but never after (my rugged charm must have intimidated them!).
Great golden colour on the juveniles in that pic.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Used to be involved in survey/relocation of Slow Worms (Well all of the big 5 actually) of all our natives the slow worm does have a certain charm!

And as you say they are anything but slow!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE